Ever wonder what your horn sounded like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
Yesterday, while leaving the Cape Cod Canal, a good friend of ours who was camping at Scusset Beach State campground took video of us. He just happened to capture our "toot".
In case you wondered...
Bruce

https://youtu.be/_yF7Xx8aeQw

Last edited:
Can you hear me now?

Howzers!!! No doubt about it with that horn.

-Wonder how your horns compare to my dual (D-model) Kahlenberg air horns from which I receive both compliments and complaints.

-Wonder how your horns compare to my dual (D-model) Kahlenberg air horns from which I receive both compliments and complaints.

That sounds about perfect in my book!
Dorsey claims that it's mostly men who like our horns but I've noticed that she smiles when she's had opportunity to use them...
Our slip neighbor has Kahlenberg horns and they are awesome sounding.
Bruce

Other than for a bridge or lock, how often do you ever use your horn?

One of the guys on our dock has a horn that sounds like the kiddie train horn over at kemah board walk. Every time he toots it the dock just giggles and remarks about missing the train again wafts through. :)

One of the guys on our dock has a horn that sounds like the kiddie train horn over at kemah board walk. Every time he toots it the dock just giggles and remarks about missing the train again wafts through. :)

I made a YouTube of mine as well.

Never on ACIW, but the horn for danger/doubt signal a dozen or so times a year

The Hailer horn for low visibility times (as appropriate).

Probably should use it more when leaving a blind spot, but I try to clear it any way I can so I dont piss off everyone around if a marina, etc....

We have a semi truck horn . I have a small air compressor that gets us two good blows and then compressor has to build back up . I just blow it every once in while .
Saturday we were coming back into the slip and the wind was 15 to 20 out of NE . When it's like this I shoot for the slip next me and wind up perfectly for our slip ( we have a single with no bow thruster ) . I'm moving along good then I notice there is a bass boat fishing in my slip:banghead:. I use all the air that I have and finally the guy see what's going on and backs out . I missed that approach.
I let him know the slip is $300 a month .

I'm moving along good then I notice there is a bass boat fishing in my slip:banghead:.

Ahh, Paris Landing. I woke up early, early one morning to a banging noise, opened the hatch, and saw a guy standing on his bass tracker peeing in my slip while his boat bumped against my hull. I miss a lot of things about that marina, but definitely not the bass tournaments.

Never for a bridge or lock since we have radios for that.

We use a horn when operating in fog (Fogmate add-on) and approaching a blind turn.

I compete with the USCG for the use of our fairway and we each use the same system of alerts. So far, so good...keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't hit them yet.

I found Simi's mention of using it when backing out of the slip interesting. Do others in Australia do that? It's like large trucks do automatically, although a different sound.

It was in Guntersville that we experienced the bass fisherman comfortably sitting behind our boat at 7:00 AM. Someone did advise him that we were getting ready to leave and that probably wasn't where he wanted to be when we did.

I haven't used my horn when leaving my slip, but there are times when it would be useful. Lots of of little SUPs and kayak renters that don't really know where to go. Leaving my slip is one time when I have poor visibility astern and depending on current, wind, and tide I am restricted in my ability to maneuver. I really don't want to back over a kayaker.

However, there are always dock neighbors around who I am sure would be annoyed with blasts from my horn every time I left.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom