Travels of "Emma B" (JD powered Helmsman)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durant F

Guru
Vessel Name
Emma B
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
Quick update.
Scott was kind enough to come with me through the lock from Lake Union out. Made it to Port Ludlow the first night July 26th. Since then have been to Everett (strong currents docking alone), Friday Harbour (love it!), checked into customs and stayed a couple of days at Sidney on Vancouver Island (love it too), went further along to Van Isle Marina (great spot). From there to Chemainus, then Lady Smith, on to Nanaimo. Friends I have met for many years sailing in the Abaco's live there. We had a couple of great visits and all commented how odd it seemed meeting there, not in the Bahamas. Today I crossed the Strait of Georgia. It had been blowing but today was near flat calm. Felt like fog the entire crossing with the smoke from the BC fires! It is literally that much of a smoke haze! Tieing up at Gibsons for a few days. My good friend John will be happy to get my dingy, outboard tools and various other gear out of his garage that he so graciously stored for me after I sold my last boat. I'll be happy to get the items back as well. He's away until Monday..... I feel a Tuesday morning hangover coming on :)
While in Chemainus, I picked up and installed a 265 watt solar panel. It mounted nicely on the aft cockpit upper deck extension. Even with the haze it has kept me from plugging in since installed.
Once my other gear is aboard and visits over, I'll be Desolation asound bound... then the Broughtons

Attachments

• IMG_2288.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
Nice write-up. Ive enjoyed reading about your new boat, John Deere etc. Keep the reports coming Capt!

A few random pictures...
Was fortunate enough to be invited to crew in the "duck dodge" race on Lake Union before leaving. What a treat!! Put too many boats on a relatively small lake ranging from high end 'go fast' to low end party boats....you end up with the most fun race ever!! It was a hoot!! (thanks Roger!)

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Looking pretty at Nanaimo

Attachments

• IMG_2257.jpg
    IMG_2257.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 401
Thanks for taking us along. I will be back to work Monday, so please keep transmitting on this channel.

Cheers,

Jeff

@ Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island, WA

Picture was leaving Friday Harbour about 6:15am

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 340
Enjoyed a few cocktails on the dock with neighbors last night.
Those old enough to remember the tune "sign sign everywhere a sign" by "Five Man Electric Band" will appreciate this picture

Attachments

• IMG_2355.JPG
    IMG_2355.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 351
Gibson's anchorage looking mystical...

Attachments

• IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 372
I've owned too many sailboats and a handful of power....but this is my first fly bridge. Must say I'm truly enjoying it!! A few cocktails tonight with good friends before heading to dinner....

Attachments

• IMG_2394.JPG
    IMG_2394.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 358
It truly is a small world for boaters.
Last fall I helped a friend take his boat S from Kingston Ontario down to West Palm Beach Florida. While loading the boat at 7:30am in Kingston preparing to depart, Jim taps me on the shoulder and says "I think those folks know you". I look over and Mike and Sue from "Island Flyer" that I've known for many years cruising southern waters were up N cruising in Sue's boat. Was too funny meeting them in such a different area.
Last week Andy and Cathy joined me for drinks aboard Emma B while I was docked in Nanaimo, their home town. They too are sourthern water cruising friends.
Some of the friendships we make are special. Jim and I hit it off instantly when we met years back. Come to find out we have the exact same birthday (different years) I met up with he and Deb often in the Abaco's and it was always fun. They had an offshore ketch that sailed beautifully. About 4 years ago they sold the ketch and bought a great lil Albin trawler so they could trailer to different places.
He powered across the Gulf Stream to the Abaco's with it and we had many a good visit there that year. I clearly remember him pulling anchor in Black Sound on Green Turtle Cay to head back home and thinking "hope we get to meet again". We kept in touch and both he and Deb wanted to see the beauty of the PNW. They launched in Bellingham WA and we met up last night anchoring in Garden Bay, Pender Harbour. Seemed odd to turn into the bay and see "Rum Blurr" anchored there. (Love the name) My anchor was barely down and they were over for...yes...a few rums, followed by a BBQ steak dinner.
It truly is the friendships you make along the way that is the best part of cruising.

Attachments

• IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2451.JPG
    IMG_2451.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 292
Cleared Pender Harbours entrance rocks this morning and were treated by a pod of Orcas. Great start to the day!!

Attachments

• IMG_2469.jpg
    IMG_2469.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 267
Cleared Pender Harbours entrance rocks this morning and were treated by a pod of Orcas. Great start to the day!!

Excellent! The orcas have always tried to run and hide whenever I've been around. I have only seen them a few times.

Spent a long day in Powell River provisioning as we intend to explore away from marinas for a while. Both RumBlurr and Emma B have good solar power to run our lights and fridges at anchor.
Felt like students taking the bus out to the mall to stock up.
Made a basic folding BBQ table from scrap plywood another boater was throwing out. Works better than expected for a quick idea after spotting the scraps.
Filled with food, fuel and water, we left at 6:45am today headed for Desolation Sound. I have a quick stop here at Lund to say hello to a friend and then meet Jim n Deb at Melanie Cove later. Calling for much needed rain. Hopefully enough to put out the forest fires that have been raging inland. Feels great to be up here!

Attachments

• IMG_2495.JPG
    IMG_2495.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Anchor down in Melanie Cove, Desolation Sound.
WOW... I'm used to fall cruising here and have been spoiled with these anchorages all to myself. 23 boats in the Cove tonight.
The trip up was very nice. The haze from the fires seems to be lifting somewhat. Should get the much needed rain later tonight.

It is raining steadily here in Nanaimo, so hopefully it is raining there as well to clear the air. I haven't noticed any smoke here today. Not sure how far inland this rain goes, but I hope it hits the fire areas as well.

In the local grocery store they are taking a collection for those BC residents displaced by the fires.

Spent a few nice days at Melanie Cove. Fishing was as good as the scenery.
I caught several nice Rock Cod daily and a few smaller Red Snapper but Jim got the big one with this nice Red Snapper and Ling cod.
Working our way to Gorge Harbour. Anchored out for tonight near Cortes Bay.
Have a slip booked for tomorrow in Gorge. Loving it out here! Loving my little trawler too.

Attachments

• IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2626.JPG
    IMG_2626.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 4,190
Nice calm night at anchor in a shallow bay on Cortes Isl.
Today we are booked in at Gorge Harbour Marina. Beautiful place, awesome docks and wonderful grounds.
Jims ole Albin 27 aft cabin is a great Lil cruiser.

Attachments

• IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 257
We just missed you it appears. We dinghies through Melanie Cove yesterday afternoon.

Yep....a "just miss" for sure!
In Gorge Harbour the last few nights....
Heading out tomorrow. Either Heriot bay or Octopus Islands
Weather is awesome!

"You know you're red neck when..."

Enjoyed watching an older Ford half ton come down the public dock, unload a 4x4 ATV, proceed to attach it to the winch, then load it on a relatively small boat (I assume for delivery to an out island) to go ???
Yep...easily entertained out here ?

Attachments

• IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 212
Currently in "Heriot Bay Inn-Marina"
One of my favourite funky spots...
Nice to see a new entrance dock and ramp.
With such a short season.....nice to see the $$ spent on improvements!!
Great restaurant, awesome food store just up the hill behind, and friendly folks.
Hard to beat it here....

Attachments

• IMG_2771.JPG
    IMG_2771.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 173
Looking good at Heriot Bay
Underway to Octopus Island now

Attachments

• IMG_2777.JPG
    IMG_2777.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 180
The Octopus Islands are great! Well protected and enough nooks n crannies to anchor in that it takes a lot of boats to feel crowded. Crabbing has been good. Super area to explore with your dingy

Attachments

• IMG_2852.JPG
    IMG_2852.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 161
If a picture can tell a thousand words...here's some good reading on the Octopus Islands area.
Was interesting to see the eagle fend off the vultures. They gave him lots of space!

Attachments

• IMG_2977.JPG
    IMG_2977.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2978.JPG
    IMG_2978.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2979.JPG
    IMG_2979.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 171
Crabbing was good.
Check the size in bottom right of trap

Attachments

• IMG_2980.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 182
In at Cambell River getting stocked up. First time there...excellent stop as there is so much within steps of the marina including an extremely large grocery store with very good prices.
Heading up to anchor on NW Cortes tonight. Will time the 5 sets of rapids tomorrow heading further N.
While crossing the strait, I had visitors....

Attachments

• IMG_3123.JPG
    IMG_3123.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 848
  • IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_3126.JPG
    IMG_3126.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 149
Later.....more visitors!!

A total of 5 times yesterday!!
Crazy eh

Attachments

• IMG_3258.JPG
    IMG_3258.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_3260.JPG
    IMG_3260.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_3261.JPG
    IMG_3261.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 153
Anchored in VonDonop inlet, Cortes Isle for a quiet night.

Ended up timing/running all 5 tidal rapids today and kept going on up to Port Neville. Easy trip up but got beat up a bit on Johnstone Strait.
Good lurning experience for the new boat. Camanos definitely like power on and "bow up" when the wind picks up!

Many times today it was simply mystical!!
Gotta love the PNW!!

Attachments

• IMG_3348.JPG
    IMG_3348.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3361.JPG
    IMG_3361.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 159

Latest posts