View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
Keysdisease
Guru

City: South Florida
I do it all the time, single with no bow thruster. My home dock is side to on a protected canal as pictured in my avatar. Once I had the routine down it was easy. Of course the prevailing winds were right down the canal, and I had to do a 180* turn at the dock which with a couple of back and fills put me right there.

When I was new to this boat and dock I would "rest" the bow against the front outboard piling, run up and put a line on it, and pivot in forward with full turn the remaining 90*. I could also just let the wind do it, slow but safe and easy.

At my home dock The lines are left there and are loops to just drop over cleats, but I still keep a dock line ready both on the bow and at the stern "just in case." Boat hook is always readily available as well

At the dock I use in the Keys it can be more challenging and I do need help if the conditions are not within an acceptable envelope. The docks are exposed to any wind from a Northern quadrant, which puts the boat beam to the wind when backing in. This would not be a real problem if there was a middle piling to "rest on," but there is only the front piling and the dock behind. I either need someone aboard or help from the dock in these situations.

I hope this is helpful, whenever possible use the wind and current, they can sometimes be your friend

Keysdisease is online now   Reply With Quote