Moving from sailboat to Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgriff375

Vessel Name
BabaNanu
Vessel Make
Hunter Legend 37.6
Dear All:
My name is Jim and I have been sailing for about 40 years. However, I plan to retire soon (my partner is already retired) and sailing is becoming too strenuous for me, as I have multiple back issues. I plan to switch to a trawler, as I do not have a desire to spend a fortune on fuel and I enjoy the comfort a trawler can provide Most likely between 31' to 34' ( max 36'). I plan to purchase a slightly used boat but may consider a new boat (I like to new 31' Ranger). I plan on using the boat as a retirement home and taking it from New York to Florida during the winter for a month or so (visiting many friends who have purchased homes in Florida). Therefore, I am interested in those boaters who have either Ranger 31' or Nordic tugs 34' for their reasons why you choose the particular boat you now own. And, your positive and negatives about your experiences with your trawler/tug. Thank you for your input. It's a difficult decision giving up my sailboat (38').
In addition, I plan to attend Trawlerfest this September 2017 in Maryland. Has anyone ever attending the seminars? Especially the boat handling seminar.

We moved from a 38' sailboat to a slightly larger Trawler this year.
We went slightly larger than you are considering but we each love our new boat!
It is simply amazing how much more living space there is in what is essentially a 1 foot longer boat.
If I were looking at a Ranger 31 vs a Nordic 34, I'd want the Nordic Tug. The 34 Nordic is my favorite Nordic and although I love the Ranger Tugs, the designs are a little cramped for my tastes. Innovative, no question but I can't see myself on one for long periods of time.
Best of luck shopping! It is a fun journey you are beginning...
Bruce

If you plan to spend a lot of time on the boat get the largest interior you can. They all shrink after a few months of living on them. Forget everything about sailboat interior because power offered interesting interior design options. It wont look sailboaty but that may prove a benefit. Look at the interior of a lot of boats for livability before deciding on the exterior shape.

One of my post sail boat objectives was to never get on a similar class boat and say I wish I had see that make before i bought mine, I never did.

Welcome aboard Jim!

I encourage you to also consider the American Tug 34. Like you, I am an ex-sailor, now 66 years young. I believe the AT 34 is the ultimate couple's boat - go check one out. Good luck.

David

Welcome Jim,

I made the move from sail to power a year ago. I agree with everything said so far. The Ranger is nice, but too small to live on comfortably in my opinion. The NT34 is a great boat for two, but again I think it is a bit cramped to live on for months at a time. The American Tug 34 is also a wonderful boat and a good alternative to the NT34, but I think too small for what I think you are planning.

Both the Nordic Tug and American Tug lines are very good boats but I would at the least look at the next larger offerings. There are also a bunch of other boats in that size that would be worth considering. Two I can think of would be Helmsman and North Pacific.

Again, welcome to TF.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

200.gif

Welcome aboard! To quote John Truesalt, "Oh Lord forgive me! I went out on a powerboat, and liked it!"

Dear Bruce:
Thanks for your input. You are correct about the Ranger being cramped. I really liked the Ranger set up especially the rear deck. But the Nordic has such wonderful space. I'm going to attend Trawlerfest in September and perhaps it will clarify some issues for me. But, you are correct, I'm at the beginning of my journey.
Thanks,
Jim

What make do you have? I like the set-up.
Jim

What make do you have? I like the set-up.
Jim

Are you asking me? We have an American Tug 395.
I'd second the motion that you at least look at an American Tug 34 or the newer 365 (those are the same boats by the way...).
Pretty awesome boats if you ask me!
Bruce

Both the Nordic Tug and American Tug lines are very good boats but I would at the least look at the next larger offerings. There are also a bunch of other boats in that size that would be worth considering. Two I can think of would be Helmsman and North Pacific.

Again, welcome to TF.

I knew North Pacific was coming from Dave, but very good recommendation from a former sail boater. I think either of the four brands mentioned has a lot to offer and they're good companies to work with.

Are you thinking new or used? If used, how old?

Also look at the engine spaces. I looked at a couple of small trawlers at the last Miami boat show and I couldn't figure out how to get to anything but the top of the engine! No room on either side.

We made the move from a 42 foot sailboat to a 42 foot powerboat. The difference in interior (and exterior) room is amazing. My brother in law described it this way. "You went from a banana shape to a shoebox shape and the shoebox has a lot more room." :D

We made the move from a 42 foot sailboat to a 42 foot powerboat. The difference in interior (and exterior) room is amazing. My brother in law described it this way. "You went from a banana shape to a shoebox shape and the shoebox has a lot more room." :D

Your brother in law nailed that one!
Bruce

I would most likely look at a 2-3 y/o boat but perhaps there will be a good deal on a new boat at the end of the season. Keeping an open mind.

... Most likely between 31' to 34' ( max 36'). I plan to purchase a slightly used boat but may consider a new boat (I like to new 31' Ranger). I plan on using the boat as a retirement home and taking it from New York to Fl ...

Unless your are single and a minmalist, such a small boat would have difficulties providing even minimal living accommodation.

Unless your are single and a minmalist, such a small boat would have difficulties providing even minimal living accommodation.

I would definitely move toward the upper end of the range he quoted. There is a size point, and it varies for different people, where tolerable turns to comfortable, and if you're going to live on it or spend a lot of time on it, comfortable is worth it.

Welcome aboard.
We went from a Sailboat to a Trawler, no regrets yet.
I also had a Hunter 375 back in the mid 90's. On second thought, I do miss sailing that boat.

HIn the 34 foot range built in the last few years, the AT, Beneteau, and Mainship must be close to the top for space, but for a live-aboard it would be a shame not to consider good conditioned vessels built after the milenium. The space king for any production or semi-production boat under 38 is the incomparable Great Harbour N or GH series. At 36 it would be the Krogen Manatee, but the latest model was built in '91. I'd have to throw in the Endeavour 36 powercat as the post 2000 living space winner with honorable mention to the Selene 36. The only recent 35 would be the Sea Horse "Coot", and at 34 I'd probably add another powercat option, the PDQ 34, which offers speed, economy and surprising space as well. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.
We went from a Sailboat to a Trawler, no regrets yet.
I also had a Hunter 375 back in the mid 90's. On second thought, I do miss sailing that boat.

Don't we all old (now feeble) sailors feel the same?

Dear All:
My name is Jim and I have been sailing for about 40 years. However, I plan to retire soon (my partner is already retired) and sailing is becoming too strenuous for me, as I have multiple back issues. I plan to switch to a trawler, as I do not have a desire to spend a fortune on fuel and I enjoy the comfort a trawler can provide Most likely between 31' to 34' ( max 36'). I plan to purchase a slightly used boat but may consider a new boat (I like to new 31' Ranger). I plan on using the boat as a retirement home and taking it from New York to Florida during the winter for a month or so (visiting many friends who have purchased homes in Florida). Therefore, I am interested in those boaters who have either Ranger 31' or Nordic tugs 34' for their reasons why you choose the particular boat you now own. And, your positive and negatives about your experiences with your trawler/tug. Thank you for your input. It's a difficult decision giving up my sailboat (38').
In addition, I plan to attend Trawlerfest this September 2017 in Maryland. Has anyone ever attending the seminars? Especially the boat handling seminar.

1. Speed costs. Usually faster will burn more fuel overall. With prices between $2-3 a gallon, not bad but if it shoots back up, speed will be felt at the fuel dock.

2. Even 36 foot trawlers barely have enough storage for a 2 month trip, let alone retirement home (full time for sure). Its the nicknacks, memorabilia and hobby interests that overwhelm the last nooks and crannies. If you have fishing gear, snorkeling gear, etc...takes up a lot of storage room on a boat as you know. Trawlers may have more than sailboats, but not till you get into bigger ones. I live on a 40 footer with someone and wish I had bought the 43 or something near 45....but different designs help as a 42 Kadey Krogen is massive compared to my 40 Albin.

3. NY to FL for a month or two? Not sure what that means..... I live in South Jersey and it was almost a struggle to get to FL and back and have time to enjoy anything in less than 4 months cruising. Even now at 6 months gone, it barely seems more relaxed, but nice to spend some weeks in one or two spots. At 6.3 knots, my trawlers comfy speed, it was 400 driving hours to FT Pierce, FL.....and another 100 to make it to the upper Keys and back.

4. If traveling in late October through April, you will probably want a diesel heating system or 2 gensets for heat redundancy, unless you like camping and good sleeping bags. Also a buss heater for the pilothouse area during travelling times.

5. I would spend the money for a few more feet and upgrades of a used boat than buying new. New boats can have a lot of problems for the first couple years, and if you start snowbirding right away, having those problems in some stretches of the ICW might be OK because of great repair facilities, other stretches, not so good. When on the road it can get expensive if you are stranded in some areas.

Last edited:
5. I would spend the money for a few more feet and upgrades of a used boat than buying new. New boats can have a lot of problems for the first couple years, and if you start snowbirding right away, having those problems in some stretches of the ICW might be OK because of great repair facilities, other stretches, not so good. When on the road it can get expensive if you are stranded in some areas.

Paul is correct when he says that new boats take some time to get sorted out but... the idea that a used boat will somehow have fewer issues than a new boat is up for debate. I believe it depends on the boat in question. I'd bet that I could board any boat of about 40' and find something wrong or not working correctly, new or used. I always have a list of items that need attention and that list begins from the day we take delivery but aside from the "new boat shakedown" my list always grows in length as the boat ages.
Having taken delivery of 2 decent quality new boats in our lives, the shake down was pretty tame. Certainly, our Tug has had far fewer issues than our previous sailboat but all issues on each boat were easy to find and repair.
Maybe our experience is unusual as 2 boats is not exactly statistically significant but even allowing for a period of shaking out of issues, a new boat is still new with systems that have few hours and wear.
The other nice thing about beginning new is that I find it easier to maintain something than it is to restore something. From gelcoat to vinyl, from engines to pumps, a little attention can extend the life of a system or thing. I prefer to keep my stuff in nice shape and by beginning new it is far easier to control the process.
Bruce

I havent had the fortunate experience to buy new since the 70s.

But I have been towing brand new boats quite a bit lately. Just one last night. And some of these boats get towed multiple times.

Thats just engine and drive train related issues.

I agree it is the boat, certainly a little used boat not well maintained is not going to be fun either.

My point was, new is certainly no guarantee that it is cruise ready. Another plus for a used boat is that many cruising type upgrades may have already been made....again in the right boat.

HIn the 34 foot range built in the last few years, the AT, Beneteau, and Mainship must be close to the top for space, but for a live-aboard it would be a shame not to consider good conditioned vessels built after the milenium. The space king for any production or semi-production boat under 38 is the incomparable Great Harbour N or GH series. At 36 it would be the Krogen Manatee, but the latest model was built in '91. I'd have to throw in the Endeavour 36 powercat as the post 2000 living space winner with honorable mention to the Selene 36. The only recent 35 would be the Sea Horse "Coot", and at 34 I'd probably add another powercat option, the PDQ 34, which offers speed, economy and surprising space as well. Good luck in your search.

The Great Harbor 37 offers a huge amount of space for a live aboard and other than air draft, might be a very good option for a boat destined for the Loop. Their are very few of them out West, but I was really interested the GH37.

We've purchased new and had virtually no issues but we very carefully selected builders and we had all surveyed prior to acceptance and a couple of minor things addressed immediately upon survey. Amazing how quickly things get done when they're holding up a final payment. Seems someone gets on it the same day. Also, we've gone through significant shakedown cruises on all new boats before taking off on a long distance cruise. Bruce B did the same. So, my keys for minimizing new boat issues:

1. Select the right builder
2. Survey (or at least sea trial and very careful inspection before acceptance)
3. Shakedown cruise

We put 58 hours on our loop boat before starting the loop. Other shakedowns have been 48 hours and 85 hours.

Also, never accept a boat on the premise of bringing it back at some later date to get the issue fixed.

Don't we all old (now feeble) sailors feel the same?

I'm sure we all do.
I see that you can actually carry some sail and maybe do a little motor sailing.
My trawler has a mast and boom but no sail, ....yet.
My advice to any ex-sailor is to get a trawler with at least a couple of winches and sheets to play with when you get bored.

I'm sure we all do.
I see that you can actually carry some sail and maybe do a little motor sailing.
My advice to any ex-sailor is to get a trawler with at least a couple of winches and sheets to play with when you get bored.

My advice is keep sailing friends and take them occasionally and go with them occasionally, or a sailing dinghy or small sail boat or charter a few times a year.

Now, we're not big sailors. However, with a power boat we can go a lot of places and then occasionally sail in some of the most beautiful areas possible. We've sailed from Fort Lauderdale, Annapolis, Newport, San Francisco, Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, the US Virgin Islands, St. Maarten, Key West, Cape Cod, and Grand Cayman in the last five years. We try to sail two to three times a year but turns out closer to twice. Perhaps we need to go sailing soon.

I'm sure we all do.

I keep a high performance sailing dinghy ready to go on a trailer at home to satisfy the itch. Unfortunately it hasn't seen much use lately as I've been traveling far from home on the power boat during sailing season. Every now and again I plot and scheme on how I could carry my sailboat on the power boat, but I haven't yet come up with a workable solution. Not going to give up the RIB, and really no space for a second small boat.

When we sold our Catalina 30 and bought our Ocean Alexander trawler, we also bought a 25ft Santana sport boat to keep our hand in sailing. We knew that a sailboat big enough to be a comfortable live aboard would be more than we could handle as a couple, however, we didn't want to give up our dream either. Slowly but surely it's taking shape for us, take your time, it will for you too!

Back
Top Bottom