KK42 Restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rnummi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bare Necessities/Daydream/In-Motion
Vessel Make
Albin 27FC/Kadey-Krogen 42/Navigtor Classic 53
I'm bringing KK42 1982 Hull #28 back from the dead in St. Pete FL. Need anything you have on your various projects... right now replacing wood covered refrigerator freezer hole. Understand subzero 249FF and RP were OEM. Anyone have a pair for sale? Alternatively what did you replace them with? I've also seen pics of the wooden door restaurant style latching ones? Any guidance would be appreciated....

Next on the list:
1. installing pantograph wipers
2. Removing HD behr white latex paint over every piece of exterior teak.
3. Sanding interior teak decks and bulkheads
4. Mattress replacement (anyone have measurements for non-island master).
5. Installation of initial unit A/C (Dometic ECD16k)..

Rnummi at mac dot com

The "wooden door restaurant style latching ones" were original in mine. Just two insulated fiberglass boxes from the factory All the refrigeration was added after the fact. I kept them, and repaired/replaced components. You get more interior volume that way.

Depending on the thoroughness and timeline of your restoration, I'd leave the exterior teak alone until towards the end.

Well.... i tend to understand the "do the outside last" sentiment... but then everyone will think i have an ugly boat.... im being facetious of course. How hard can it be to use a heat gun on the rails...

on a more frustrating note: I was supposed to go pick her up tomorrow morning.... north winds in Charlotte Harbor means Punta Gorda Marina runs dry... %$#&%#@%$@(!!!!!

God is torturing me.

Best of luck w/her when you do go to bring her home.

About — STOUT

not sure if you've seen this boat or not.
might be able to pick up a few ideas for your boat

Stout is an awesome boat. You can see the TLC in every picture. The best experience was going to TrawlerFest in Stuart last month and seeing what people had done with their own KKs.

I finally got the 42 up to St. Pete from Punta Gorda. What a trip! Old diesel fuel, polishing after tow in, setting out, passing under Skyway Bridge with fuel issues nagging the whole way. In any event, nothing like learning yourboat on the fly....

I'm bringing KK42 1982 Hull #28 back from the dead in St. Pete FL. Need anything you have on your various projects... right now replacing wood covered refrigerator freezer hole. Understand subzero 249FF and RP were OEM. Anyone have a pair for sale? Alternatively what did you replace them with? I've also seen pics of the wooden door restaurant style latching ones? Any guidance would be appreciated....

Next on the list:

1. installing pantograph wipers

2. Removing HD behr white latex paint over every piece of exterior teak.

3. Sanding interior teak decks and bulkheads

4. Mattress replacement (anyone have measurements for non-island master).

5. Installation of initial unit A/C (Dometic ECD16k)..

Rnummi at mac dot com

Mine is hull #5. Owned it for 20 years because we can't find anything we like better.. It was in sad shape when we got it. I have the drawings for the early hulls and done probably any project that you face. Contact me at pirare@krogen42.com if I can answer any questions.
Tom Collier

How's it going?

How is the restoration coming? Are you still in St. Pete?

How is the restoration coming? Are you still in St. Pete?

The boat is now in S. St. Pete at MarineMax Pasadena.... slowly but surely plugging along. 80% done w teak stripping.. just too damn hot to work on boat.

The boat is now in S. St. Pete at MarineMax Pasadena.... slowly but surely plugging along. 80% done w teak stripping.. just too damn hot to work on boat.

Any chance I can come out and take a look one evening this week . Really interested I what I will be getting into when I meme my purchase.

Anytime

Feel free... it's kind of a work-site but you are welcome to come check it out.

I'm there most of the day but can stay later.. see you then.

Arrggg, sorry can we do it Wed? Forgot i have a special detail tomorrow until 7.

rnummi -

My wife and I are the current caretakers of Stout. If you need any additional pictures taken other than what Jay Becker took for her website, let me know.

Dave Geer

Thanks all! I’m up to my .... in this KK42. Just finishing up the complete Re wiring (20k) of Daydream. All new house, all new starter bank etc. interestingly enough Charlie Johnson (the Best KK42 electrician in Fla) observed that all, yes all the original heavy wiring used welding cable as opposed to legit Marine cable. Just an FYI.

PS all exterior teak now back to au naturale. Whew, that was a job.

By the way... anyone wanting to acquire this puppy before I finish the restore is welcome to come have a look.... I’m still in love, just not married yet.... all wiring complete, new xantrex 3012, new xantrex auto gen start, new blue sea main panel... I’m not posting her for sale...but as they say on zillow “make me move”. Probably about 100k at this point..next on my install: A/C and Nav updates....Will be all Garmin.

Since your exterior teak is back to natural, if you are still considering painting it white, may I make a suggestion? I did this to mine and used 7 coats of Pettit e-z proxy. Its beautiful and going on a year and a half. I suspect I’ll give it a light sand in April and apply another coat to freshen her up. Personally I would not use behr latex. It is not a marine paint.

Thanks all! I’m up to my .... in this KK42. Just finishing up the complete Re wiring (20k) of Daydream. All new house, all new starter bank etc. interestingly enough Charlie Johnson (the Best KK42 electrician in Fla) observed that all, yes all the original heavy wiring used welding cable as opposed to legit Marine cable. Just an FYI.

WRT the welding cables: was this just for the battery banks or for elsewhere on the boat? FWIW, all of my battery bank cabling is now 2/0.

Jim

Hobo, 1987, had welding cables for the windlass. The windlass was not factory installed although they may have run the cables. Back then, I think, it was an acceptable practice. Calder even talked about using welding cables in his first book. It doesn’t make it right today but I wouldn’t be surprised given your year if you had them.

If I remember from classes, the issue with welding cable is the jacket rating. Not good for oil or UV light, otherwise besides not being tinned it was a decent application with all the thin strands, at least back before there were recommended standards for such things. I pulled out all of mine though, FYI.

All the 2/0 cable throughout boat... imagine if you will an un air conditioned vessel, sitting in the tropics for 20 years... you really get to see what actually happens to untinned wiring. A nice shade of green indeed. Lots of internal corrosion. Recall that Daydream has a mere 1300 hours on her main engine so we are not talking about heavy use. I was skeptical about resistance until I was shown an equal run of tinned 0/2. 25% or more in the untinned. I’m now a believer. Literally all the battery cables, all the main lines from gen(s)... all the pilothouse feeds... the main engine room panel... in short... definitively in 1982 ALL the wiring is untinned. It’s now up to snuff. This entire project started with a wierd smell while watching TV one night... if you don’t know what shorting wires smell like... you get really jumpy and start slinging all your switches to off position. Next morning I slap down the ole main panel and discover a breaker burnt and swollen to half again it’s size (engine room light circuit). So I disconnect and pull it to only discover that it’s impossible to get a similar 1982 circuit breaker from ANY source... I mean Marine salvage: nope, eBay: nope, trawler forum: nope, internet: nope. I’m still thinking this is an easy fix with a replacement breaker modded to my main panel. I now start flipping switches back to on.. holding my breath... I flip the battery charger breaker to on and the whole boat loses power. I’m scratching my head when I notice Everyone in the marina coming out of their boats... turns out I blew the entire dock. I hastily beat a retreat to switch off the offending breaker... they recycle the marina breaker, I have everything powered on except the batt charger breaker. I call the marina electrical guy... he comes to boat scratches head and announces “you got a bad charger”. He disconnects the charger, flips the breaker and poof the dock blows again. Further head scratching ensues... he basically says “I ain’t never seen nothin like it”...

I begin asking around who’s the best Marine electrician in Tampa Bay and Get hooked up with CJ... one look and he says “you got a main line short, Its inside the paneling and begins chasing it down (remember everything else in the boat still works).... after cutting through the panel on top of the engine room wiring panel, he discovers the melted wires... he then tests the 1982 breakers in the main panel for correct trip voltage... (surprise, NONE of them trip... they merely start getting hot.). Dr. CJ looks at me and says:
1. Your boats got 35 year old breakers, your wiring is all untinned with mass resistance, your battery charger is toast, and your boat can’t hook up to the Marina pedestals because you have an antique plug that trips their system... and oh yeah, don’t go swimming around your boat because your discharging into the water....

20k later I have a rewired boat, a spiffy electrical management system and a new blue sea panels.

God help those that live classic boats. But by gosh I have an electrical system the envy of any nuclear submarine.

Rick

Inre the paint: P.O. had used Kilz on every piece of exposed teak (gunnels, cap rail, doors, trim... you name it. I’ve stripped everything down and am now sanding. I’m going with Bristol 2 part clear I think. The beauty of a 1982 KK is the plethora of teak. She’s gorgeous.

Dr. CJ looks at me and says:
1. Your boats got 35 year old breakers, your wiring is all untinned with mass resistance, your battery charger is toast, and your boat can’t hook up to the Marina pedestals because you have an antique plug that trips their system... and oh yeah, don’t go swimming around your boat because your discharging into the water....

20k later I have a rewired boat, a spiffy electrical management system and a new blue sea panels.

Daunting story. Is the moral for those who buy old boats to plan on a complete rewire job from the beginning?

Rick, this a very informative post, I spent about the same on the Rose’s new wires and I think that was the best money spent. I sleep good knowing I have a better chance of not waking up in a fire. You know you can post pictures from your phone into the post. We like pictures

Thanks guys... I don’t mean to imply that you shouldn’t buy old KKs. In fact, i’ld do it again. She exudes quality craftsmanship. I guess the real moral of the story is when a boat is uncared for for 30 years there will be consequences. This was an illustration of what happens to electrical wiring and breakers in a humid tropical salt water environment over time. I guess the second take away is this: how many times have you stood in Home Depot looking at wiring (after checking prices at Worst Marine) and said to yourself: wow this wire is much cheaper here! I’m sure the boys in Taiwan didn’t give it a second thought.

IMG_0342.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom