Plan B for a dinghy motor failure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great info. Thanks.

I assume these 2 strokes have been updated somewhat since mine was built? Don't they have a better ignition system now for easier starts?

I'm leaning towards the lighter two stroke. Parts are available for these newer two strokes in the states?

I keep an anchor and rode in my RIB at all times and make sure I have a charged handheld VHF if I'm going any distance. Where I operate I figure that will keep me safe and facilitate rescue if needed. Also cell phone with charts loaded. Have complete confidence in my Yamaha 2 stroke motor.

I forgot to mention I've also added a good flashlight to the dinghy kit recently. I was out at dusk recently and ended up stuck in a massive patch of weeds in the middle of the bay. Was kicking myself for not having a good light as I tried to find my way out of it and was concerned about other traffic as I made my way back in the dark without running lights.

I will be the first to admit some manufactures have done better with certain hp ranges than their whole line.

When Ethanol first came out, Yammies choked...they were the worst.

Backing me up was my good friend from Charleston who just brought a new to him deck boat with a 1999 Yammie 150hp. He brought it to Jersey and left it at his girlfriends. In a month, the fuel in the carbs and under cowl filters went bad. Same exact problem with those engines up here in the first few years of ethanol, and first time his engine was left sitting with ethanol in it.

Fortunately newer motors and the learning curve on ethanol around here has been worked out and yammies still rule. But as I said before, just passing along info...my not my own personal use of Suzukis.

Well, I mentioned it in passing, mostly because it was part of the impetus to change to the 4-stroke EFI engine... but I don't actually think it was the 2-stroke motor's fault... or at least not all it's fault.

I remember when growing up that our 2-stroke outboards always worked, every time, and no matter how old the gas was. But then we ran those boats several times per day, every day.

Now, we don't use the dinghy often enough to cycle through gas, and the ethanol blend we're (pretty much) forced to use doesn't survive that very well. None of the stabilizing products I tried did squat. But once I got into the habit of recycling dinghy gas into a car -- as early as the 3 week mark -- the motor always worked better.

-Chris

Now, we don't use the dinghy often enough to cycle through gas, and the ethanol blend we're (pretty much) forced to use doesn't survive that very well. None of the stabilizing products I tried did squat. But once I got into the habit of recycling dinghy gas into a car -- as early as the 3 week mark -- the motor always worked better.

-Chris

We have a pontoon boat here at home with an outboard motor. Ethanol free gas is not allowed to be sold in our county. At first I used your method of draining the gas every three weeks. Now fortunately I find that the neighboring county is not under this federal restriction and I buy ethanol free gas there.

There are web sites which can locate the nearest ethanol free station near you.

I go places where the hand help won't reach anyone or I don't have cell phone service. Always travel with a PLB or an EPIRB, so ultimate rescue isn't the issue. Let's call them plan C. Still trying to figure out a self rescue plan B.

Ted

I'm a big fan of self-rescue. I find comfort in having reliable ground tackle on whatever boat I'm in. In coastal waters that usually buys you time to make repairs, figure out a solution or wait for conditions to change. Combined with a good emergency kit the ability to anchor takes the immediate pressure off. In extreme cases you could hunker down and wait for a change in wind/current to drift towards a safe shore or more populated area where others can help.

One more thought. If you're concerned enough to contemplate changing boats or adding a backup motor you could also construct a basic backup sailing rig. Rudder, leeboard and short lateen sail. I know it sounds silly, but with a bit of tinkering you could have something that would get you home under most conditions and that could live in a bag in the dinghy. Good winter project to assemble the components.

One more thought. If you're concerned enough to contemplate changing boats or adding a backup motor you could also construct a basic backup sailing rig. Rudder, leeboard and short lateen sail. I know it sounds silly, but with a bit of tinkering you could have something that would get you home under most conditions and that could live in a bag in the dinghy. Good winter project to assemble the components.

See http://www.boatstogo.com/images/Acc...Sail-Kit-Assembly/DIY-Sail-Kit-For-Dinghy.jpg

There are web sites which can locate the nearest ethanol free station near you.

Yeah, but not necessarily accurate sites. One site had a place that was listed, semi-nearby (only 20 miles away or so), which had been converted from a gas station into a restaurant or some such.... approx 4-5 years before the listing was posted. And that was the only listed place within about 100 miles.

Bottom line, there aren't any close by here. Some out on the coast that I've heard of, not useful. Or probably some in the next State south, not useful. Or there's airplane gas, not great. Or there's ethanol-free small engine gas at the big box stores... for $$$/pint, not useful.

It was easier to buy a new engine.

:)

Actually, I jest a little. Our new dinghy needed a larger engine anyway, so I was solving a couple issues at the same time.

-Chris

Probably the easiest suggestion if you are convinced you need a back up is to mount on the same transom a 3.5 hp outboard and keep it in the out of water position until you need it. This way it would be available by sliding the main motor to one side and then the backup to the center. Since it could be locked to the transom you would reduce the likelihood of theft.

What's in your bag?

I carry an emergency bag on my tender (15ft whaler, cant row that)
After reading the thread I'm curious what other people have.
Flashlight
Hand held vhf
Bug wipes
Bottle water
Gps
Knife
Lighter

I have not gone through it for a while and realize now is the time!

What do some of you have in yours, i know I'm missing some things

I have a seat cushion with under seat storage that holds all my junque.

It carries:

Dink air foot pump and hose
2 PFDs
LED Nav light
Sunscreen
GPS
VHF handheld
Small multi-tool
Flashlight (if dark)
Dry bag for phones
Folding anchor
Cupholder

If I'm thirsty, I have a small cooler that clips onto the lifeline. It holds 2-3 beers and an ice pack or a bottle of wine.

I know others that simply row their dinghy and keep the motor on it "just in case."

I suspect they aren't going to row that 5 mile trip though but could if they had to. They also aren't rowing an inflatable.

I used to row mine two miles at my home every other morning. That was my fun limit. I could do 5 but, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Out of sympathy for this thread, my mercury 3.5 elected not to start all day today....

I carry an emergency bag on my tender (15ft whaler, cant row that)
After reading the thread I'm curious what other people have.
Flashlight
Hand held vhf
Bug wipes
Bottle water
Gps
Knife
Lighter

I have not gone through it for a while and realize now is the time!

What do some of you have in yours, i know I'm missing some things

It carries:

2 PFDs
LED Nav light
Sunscreen
GPS
VHF handheld
Small multi-tool
Flashlight (if dark)
Dry bag for phones
Folding anchor
Cupholder

If I'm thirsty, I have a small cooler that clips onto the lifeline. It holds 2-3 beers and an ice pack or a bottle of wine.

Holy mack'ral..! (as my father used to say) The only thing that goes in our dink is what we take with us, but we only use it strictly ship to shore and back. Now I feel really unprepared...nah...not really... :D

If the mother ship had an internet connection, and a reliable person on board, then a Spot would work as part of plan A. Done it, works great- the reliable part is key.
Or just leave a detailed trip plan with that person, with a drop dead return time.
How far do you go that a HT wouldn't reach the mother ship? I'd also look at a better radio and antenna. Put a mobile VHF on the dink with 50 watts and a longer antenna.

It carries:

2 PFDs
LED Nav light
Sunscreen
GPS
VHF handheld
Small multi-tool
Flashlight (if dark)
Dry bag for phones
Folding anchor
Cupholder

spare dinghy key
spare pad lock for dinghy chain
fuel hose connector to outboard
double barb hose connector to repair fuel hose
appropriate hose clamps for fuel hose

I have had to replace the fuel hose to outboard connector twice in 18 years, once on the water. I have given away the double barb hose connector to other boaters in need several times. Most frequently I have personally used the spare padlock and have lent it out numerous times to friends who have forgotten their padlock (or the keys) on the mothership.

Out of sympathy for this thread, my mercury 3.5 elected not to start all day today....

Our Mercury 2.5 never failed to crank and run, but some days it would run so badly it would keep you from relaxing and enjoying the ride. I think half the time we ran it, it was on half choke! :D

I had a Merc 3.3. It started the first time every time---except when it didn't which was most of the time.

By reading all this, I've learned a few things and formed some opinions. While I posted earlier the value of having a VHF phone and a cell phone with you and having a tow membership, Obviously, if anyone on the main boat that can help, it allows you to reach them as well. I add the following two things.

First, keeping an electric motor with one seems like a good idea. We don't do it but it makes sense.

Here's my addition though. Invest in a good motor and maintain it, the hoses, the entire system at a level of excellence. If you're using it to explore like we do, like the OP does then thinking of it as a dinghy tends to diminish it's purpose and value. It's not something just to go short distances to shore and back, never out of sight. We might travel 50 or even 100 miles away. Others maybe 20 miles. It doesn't matter, as with either distance you're now on a boat, not a dinghy, a boat that must be just as reliable as your main boat. You must treat it as a second boat. Quality dependable motor, good maintenance, spares. The motor that might be adequate if you're using it only to shuttle to and from shore or marina might not be if you're using it as another boat.

My dinghy engine quit yesterday with my college age son in it solo, about 200 yards from the boat. After reading this thread I made sure he took the VHF when he left to go explore to cove behind Manjack. He tried to row back but the wind was blowing 15 against him so that was impossible. It's a 10' RIB.

He was able to toss out the big danforth copy I keep in the dinghy and wait while I hailed a fishing boat to pull him back. He had just come from a secluded area and if it would have quit back there it would have been worse, but with the VHF we could at least stay in contact.

This all happened because I decided not to buy the 2 stroke in Marsh I was considering. Figured the old Johnson would last the trip until I got home. It's probably another carb issue, but I'm just done with this old engine now.

My dinghy hasn't started since this thread began! Off to the service guys tomorrow lol

My dinghy engine quit yesterday with my college age son in it solo, about 200 yards from the boat. After reading this thread I made sure he took the VHF when he left to go explore to cove behind Manjack. He tried to row back but the wind was blowing 15 against him so that was impossible. It's a 10' RIB.

He was able to toss out the big danforth copy I keep in the dinghy and wait while I hailed a fishing boat to pull him back. He had just come from a secluded area and if it would have quit back there it would have been worse, but with the VHF we could at least stay in contact.

This all happened because I decided not to buy the 2 stroke in Marsh I was considering. Figured the old Johnson would last the trip until I got home. It's probably another carb issue, but I'm just done with this old engine now.

You just wanted to give us a case to study.

I've found often that people who are meticulous about maintaining the engine or engines in their boat do a lousy job of the same on their dinghy. An engine is an engine. It can strand you just as easily.

My favorite dinghy engine finally got fixed.

It's the sweetest little 33lb dinghy engine ever. 4hp Johnsonrude "lighttwin". The two stroke twin part is the important thing. Four times as many power strokes as a 4 stroke single. That's for me .. light, smooth and quiet. At least quiet at 2/3rds throttle or less. My big dinghy is FD so that's all I'll need.

I've decided to just get a 4 stroke in the states. Want to try that Suzuki 9.9 EFI to do away with the carb/bad gas issues. That engine is like 106 lbs however, so I will have to invest in one of those little dinghy engine hoists to put the engine on and off. We pulled the dink all around the Bahamas so only have to do that drill a few times I realized.

I really want an engine that EVERYONE on the boat can start. The lack of a reliable dinghy engine affected this trip. I was the only one who could semi-predictably start the stupid thing, so nobody else wanted to use it to go explore, ride around, etc.

The badly tuned 15hp 2 stroke I am replacing would plane with two but not four. I'm hoping the 9.9 foot stroke will do at least that? Don't the four stokes have more umph from a dead start to plane? Will my wife be able to pull start a 15hp? The EFI is supposed to make it easier.

Edit. Just realized there is an EFI Suzuki 15hp- DF15a, that weighs 97 lbs, the same as the 9.9. I think I would rather have the 15, even though that's prob overkill for my little 10' RIB.

http://www.boats.com/reviews/long-term-outboard-engine-test-suzuki-df15a/#.WYRLzYUpCEc

Last edited:
I've decided to just get a 4 stroke in the states. Want to try that Suzuki 9.9 EFI to do away with the carb/bad gas issues. That engine is like 106 lbs however, so I will have to invest in one of those little dinghy engine hoists to put the engine on and off. We pulled the dink all around the Bahamas so only have to do that drill a few times I realized.

I really want an engine that EVERYONE on the boat can start. The lack of a reliable dinghy engine affected this trip. I was the only one who could semi-predictably start the stupid thing, so nobody else wanted to use it to go explore, ride around, etc.

The badly tuned 15hp 2 stroke I am replacing would plane with two but not four. I'm hoping the 9.9 foot stroke will do at least that? Don't the four stokes have more umph from a dead start to plane?

The 9.9 hp 4 stroke will be a pig . Although I love 4 strokes they have no where near the oommmpppphhh of a 2 stroke same hp. A 15 4stroke has less get upand go than a 2 stroke 15hp 2 stroke

Suggestion. If you are buying a pull start make sure that everyone can start the four stroke. Some models are much harder to pull start than the equivalent two strokes.

My 4 stroke Yammie 8 pull start is tough. If not strong or hurt, not sure anyone could start it. So next engine will be an electric start just for safety in my book.

The 9.9 4 stroke may get a fulk boat on pkane, but you are going to be near WOT the whole time I suspect as my engine gets 2 on plane easily enough, but not 4, close but not quite

Hmmmm. Shouldn't the addition of EFI make it easier to start? Or is it the actual strength needed to pull the cord the hard part?

I can't imagine having to carry around a spare battery for the dink as well, but for everyone to be able to start it (my wife especially) maybe that's what I need. The elec start Suzuki is 9lbs heavier.

Best to test, but I think the pull is hard because of the 4 stroke design.

Think lawnmower, but instead of 3 to 5 hp, it is 9.9 or 15 hp. It isnt 2x as hard to pull but significantly harder, especially in the awkward position in a dingy.

Back
Top Bottom