View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Old Boats and Teak Decks

TDS is Teak Decking Systems, a deck company located in Florida. They make new teak decks to order for yachts and stuff, and at some point they introduced their own brand of seam sealant. Their deck seam sealant, which I know as just "TDS" although it does have a product number, is a one-part sealant that, from experience and everything I've heard, is far superior to all the other sealants out there including the old Thiokol, LifeCaulk (which is rubbish for deck seams and just about everything else in my experience), etc. When I first heard of it and started using it you had to order it from TDS in Florida. But for some years now Fisheries Supply in Seattle has been carrying it, and since when I need it I just drive over and get it I haven't bothered to find out what other retailers might carry it. But I imagine there are others that do. TDS sealant has been used by Grand Banks in their new construction for some years now. Of course they also glue their teak decks down instead of screwing them down so that's a big improvement too.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote