replacing engine fuel lines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mach_cat

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 Hardin Sedan 42
I had 1 line develop a leak, this is from the fuel filter to the fuel pump.
Line rusted a pin hole leak. This is a steel line.
Since it from the filter on the engine to fuel pump on the engine it is a low pressure line. I believe it would be under vacuum.
Can this be replaced with a flex line??
Engine is deere 4045.

Think I would just replace it with OEM and focus efforts on preventing rust from claiming any other engine parts.

Ted

Metal OEM is nice, but a guess is that flexible hose is fine.

That metal line from on engine filter to fuel pump on my Lehman is flex but used to be metal

Probanly the big no no is if it deteriorates, it doest take out your fuel pump.

Serious doubt I can get an ome part. Older engine and these change depending on fuel pump. Might just have to make one.

4045 is current production. They've made tons of those motors. Take a picture of the ID plate which will have the serial and specific model number. Then take a pictureof the filters and lift pump. Finally, remove the tube and then go see your JD dealer. You might be surprised how easy it is.

Ted

Went to the dealer today. No joy, no line available.My engine is from 1995 and that line is no long available. A high pressure flex line was recommended.
Found a great hydraulic shop in Ballard (Nebar) that fixed me right up.

As to solving the rust. It was there whe I got the boat.
Working through all the systems 1 by 1.

Most hydraulic shops can make new fuel hoses. Best to take your old hoses in so they can custom make them for you.last year replaced all raw, coolant oil and fuel hoses.

Last edited:
Why not a good quality hose?

I'll bet the steel line failure was related to vibration. Maybe used a high pressure steel line that has/had too much carbon and thus was too brittle. A posibility.

Hose replaced every five years or so seems like a better bet. We have marine fuel hose for that application.

So my answer is yes. But I'm not a mechanic or engineer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom