View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #26
Group9
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
We have come to that very decision. Our last two trips to the Bahamas, we took an 11 foot Boston Whaler as our tender. Both times, but more so the last, we kept thinking about how nice it would be to have a bigger, and faster, tender for longer exploring trips. Especially, as we saw more and more fellow cruisers doing that very thing without disaster ensuing.

This trip, we will be trading the Whaler for a small Water Tender 9.0 on davits, for short trips, shoal beach landings, and dinghy dock tie ups where space is limited. For, general use and longer excursions, we are towing our Mako 22 foot center console behind us.

In neither of our last two trips, did we ever get ourselves into a situation where towing the center console would have been a problem (I can't say the same thing for when I was younger and did a lot more stupid stuff).

One good thing about old age and having made lots of trips, is that I have finally become pretty good at picking good weather windows, and, being retired, I am more than patient enough to wait for as long as it takes to get one.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote