Adventures of a new boat owner(1979 Mainship 34')

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It works great that dishwasher pump. Totally silent.
Added a video of it running and some more pics.
It does get warm, so will add the fan. It ran for 30 minutes without tripping its thermal breaker, but that is with the hatch open and the gen off. Not so hot I could not keep my fingers on the laminations.

If the bracket rusts, I can make one from SS sheet metal. It is coated with clear polyurethane.

Attachments

• 20170524_161419.jpg
    20170524_161419.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Some updates if anyone cares(these wont have pics :))

Trying to finish the setup of my cobbled together Sitex system. The boat came with a system missing the ECU so I bought a used replacement that in the end doesn't work. Got money back and still have the unit. Sitex wants $200 to fix but i'm going to replace the resistors to see if that works(doubtful). I have to have autopilot. The boat wanders quite a bit and i' tired of constantly steering(I'd still be vigilant).

I'm stuck @
1. Buy an entry level system complete for about $1,400 and install.
2. Buy a working guaranteed Sitex processor for $500. Problem here is I don't yet know if the rest of the system is functioning(ecu fix is step 1).
3. Take the risk and buy a used system.

Another option would be to test the reversing pump and compass somehow so I at least know they work and then go with the Sitex ECU.

I also am building a NMEA multiplexer using Raspberry PI/Arduino but while it's a great system doubt it could replace the Sitex ECU using openplotter/coding.

Some updates if anyone cares(these wont have pics :))

Trying to finish the setup of my cobbled together Sitex system. The boat came with a system missing the ECU so I bought a used replacement that in the end doesn't work. Got money back and still have the unit. Sitex wants $200 to fix but i'm going to replace the resistors to see if that works(doubtful). I have to have autopilot. The boat wanders quite a bit and i' tired of constantly steering(I'd still be vigilant).

I'm stuck @
1. Buy an entry level system complete for about $1,400 and install.
2. Buy a working guaranteed Sitex processor for $500. Problem here is I don't yet know if the rest of the system is functioning(ecu fix is step 1).
3. Take the risk and buy a used system.

Another option would be to test the reversing pump and compass somehow so I at least know they work and then go with the Sitex ECU.

I also am building a NMEA multiplexer using Raspberry PI/Arduino but while it's a great system doubt it could replace the Sitex ECU using openplotter/coding.

Dont know about your autopilot as i don't have one but seeing as how you're already using PI might consider OpenCPN chartplotter. Runs great on Pi with low wattage req. OpenCPN is an opensource chartplotter thats remarkably powerful and the ability to update your charts over wifi is even better. I've been using mine for over 2 years,looking now to intergrate my radar into it. Just a thought.

Got bored and decided to have a look under the deck where there was rot. This was supposed to be a fall job but I'm in too deep. Laying fiberglass with a constant stream of sweat isn't fun.

O8YKeU6l.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. Mr. Can't comment on your electronic projects but I CAN empathize with the "bull work". IF you've got one available, a honkin' big fan helps a lot for keeping you cooler when a goodly breeze won't foul up the works. I've also set up tarps for shade.

d1mHE.jpg

I finally finished. Could be better but i'm calling this one done(besides touch up paint on the gunnels.

It's just too hot right now. During this project I got so dehydrated enough to completely cramp up 3 times. Between that and not having weather breaks....

02RbrXPl.jpg

v75wdG7l.jpg

Positive note.. It's rock(extremely) solid. I overdid it which in hindsight caused some of my problems with time.

Other stuff i've done.

Filled a couple small spots by injecting Gorilla glue.(cant believe how well this works)

Fixed the windlass

Free'd up the windows(owner caulked them shut/Don't leak)

Fixed an engine hatch

Some other stuff I can't think of.

Only minor things left are.

New swim ladder(too short)
Remove outriggers(don't need or use them)
Autopilot

The Sitex autopilot pump works and to my knowledge the compass and rudder sensor but it's missing the CPU which Sitex wants $500 for. I'm thinking about just installing a simple autohelm system and getting rid of everything else.

Raymarine A65 broke a pin and a Garmin 3205 with a depth sounder that barely works.. Got frustrated and installed My dragonfly out of my smaller boat.. It has wifi and streams to my tablet.. Works great and simple.

Going to remove everything, bench test it and sell it.
8zHPtxvl.jpg

How thick was the core on in the cockpit, and what did you replace it with?

New dink. West marine/Sun Dolphin 9.4 watertender.
4oC0h8Um.jpg

q27ghDpm.jpg

ZABr2GPm.jpg

hE1zecKm.jpg

d6nOaikm.jpg

Installed an old Gamrin TR1 autopilot(currently giving me problems) but I got some good use out of it and most importantly realized I cant live without it. Have $350 in it.

I pulled all tops off the engine hatches and insulated them.. Huge difference in noise and lighter because alot of the weight is a trashed rubber sound deadener from 1978.

Added a 4 step swim ladder because you need to be a gymnast to use the one that was on there. I also removed the ladder from the swim platform over the transom which may have been a mistake but it gets in the way of the dink.

New 8' bimini top. It's a cheap generic kind so we'll see how it holds up but so far so good. I paid $250 on amazon for it.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ISD2ENC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New LED lights @ $10 each and fit perfect.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733RQDXL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had some minor storm surge at the marina but rather than let that ruin our memorial day we made it memorable.

Local restaraunt stayed open with inches of water inside and I lent out my dink to the local kids to play with. Motoring down the street got them on the news!
vfGhNbil.jpg

No damage to the boat(or any others in the marina) and all in good fun.

Continued the knockoff seadek into the interior.

Have to sand/level the edges but I think it looks good so far.
qYGlu85l.jpg

I also installed peel/stick led light strips around the engine bay.. So helpful to see in there.

Got a Garmin 74dv plotter and mated it with the Garmin TR1 autopilot for GPS waypoint steering but haven't been able to set it up.

I removed the turbo because I has having an exhaust leak @ the elbow.. The cast iron is just too rusted to create a good seal with the v-band clamp and I suspect it's leaking oil. I ordered a cheap Holset H1c knockoff from ebay for under $250 and will report back on after a long term review. Should be a slight upgrade but is basically the same turbo that was in there(holset 3ld).

List for the Fall/winter/spring(our tolerable weather window for work).

Transom door. Probably pay a fiberglass guy to do the work.
Bottom paint/haul out(way past due).
Clean up or replace the prop/zincs
Windlass. Mine is a old style that wont grab chain and very easily tangles.
I have a few oil leaks which of course creates an oily bilge and not acceptable. going to take all the aux parts off the engine to get a really good look/working space.

Flybridge looks great. What material did you use? And if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost? I bought my 1980 34 Mainship three years ago and couldn't be happier. I also have considered putting in a transom door and would be interested in hearing your plan on that.
Regards,
Sean

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom