Which wrist watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah yes, I found the truth. :)

Apologies for an "on subject" comment. If you are attracted to a watch collection, solar powered is good. Mechanical self winders will run down as you wear different watches on different days, and replacing batts can be annoying. DIY wind mechanical watches seem to be getting rare but doubtless there are purists who own and cherish one.
Even solar charged batts have a lifespan, but it seems it is a long one.Anyone had a solar charged batt die, if so, after how long?

Apologies for an "on subject" comment. If you are attracted to a watch collection, solar powered is good. Mechanical self winders will run down as you wear different watches on different days, and replacing batts can be annoying. DIY wind mechanical watches seem to be getting rare but doubtless there are purists who own and cherish one.
Even solar charged batts have a lifespan, but it seems it is a long one.Anyone had a solar charged batt die, if so, after how long?

Good points. I have heard that the batteries on the Citizen eco-drives will on occasion have to be replaced. I have also heard that it is not easy. I've opened up one of my Citizen Eco-drives but would not attempt a battery replacement on it. That I'll give to a shop to do. Other batteries I can replace.

I have a winder for automatic watches. The watches I am not wearing go in the winder which simply turns then about 1000 times each 24 hour period to keep them wound. The automatic watches I have only have about a 40 hour reserve. So you can keep them going if you wear them every other day but not less.

Unfortunately, I have 5 decent (but relatively cheap) watches that take batteries. That means 5 watches that will need battery replacement. If I get another automatic watch, I'll need to get another auto winder.

Wifey B: The watch I'm wearing today. :)

fossil womens.jpg

I believe in Timex. When the battery eventually runs out, it's a choice between a $10 battery replacement or a new Timex.

My Citizen Eco-Drive is over 20 years old and still going strong. Most accurate watch I've ever owned.

My Citizen Eco-Drive is over 20 years old and still going strong. Most accurate watch I've ever owned.

Same here, my white-faced Eco-Drive is always on time, and miraculously the date is always right too. When I first set it years ago I must have accidentally set everything perfectly. And then the manual says if I leave it in the dark for a long time it will stop or run down, but it never has died, even after I leave it in the dark or face down for days at a time. By far the most reliable watch I've ever had.

I got 46 months out of my Solar Seiko Flightmaster Chronograph before the battery died.

I got 46 months out of my Solar Seiko Flightmaster Chronograph before the battery died.

I am not sure how the Seiko Solar compares with the Citizen eco-drive. I have my first Seiko solar powered watch arriving today so we'll see how long it lasts.

I am not sure how the Seiko Solar compares with the Citizen eco-drive. I have my first Seiko solar powered watch arriving today so we'll see how long it lasts.

I'm amazed at battery life today of all watches.

Which Wrist Watch

Probably only crazy watch people will understand this, but here goes.

Over the years, I've owned many watches. When digital came out, I was enamored by them and owned several (The Casio G-Shock was best bang for the buck). I even owned one of the original solar watches, Syncronar, hand made,no batteries, couldn't be repaired (it's in the drawer if anyone is interested). Now I've realized that 'old-fashioned' is probably still the best. I have two watches that now fulfill all my 'Watch needs'. For my 60th birthday, I got a Rolex Submariner, which is my 'Daily Driver'. Back in the last century (1969), I was overseas with the Air Force (Yes, it was ours!). I had purchased a Heuer Autavia (before they became Tag/Heuer) at the Base Exchange for about $ 70.00. It was a chronograph with a sweep second timer and two smaller dials on the face, a 60 second and a 30 min elapsed time (I think, I gave it to my brother). I happened to see in a magazine (pre-internet days that's how you got 'current' information) that Heuer had a newer model Autavia (Stands for Auto/Aviation), with THREE smaller dials on the face, 60 seconds, 30 minutes and 12 hours. I had to have it, and I wrote to Heuer because the BX didn't have that model. I paid the princely sum of $160, which I think was about one months salary. The Heuer fell out of favor when the digital watches became popular, and I forgot about it (It's was in the same drawer as the Syncronar). Last year, I thought I'd get the Heuer running again and sent it to Govberg, in Pennsylvania who specialize in 'Fine Watch Repair'. They informed me that it was a 'Historical' model and had to go back to Switzerland for repair. (By association, I suppose I'm now also a historical model). Here's the point of the tale. The repair on the $ 160.00 watch cost almost $ 2,000! Folly, you say? The last time I looked, the $ 160.oo watch sold for between $ 11,000.oo and $14,000.oo dollars. I wish I had bought a carload of them. Can you imagine if we could make a 'profit on our older boats?

VJames

If you had bout a truckload of those watches they would be a few dollars each. At least that is what would happen to me. :banghead:

Can you imagine if we could make a 'profit on our older boats?

I've always been surprised that even first edition boats didn't rise to huge values. I've known several manufacturers of runabouts who bought back their first boat and/or some of their first ones and the prices have never been what I would have thought. It has been basically, you bring me the old boat and I'll give you a brand new one. Now, that's still been $20,000-40,000 but nothing like a car the same vintage would bring.

Last year, I thought I'd get the Heuer running again and sent it to Govberg, in Pennsylvania who specialize in 'Fine Watch Repair'. They informed me that it was a 'Historical' model and had to go back to Switzerland for repair. (By association, I suppose I'm now also a historical model). Here's the point of the tale. The repair on the $ 160.00 watch cost almost $ 2,000! Folly, you say? The last time I looked, the $ 160.oo watch sold for between $ 11,000.oo and $14,000.oo dollars.

Great story.

I'm glad you got the watch serviced and will enjoy it. I seem to be acquiring a number of watches. None of them are expensive, even moderately so by watch standards. None of the watches I own will appreciate in value, but they are appreciated by me. All the watches I own combined don't add up to the cost of a Rolex Submariner.

Still they are fun. I really am enjoying my Seiko SKX173 Core Diver. However in a week moment I couldn't resist trying to get Citizen's spot in that same market niche, the Promaster NY0040. I think this is the last automatic watch that Citizen still makes.

Issue with some chronometer type sports watches is thickness, they can be 11-13 mm thick. They have to accommodate some machinery and battery, but that`s thick. My titanium cased Citizen version comes in at 10mm. My Omega (De Ville) I expect would be highly allergic to water is 3mm thick. Quartz, takes a slimline battery.

I enjoy the colorful, fashion watches someone in my family has bought me tons of. I remember having a couple, then a few, then suddenly it seems one of every style and color. (I confess too that when we're shopping I see a new one occasionally I just feel a need to have. I think of the fine watches like my Tag Heuer as man's equivalent of fine jewelry and of the colorful and stylish watches like Fossil as man's equivalent of fashion or even costume jewelry.

I'm not going to wear chains and necklaces or even bracelets. No earrings. No cuff links. So the only jewelry is watches.

Ok, yet another watch, and my last one for a long time. This is the Citizen automatic diver NY0040-09E.

Very similar to the Seiko diver I showed above. This is a bit unique with the crown at 8:00 o'clock. So far very comfortable even with the rubber strap.
IMG_20170720_111241.jpg

No more watches, I promise.

I ended up buying yet another watch. I believe that a few of you may have this or it's predisessors. It is a Seiko dive watch, specifically the SKX173. This is an automatic WR to 200 meters. Day, date, unidirectional bezel and screw down crown. You can buy the SKX007 new for about $170, I just liked the looks of the SKX173. Same watch just a slightly different face.

I haven't worn a watch in 25 years but thats pretty much the same as mine from 40 years ago but mines a Pulsar, which is a rebadged Seiko.

Ok, yet another watch, and my last one for a long time. This is the Citizen automatic diver NY0040-09E....
No more watches, I promise.
Not until the next one..:)

Sounds like a cigarette smoker saying this is my last one. LOL

My favorite is my Ebel "E Type" solid gold with a composite rubber wrist band. It's an automatic with date. Although fairly accurate, a $10 quartz from Walmart will be more accurate.

When I used to be in the water every day, I wore a Citizen dive watch that I absolutely loved!! I dived to 170 feetwith it, water skiied ( and fell a lot ), jump off speeding boats....it was great. The only problem was the bands only lasted a few years. It was $125 watch that required a $35 band every 2 or 3 years. My wife had a Citizen kinetic drive for a long time that I thought was pretty unique...it was a motion charged quartz watch. All in all...I'd say I'm a big fan of Citizen for a low to mid tier watch. I'd have to go with Casio or Timex for a cheap durable digital, and probably a Tag or a Tudor if someone else was paying for it....( Tudor is a Rolex case with a quartz movement...durable, attractive, accurate....and of course, expensive)

( i just did a little "googling"....I may be wrong about Tudor watches....I thought they were quartz but they seem to be mechanical....I'll switch to Tag for high end therefore...if I'm going to spend a few boat bucks for a watch..it better be really accurate!! )

Last edited:
I have a knock off of a G shock made in China looks the same but it has H shock on the bezel. Bought it for $3.95.

When I used to be in the water every day, I wore a Citizen dive watch that I absolutely loved!! I dived to 170 feetwith it, water skiied ( and fell a lot ), jump off speeding boats....it was great. The only problem was the bands only lasted a few years. It was $125 watch that required a $35 band every 2 or 3 years.

I like strap instead of bracelet bands in general. I have decided that straps are a consumable item. You don't have to spend a lot however. This is a band that I put on my Seiko Automatic Diver. It is an $11 NATO strap.
IMG_20170720_212510.jpg

Long ago, when I was a frantic 20-something year old trying to take over the world, I was given the best advice ever:

"Take off your watch- now you have nothing but time."

I do wear one when scuba diving, but otherwise have not worn a watch regularly in over 25 years.

I stopped wearing years ago as my wrist would break out over time. Same reason I stopped wearing rings. Now, my ring is coated on the inside and most of my watches are stainless steel. Any gold watch I also get coated. So wearing watches resumed.

I like knowing the time and don't want to think it's 25 or 6 to 4.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom