Helmsman 31 with John Deere 125hp arrived

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durant F

Guru
Vessel Name
Emma B
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
Being a sailor, I hoped for a low rpm 7 knot cruise and felt the John Deere suited this application much better.
The boat arrived last week and after sea trials, determined the prop required re-pitching. Final testing should be this Thursday or Friday.
This is the first Helmsman 31 (Camano) with the John Deere 4045 installed. It is a big 4 cylinder at 4.5 litres and a very high torque engine. Max RPM is only 2500 and I'm hoping for a lumbering cruise RPM of around 1500.
After prop change and final testing I will post a speed-RPM-Fuel Burn chart.
I want to mention that not only am I extremely happy with the quality and features of the the boat, but am totally impressed dealing with Scott and Lisa at Waterline. They have worked with me to get the features I wanted and in every instance the "spirit of co-operation" has prevailed. In an industry that at times seems more $$ than service oriented, it has been refreshing dealing with Scott.
Both he and Lisa are live aboards....They "get it"
I'll keep this thread updated as sea trials are finalized and cruising begins.
Currently in Seattle.
The Broughtons are calling.....

Welcome and congratulations on the new boat.

The sea trial indicated that the prop needed re-pitching. Did the engine fail to reach the 2500 max RPM?

Assuming the boat was trialed fresh from the yard, you might want to consider loading it with full fuel and water before retesting it. An empty, light boat with a fresh bottom is not the same as loaded up boat with a less-than-pristine bottom.

Photo of "Emma B"

Attachments

• IMG_1734.JPG
    IMG_1734.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 132
Welcome to the forum! You will like the JD 4045. I installed the same engine in my 45' Cherubini and have been extremely pleased with it

Ted

dhays;576218[B said:
]"...........The sea trial indicated that the prop needed re-pitching. Did the engine fail to reach the 2500 max RPM? "[/B]

Assuming the boat was trialed fresh from the yard, you might want to consider loading it with full fuel and water before retesting it. An empty, light boat with a fresh bottom is not the same as loaded up boat with a less-than-pristine bottom.

I'm more than a but surprised that the manufacturer/dealer delivered a boat with an improper propeller installed. I would have though that they would have determined the correct prop and installed it before delivering it.

That said, once you get the bugs ironed out, I'm sure you will love that boat. It's a good size for a cruising couple.

I'm more than a but surprised that the manufacturer/dealer delivered a boat with an improper propeller installed. I would have though that they would have determined the correct prop and installed it before delivering it.

I think it may be related to what the OP mentioned in his initial post
"This is the first Helmsman 31 (Camano) with the John Deere 4045 installed.".

Guys guys guys....

1-yes this engine is custom at my request

2-yes it is not only the first JD in a Camano....it is the first really low rpm engine ever in one.

3-yes, they used computer to "size the prop"
No...computers don't alway work
Yes the sea trial showed it needed re-pitched
Yes, it would have been done BEFORE I got here had I not wanted to be along

They could have done the testing before delivery just like (I assume) they did with the Hyundai engine.

Ah, good point.

I see that the OP wanted to be along for that sea trial hence why the re-pitching wasn't done before he got to the boat.

Ah, good point.

I see that the OP wanted to be along for that sea trial hence why the re-pitching wasn't done before he got to the boat.

I would have thought they would have selected and installed the proper prop before the boat even left China.

Very pretty boat. Thanks for sharing your experience dialing it in, and please keep us posted.

Where will you berth her?

You mentioned the Broughtons - is that going to happen this summer/fall?

Best Wishes

Jeff

WesK
The engine was spec'd by myself and sent over from the USA distributor here to China. It was not purchased from a Chinese distributor.
I wanted to be there the first time the engine was started, by a USA mechanic, and I was.
I also wanted to be aboard for the first sea trial...along with a USA mechanic... and I was.
You seem to have a problem with that...
It was my request.
My engine spec, my boat and Scott was co-operative enough to allow me to be part of the process.
I am thankful for it!

Last edited:
Jeff
I will be stored "on the hard" in Pender Harbour BC.
From this Weds until November it will be cruised through the San Juans, Gulf Ialands, across the Straight of Georgia to Gibsons, up the Sunshine Coast, through Desolation Sound, the Discovery Islands, the Broughtons and the lower end of Queen Charlotte Sound before returning to Pender to haul out.
It will not have a "berth" as such, but be 'on the move' while in the water.
The PNW is simply beautiful!!
I got invited along on a friends boat 10yrs ago and fell in love with the coast!
After an engine report with speed/RPM/fuel burn etc here, I'll start a new thread with pics of the cruise.

Jeff
I will be stored "on the hard" in Pender Harbour BC.
From this Weds until November it will be cruised through the San Juans, Gulf Ialands, across the Straight of Georgia to Gibsons, up the Sunshine Coast, through Desolation Sound, the Discovery Islands, the Broughtons and the lower end of Queen Charlotte Sound before returning to Pender to haul out.
It will not have a "berth" as such, but be 'on the move' while in the water.
The PNW is simply beautiful!!
I got invited along on a friends boat 10yrs ago and fell in love with the coast!
After an engine report with speed/RPM/fuel burn etc here, I'll start a new thread with pics of the cruise.

Keep us informed how it goes. I'll be heading North to the Desolation Sound area the middle of August.

WesK
The engine was spec'd by myself and sent over from the USA distributor here to China. It was not purchased from a Chinese distributor.
I wanted to be there the first time the engine was started, by a USA mechanic, and I was.
I also wanted to be aboard for the first sea trial...along with a USA mechanic... and I was.
You seem to have a problem with that...
It was my request.
My engine spec, my boat and Scott was co-operative enough to allow me to be part of the process.
I am thankful for it!

I don't have a problem with that, my only problem is with the fact that you did not make this clear in the first place. If you had furnished this information in the beginning, I would not have questioned why the manufacturer did things the way they did.

I am unable to read your mind. If something is important, you have to state it at the beginning.

I started this thread for 3 reasons.
1-to share why I went with a John Deere
2-to report on the rpm/speed/fuel burn of a lower horse power, lower rpm engine in a Camano
3-to share what a treat it has been dealing with Scott and Lisa

Hope to be underway Weds afternoon and will keep those interested posted on my findings. Have a great day everyone.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new boat. One can't go wrong with a Deere.

I started this thread for 3 reasons.
1-to share why I went with a John Deere
2-to report on the rpm/speed/fuel burn of a lower horse power, lower rpm engine in a Camano
3-to share what a treat it has been dealing with Scott and Lisa

Hope to be underway Weds afternoon and will keep those interested posted on my findings. Have a great day everyone.

I'm excited to hear how it goes. I think you are really going to enjoy the boat.

That is one handsome boat!!! Congrats!!!

Congrats cap, Very nice boat. Good luck with it. Don't mind some of the grumbling! We don't bite but we do nibble.

Thanks lads.
I think the boat will suit our needs just fine and I'm sure the John Deere will be a great low speed engine. Will be interesting to see rpm/speed/fuel burn.
I'm hoping for a bit over a gallon per hour at 7 knots. May be too optimistic but I'd be tickled if it does.

Sailor of Fortune...

That sure don't look like Saint Augustine Florida?
Been through there by boat
Picture from Bay of Fundy area?

Greetings,
Mr. DF. "That sure don't look like Saint Augustine Florida." and The Broughtons are nowhere near Pembroke (I've been through there by boat)...Just sayin'

His picture is a great shot!!
Love the Cape Boat style!!

Congrats! I love the new 31 Helmsman. I just bought a Camano Troll recently and will be splashing her soon.

That's so neat about your John Deere setup and fuel burn. Wow!

They are great handling boats!
Been destination bound since the prop change...
Will do a proper fuel/speed/rpm thing once settled and in calm, slack waters.
Enjoy your troll!! Super lil cruiser!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom