The "It Never Rains But it Pours" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oil-less means no oil in the air you breath!!
I assembled my own system for under $200 including compressor.

Would love the details Chris, was about to pull the trigger on one of the assembled units, which are a bit more expensive here in Oz.

Barnacles! Boatword boatword barnacles. All scraped clean, shaft, wheel, transducers. No problem getting WOT now, enroute Desolation, in fact will be rounding Grief Point in 20 minutes.

I am completely gobsmacked that a bunch of those little bastards could have such an effect on my wheel. Zinc paint is totally useless on props, Trilux 2 is no better than house paint on the hull. I guess I'll have to buy a full wetsuit.

Thank you for your support and your input, I learned something today.

Well done, XS!
Those barnacles can be nasty.

You can forget about trading the boat in on a Harley now, and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Sorry, I left the Hookah with the boat when I sold it. No longer have all the parts identified. Basically you need a dive regulator, mouth piece, compressor, and 50ft of air line, plus a small oil-less compressor with a reasonable size air tank (3 gallons). My compressor/tank combo cost about $80. An alternate is to use a regular dive set-up with the compressed air tank (left on deck) with a long air hose.

Perhaps I was not clear enough.
You basically have 2 options:
1. Use a regular compressed air tank (for scuba) leave it on deck and use an air line.
2. Use a compressor with a (3 gallon) tank - so that you are not sucking air direct from compressor - you need a buffer reserve to avoid gasping for air!!!
So 2 tanks!! Different options. You must have a tank - take your pick.

The "It Never Rains But it Pours" thread

XSBank: when did you last put the boat up on the hard? Barnacle time is March thru end of May in BC.

Perhaps I was not clear enough.
You basically have 2 options:
1. Use a regular compressed air tank (for scuba) leave it on deck and use an air line.
2. Use a compressor with a (3 gallon) tank - so that you are not sucking air direct from compressor - you need a buffer reserve to avoid gasping for air!!!
So 2 tanks!! Different options. You must have a tank - take your pick.

Tank is mandatory is not what the hookah websites say.
Most say pump alone is fine, some say a tank MAY be required if a heavy breather or using long lines and sell them as an optional extra.

http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/the-hows/electric-powered/12vlimit.aspx

Last edited:
While I agree there are several non-tank versions for sale, it would be interesting to hear from somebody with real underwater experience of these straight-through type units.
The more expensive versions do include tanks. The tank acts as a buffer and enables the diver to intermittently consume more air than the pump puts out as necessary while working under water.
I assembled my own hookah including a pancake compressor with built-in 3 gallon reservoir, but this was to a design specified by an experienced professional diver, and I am PADI qualified.
What I do know for a fact is that working on your prop. etc becomes an easy maintenance task once you can breath relatively normally under water.
In our marina, it was necessary to clean the underwater gear every few weeks during the Summer, though I tried to always do it while in a pleasant anchorage rather than the marina. Also, even in the Bahamas it was worthwhile to have the hookah for cleaning and changing zincs.

Back
Top Bottom