Please allow me to introduce myself...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simple Life

Vessel Name
Simple Life
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3888
Hi. I'm Ken in Key Largo where I live on my 91 Bayliner 3888.

Bought the boat and moved aboard in 2014. Paid too much. Then kept on paying for the next 3 years as I replaced everything that wears out with age and neglect. Earl the Bayliner Guru helped me. Simple Life hailing from Key Largo should have been named $imple Life.

Ready to go somewhere, but where?? Hard to imagine leaving the turquoise and emerald waters of Key Largo and the Florida Keys. Tunnel props are great here. Getting about 1 mile per gallon of diesel and that's not going very fast. Where's it worth going from here?

Maybe just take a slow cruise, couple months, up to JAX and back. And/or maybe head down to KW, over to Dry Tortugas, and back home. And/or cruise the west coast of FL. Won't necessarily be any better, but you might enjoy the change of pace from time to time. Use what you learn to decide what's next.

-Chris

Welcome and without sounding trite, but North, South, East , or West all have possibilities. Just depends on your likes.

Now, about that spot you are leaving me for when I get down there in January....:D

Welcome Aboard!
Head over to the Everglades. Spend a couple of days on the hook in Shark River exploring and fishing in your dinghy.

Take the opportunity to read Totch, a Life in the Everglades and The Killing of Mr. Watson.

Next head to Chokoloskee and Everglades City to see where Totch lived, Mr. Watson was killed and eat Stone Crabs.

Where to go

Thanks for the many suggestions and warm welcome.

I'm at Key Largo Harbor Marina. It's a full service working boatyard and Marina that allows live aboard. Rent is $700 / month and includes electric, water, weekly pump out, gated, security, shower room, bathrooms, night security, and wi-fi sometimes. Nice neighbors. I'm the mayor.

Surrounded by multi-million dollar homes at mile marker 100, the Marina is right in the heart of Key Largo. Straight shot to the Atlantic with no bridges. It's about 3 nm to Molasses reef. Depth at the jetty at lowest tide is about 6' while the canal to Key Largo Harbor is at least 100' wide and 20' deep. There's a blind 90 degree turn called crash corner. Announce arrival and departure on vhf 16 as there is lots of commercial traffic during the daytime.

Sharkey's Pub and the Galley restaurant are across the canal. Skippers Dockside is at the end along with Marina Del Mar resort, Holiday Inn, and Marriott Courtyard - all with transient dockage. There's diesel at Ocean Divers next to Sharkey's as well as the Pilot House on Lake Largo which is the next canal to the South.

Publix grocery is 2 miles away, along with other retail. Post Office 1 mile as well as Starbucks, and just about everything one might need. Worst Marine is about 4 miles from my dock. Boats that can clear a 15' bridge can transit to the Gulf side through Adam's cut. Taller rigs like mine can go north 30 miles to Angelfish creek or south to either the Tavernier Creek drawbridge or a little farther to the Channel 5 fixed height bridge. I think vertical clearance is over 60' at Channel 5.

There's free anchorage behind the Government center on the Gulf side with free parking and dinghy dock at the cop shop.

I like Key Largo for the nice people and convenient services. I'll tell you who to avoid if you ask.

Sounds like a great place on own a boat .
Oh yeah , I like your thread title , but now can't get this song outta my head .:facepalm:

Another hard to forget song

My son and me on Simple Life at Molasses reef before I got my "make me look young again hairdo".

Last edited:
The boat looks beautiful! I am refitting a 1989 Bayliner 38-8 to live aboard. The good news is I got it cheap! The bad news is "I got it cheap". It needs a new interior and a lot of cosmetic stuff outside. The hull is good. Has twin naturally aspirated Hino diesels. Any advice is welcome!

Welcome aboard. I really like the lines on the 3888.

Welcome aboard almost neighbor! I've been a member of the Upper Keys Sailing Club just across the Highway since 85

Here's to you, from Buttonwood Sound, mm100 Bayside at Point Pleasant:

Attachments

• sunset toast.jpg
    sunset toast.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 21
Folks, he joined in 2017.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom