Mainship 430 Aft Cabin - Dinghy Lift and Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
We have a 2005 Mainship 430 Aft Cabin trawler and we’re now thinking of a dinghy lift system and a dinghy.

We recently invested in a major repair to the swim platform and don’t want to place the weight of the dinghy on the swim platform. We’re looking for ideas for a dinghy lift system that can bolt on to the transom to alleviate the weight on the swim platform. We also think we’re looking for a dinghy with a fiberglass hull and an engine that won’t cause undue stress on the transom mounts.

We’re interested to hear about what other 430 trawler owners have that would fit this configuration, and if any reinforcements are required on the transom and what power source they used.

What type of dinghy lift system do you use and what type of dinghy? We would prefer to have a fiberglass bottom dinghy and would like to NOT have to remove the engine each time we use the lift.

What have others done? We would especially be interested in other Mainship 430 aft cabin trawler owners’ solutions.

Thanks

Jim

Your requirements point to a St Croix type of davit mounted to your transom.

David

The Jatco Trillogy mount system starts with mounting on the swim platform...

But then it also allows for additional transom-mounted struts/supports that you can add as you build up the system to the weight you need to carry, including reserve. (I think ours is maybe good for up to 750 lbs or some such... and we lift/carry a 10' RIB with 15-hp 4-stroke outboard, total around 260-lbs including battery and fuel.)

I think they've got a newer system that lifts the dinghy slightly differently but also includes a method for significantly boosting capacity without completely relying on the swim platform.

-Chris

I used St Croix and the only issue I had was that the dingy would swing sideways in choppy waters so I added a stabilizer bar between them and also bring the dingy towards the boat with two SS rachets straps also from St. Croix, and now it is wonderful. Gave me somewhere for my flag as a bonus :)

Attachments

• IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 106
Jim, I am in the process of adding a HB Rib to my 43. I to recently had my platform reworked so that I could place my dinghy on it. I am going with the Nautley dinghy ramp system rated for 500lbs. My dinghy with motor has a wet weight of 460lbs. They only concern I have is that I will have to use a small block and tackle to get the dinghy over center to load. I had my step stool on the platform removed for this reason. I will be installing in October if you would like photo's

We're currently evaluating the St Croix system - saw one in use at the marina this weekend. And we're also looking at a Nick Jackson solution. We're thinking we'd prefer a center console hard bottom hull (fiberglass or aluminum) and are looking at options. Either way, we think a 700 pound lift is in store for us.

More to follow...

Jim

Our 430 has a Roskelley/Olsson 1000 lb davit on the swimstep. We carry a 12ft Zodiac center console with a 40hp Honda. It weighs about 850 lbs. Under the swimstep are two 1.25 inch square tube stainless supports that are triangulated. They will support the davit and dinghy even if the swimstep was gone. If I can find pictures I will post them.

Jim, I am in the process of adding a HB Rib to my 43. I to recently had my platform reworked so that I could place my dinghy on it. I am going with the Nautley dinghy ramp system rated for 500lbs. My dinghy with motor has a wet weight of 460lbs. They only concern I have is that I will have to use a small block and tackle to get the dinghy over center to load. I had my step stool on the platform removed for this reason. I will be installing in October if you would like photo's

I would never put 460 lbs on a 500 lb rated system. 80% of rated capacity is generally considered the safe number. Is 460 lbs full of fuel, with all tackle, anchors, and other equipment?

porman, Pics would be great when you get to it.

Jim

I would never put 460 lbs on a 500 lb rated system. 80% of rated capacity is generally considered the safe number. Is 460 lbs full of fuel, with all tackle, anchors, and other equipment?

This made me smile.
The Steelhead WD 600 crane on our boat is actually a WD 800 with a different decal, produced at the behest of Tomco. They aparrently don't want so much weight on top of their aft upper deck as the crane would allow so...
Bruce

This made me smile.
The Steelhead WD 600 crane on our boat is actually a WD 800 with a different decal, produced at the behest of Tomco. They aparrently don't want so much weight on top of their aft upper deck as the crane would allow so...
Bruce

Wise Tomco. They know the build of the aft upper deck and rather than telling you to go ahead, that it can hold twice that much, they're advising cautiously based on what they believe to be a safe weight. Doesn't mean you wouldn't be fine with more, but they're not willing to take that chance so neither should you be.

This made me smile.

Bruce

I have the same Steelhead WD600 on my boat Bruce. I have always thought that the WD600 was an older version of the WD800. It is interesting that you have a WD600 since that isn't listed in the Steelhead line up.

My feeling has reflected BandB's, not wanting to go to the rated limit. However, it the WD600 is simply a rebadged WD800 to reflect the limits the builder wants on the boat deck, then I am less concerned about putting 600lbs on that crane.

My feeling has reflected BandB's, not wanting to go to the rated limit. However, it the WD600 is simply a rebadged WD800 to reflect the limits the builder wants on the boat deck, then I am less concerned about putting 600lbs on that crane.

I agree. The limiting factor is the roof, not the crane in his situation.

Sorry Jim, I'm having some trouble adding pictures right now. Will try again later.

Vacser:

Did you install the Nautley system? I am looking at installing one on my 36' grand banks and would appreciate any feedback you might have.

Regards.

davit1.jpg

davit2.jpgFinally got pictures loaded

I installed the Jatco HD600 lb lift. The new owner of the boat loves it. He has ran over 500hrs in just 6 months last year with no issues.

Does anyone know how much weight the swim platform can handle? I put a 450lb dingy on it and now I have some movement.

Does anyone know how much weight the swim platform can handle? I put a 450lb dingy on it and now I have some movement.

Can't speak to your boat, but I was able to ask our builder that question... and the answer was 500-lbs of LIVE weight. They wouldn't answer about dead weight load. This was a swim platform with four struts to the transom.

I added two additional struts direct from our dinghy lift... to handle our ~265-lb dinghy/motor load...

-Chris

Agree w first sentence. Disagree w 80%. Shockload of dinghy/motor/fuel on davits in a seaway will likely require far more than 20% safety factor. I would go w 100% or more. Of course I am a belt + suspenders person. I do not have physics/data to back up my comment, just many years experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom