AC Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captwill

Veteran Member
I have a King Air AC unit on board. I was away from the boat for 2 weeks and when I returned there was no water flow, power was on and the fan was running. I secured the system and found the strainer plugged with debris. I cleaned and established water flow to the system.

When I turned on the AC back on, the fan comes on, the water pump comes on and has flow, but no compressor.

If the system ran for days without cooling water, where should I be looking for issues or would that have fried the compressor?

Thanks

Bill

Is there a reset button? Mine would occasionally kick off in those circumstances.

Look for a reset button on the refrigerant lines. My Mermaid units will trip the button if water flow is lost.

I couldn't find a reset button...found an overheated connection on what appears to be an overload protector. How would I check to see if this has failed? Put a meter across the terminals and check for continuity?

Thanks

Bill

Attachments

• pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0511[6736].jpg
    IMG_0511[6736].jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 75
Hgh pressure cut out.

Most units have a high pressure cut out control that will open the compressor circuits when you have no water flow. Look over unit carefully and somewhere on the smaller line set you will find a control with two wires going to control box. Should be a red button on top to reset it. Some unit also have a reset in t-stat ,off then on. Look at wiring diagram for h/ p control.

Bymetal kixson

Your pictures are of the compressors by metal kixson. This opens the common wire to the compressor when it gets overloaded or high temp. You can om across the terminals to see if it is open. If it is open ,put jumper across and see if unit will start. Maybe able to pickup one at an appliance parts supplier.

You may have also drawn air into the system, that will give you a HI PR reading. Check to see if you have a bleed hose or valve just before the RW pump. If so turn on the system and quickly bleed the air. It may mean sucking on a hose until you get running water!

It is not good for the compressor to repeatedly cycle on the thermal overload. Those Klixon overloads are often available on Amazon or elsewhere online. Make sure the new one matches the old. There should be a manual reset high pressure switch to protect the system in the event of water failure in cooling or fan failure in heating. Make sure the pressure rating is correct for the refrigerant in your unit.

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom