Gulf ICW Bridge Heights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
What is the lowest bridge height from Galveston Bay, Tx, to Mobile Bay, Al.?

I'm pretty sure the lowest in all of MS. to Florida is 50'.

I'm pretty sure all of La. is at least 50' high, but not absolutely certain.

I don't know anything about TX.

All help would be greatly apprecaited and thanks in advance.

Tony B

I know the Ellender bridge at Lake Charles, La. is 50' but it can open much higher. I believe everything else that is fixed is 73' all the way into florida. I just sold a 36' Hunter with 63' clearance and have traveled from Mobile all the way to Kemah

Another thought though. Privious response was for the GICW. There is a 65' bridge at I-10 Slidell (in Pontratrain Lake) and there is a 50' bridge just north of the ICW in Morgan City.

superdiver wrote:
Here is a question from someone who is never around bridges....

If you need to have a draw bridge opened so you can pass, I would assume its something that you schedule and do they charge you for doing it?
*It has been my experience that one would need a minimum of 72 hour notice before getting a bridge to open and the average transit fee is $5,000.00. But that is average. Chuck

Capn Chuck wrote:superdiver wrote:

If you need to have a draw bridge opened so you can pass, I would assume its something that you schedule and do they charge you for doing it?
*It has been my experience that one would need a minimum of 72 hour notice before getting a bridge to open and the average transit fee is $5,000.00. But that is average. Chuck

*My leg hurts
biggrin.gif

I have sailed most of Fl. to Texas at one time or another. Sometimes inside and sometimes outside the ICW. I have never heard of anyone ever having to pay a fee to open a bridge. .
The lowest fixed bridge I know of along the way is 50'. Some were in Al. and some in Florida. As for waiting, I have never waited more than about 30 minutes for a bridge to open, even some of those that require advance notice opened upon request. What is un-nerving is when the bridge tender is saying "just come on through" and the bridge is still down. As you approach, traffic is still flowing and bridge is still down. You start to wonder if that person just has a good sense of humor. Just as you are about to say "screw this, I got to turn around or lose my mast, the arms come down to stop traffic and within yards of the bridge, it finally starts to open.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything lower than 50'. My current mast is 51' from the water - heck, that's close enough.

I know going up Mobile Bay to Mobile, Al. is good. How about low fixed bridges from Mobile all the way up to Padukah, Ky?

I have made numerous trips from New Orleans to Galveston Bay. My mast height was 63'. The "Ellender" bridge (50' normal) is the only bridge that is not manned. You need to give them 4 hours notice. Every time I passed through as I approched the bridge after the 4 hours notice they would call me on VHF and I never was delayed. Most time not even to slow down as I passed under. Great service from the Louisiana DOTD

Across FL , just before entering lake O from the East is a 48 ft. RR bridge.

On the ICW only NJ needs to be avoided , many bridges that are about 20-25 ft , and fairly shallow behind the barrier islands.

WE ran thru with our 3.6 ft draft an a 10-.5 ft air draft with our lobster boat , but did touch IN channels in spots.

Going north IN at Cape May , out at Atlantic City and along shore to Manasquan (sp) then the next day to NY harbor works for us.

Hit the lower bay at LOW tide and you can get to Long Island Sound up the East River ,(anchor at City Island) in one long but lots of eye candy enjoyable day.

since we are on the subject there is a bridge on the icw in Aransas Pass that is 48ft. There is also an alternative icw that goes around it.

And the alternate route(Lydia Anne Channel) is much more desirable anyway.....

superdiver wrote:

OK guys I can't take it anymore!
no.gif
Bridges open either on schedule or on demand. Schedules tend to be on the half hour or hour with restricted openings during rush hour in some locations. If on demand you hail them on the VHF channel they monitor (different* from State to State) and they immediately start the opening sequence. All free.

Daddyo wrote:*
OK guys I can't take it anymore!
no.gif
Bridges open either on schedule or on demand. Schedules tend to be on the half hour or hour with restricted openings during rush hour in some locations. If on demand you hail them on the VHF channel they monitor (different* from State to State) and they immediately start the opening sequence. All free.
********* Daddyo,* Thanks for clearing that up!** Never heard of anyone paying for an opening.

********* Your new boat looks great!* Like the Avatar.** JohnP

Back
Top Bottom