Marine Trader/Cummins Tach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PCoch

Veteran Member
Has anyone come across a source for a tachometer that will fit the Cummins instrument panel of my 1990 Marine Trader Tradewinds? It currently has VDO 4000 RPM units.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Has anyone come across a source for a tachometer that will fit the Cummins instrument panel of my 1990 Marine Trader Tradewinds? It currently has VDO 4000 RPM units.

I would get a part number on your current one. VDO is still in business. Even if it was a Cummins OEM installation it may have a Cummins part number. You can cross reference it with VDO. Also call Seaboard Marine in Oxnard California and they should be able to help you out. Should be an easy find!

Tons of those around, some have Hobbs built in too. Don't get screwed for price on them, they are not particularly well-made, try and get one NOT from a marine source. If you buy that panel from Cummins it will be close to $1200! Baker's advice is golden.

VDO tachs

I have at least 2 4K square faced VDO tachs that I pulled from my Marine Trader Tradewinds CPMY when I switched to digital. It had 250 Cummins. I say a pair as I pulled lower and flybridge but I may have used one. They are at my shop and I can check tomorrow.

If you buy that panel from Cummins it will be close to $1200! Baker's advice is golden.

I was not suggesting buying the whole panel...although you can. I have found them on eBay for around $500. Seaboard sells the for around $1200 like you said. If those are OEM Cummins then you have an OEM Cummins engine harness. It would truly allow to "plug and play" if you bought the entire panel.

The only reason I know all this is because I am currently redoing my entire engine panels. Carver butchered the original engine harness to put in their own instruments and not Cummins/VDO. I Spent $2000 alone in just gauges and wire and senders. Labor is likely to be just as much. I am rewiring the entire panel as well so sire has to pulled from the engine room to the flybridge.

It occurred to me while out last night that I could just get the part # off of the starboard tach that was replaced by the previous owner several years ago. I was unable to locate the part # of the port oem tach.

I have at least 2 4K square faced VDO tachs that I pulled from my Marine Trader Tradewinds CPMY when I switched to digital. It had 250 Cummins. I say a pair as I pulled lower and flybridge but I may have used one. They are at my shop and I can check tomorrow.

Any luck on the tach?

Sorry for delay ... old age!!

I have 2 - 4K square VDOs. They are from the lower helm so have the hour meters. $50.00 for pair + postage if interested.

Sorry for delay ... old age!!

I have 2 - 4K square VDOs. They are from the lower helm so have the hour meters. $50.00 for pair + postage if interested.

Thanks, but that won't help. How difficult was switch to digital? Do you have info on what you installed?

The original VDOs are larger diameter. I had to make a filler from black starboard so that the 3 3/8" tachs would fit. I used original tach wire and the common gauge ground. Instructions want shielded twisted pair wire but that was last resort if I ran into signal problems. They were working well when I sold the boat.

If your current tachs use alternator signal then you will need mag pickup for flywheel. I think I got my components from Seaboard Marine but that was over 12 years ago.

Still have the tachs?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom