View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #33
Aquabelle
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
OK, I can now close out this project. Stuffing box was cleaned up and new/previously unknown bearing within it was replaced (it is only 3" long so was cut down from a 9" cutlass bearing). Box was re-packed with 3 rounds of 10mm GFO stuffing. Boat was splashed and with the engineers on board, I re-filled water tanks and the shaft coupling was mated to the transmission via a 'rubber' DriveSaver. Snr engineer wasn't wild about doing this work with the DriveSaver in place; said best practice was to remove the DriveSaver and insert a custom-made steel or aluminium 'filler' of same dimension. I wasn't willing to be without the boat for another week while this was done so I told him to do the best he could off the DriveSaver. In the end, he was satisfied with the alignment result he got and he stayed in the engine room while I took Aquabelle out for a gallop over a range of rpm's. He tinkered with the stuffing box while observing the shaft. No vibration, no run-out on dial indicator and no drips, with box remaining cool to the touch. Disembarked the engineering team and then did the 4hr run back to Sydney Harbour @ 1800rpm & 10kts. Stuffing box checked every 30min and remained cool and drip-free throughout. Some photos attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Prop Hub Nut1.jpg   reinstalled stuffing box2.jpg   Running Gear Stb Qtr.jpg   coupling1.jpg  
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote