Diagnosing Norcold Fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lowcountry

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Endeavour
Vessel Make
'87 Island Gypsy
Yesterday, I noticed our Norcold DE-0061 was no longer cold. I figured one of our kids didn't shut it completely. Today, still warm.
I pulled it out. It's still getting both ac and dc power. The green "on" light is on. None of the 3 fuses are blown. The compressor and fan are not coming on. I put a multimeter on the compressor electrical contacts and it's getting 12v.
How likely is it that the compressor is done?

Happens to ours all the time. Defrost it. It will cool down quickly after you remove all of the ice from the freezer and on the top side of the fridge above the drip pan.

I think it's less likely than something external to the compressor. On place to check that you haven't mentioned is the "thermostat". Make sure it is actually passing power when you turn it to the coldest setting.

Ken

I guess I'm assuming if the compressor is getting 12v, it should be on/running?

Yesterday, I noticed our Norcold DE-0061 was no longer cold.
How likely is it that the compressor is done?

How old is the fridge? Does it have the new Danfoss style compressor or the old juice can compressor? If it's the newer style, probably worth a service call from a Norcold service tech. I replaced my 0061 about 8 years ago and it's a much improved unit.

Never cold....

Replace it with an Isotherm....

How old is the fridge? Does it have the new Danfoss style compressor or the old juice can compressor? If it's the newer style, probably worth a service call from a Norcold service tech. I replaced my 0061 about 8 years ago and it's a much improved unit.

Not sure of the age, as it came with the boat, but it looks like it has the Danfoss style compressor.

Not sure of the age, as it came with the boat, but it looks like it has the Danfoss style compressor.

If it still has the AC controls, it is not likely that the DC is Danfoss style. The old Norcold system was to use only AC compressors and invert from DC to AC when running supposedly on DC. This results in being able to continue using the fridge while away from AC power, but losses in the inversion process cost several amps to invert to AC.
My own experience was a saving by replacing those AC compressors (2) with a single Danfoss. Amperage drawn while on AC dropped from over 10 to under 3. I was able to reduce my house batteries by 1/2 and also carry a Danfoss powered freezer.
Now you have the opportunity to do the same.

A danfoss is easy to troubleshoot. A quick web search will give you step by step instructions

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom