Question about Kadey Krogen vs Krogen Express

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrisHamish

Vessel Name
Beluga
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Hi Guys,

We dont see a lot of either Kadey Krogen or Krogen Express down here in OZ, but both types are always featured somewhere in Passagemaker magazines. I had assumed, given the similar names, they were just different product lines from the same manufacturer.

However I gather from some other threads that the two brands arent related at all? Is it just that they happen to both share the name "Krogen" and both happen to be nice looking trawlers??

I have Googled this question and could find a clear answer, so grateful for an explanation from (perhaps a US member) who knows the difference.

Tx,

H.

One sips fuel as it circumnavigates, the other (the express) jumps up on plane and guzzles fuel with serious horsepower. Just an uninformed guess :D

Jim Krogen, the naval architect behind the Krogen full displacement trawlers designed the first Krogen Express in the 1990s(?) as a planing boat. The two lines have sold separately since inception and serve different markets. The exteriors and interiors have many common touches because of Jim Krogen's influence on both designs.

The K express is a modestly fast semi-displacement boat while the other K is a sub-displacement long range cottaged up traveler. The express can travel sub-displacement at good fuel economy but does not have the range nor the hull for long distance use. Both make excellent coastal cruisers each with their own twist. If you don't ever want to travel faster than nine knots and you want a cottage on the water capable of crossing open water the standard Krogan is the answer if you want to move at 16+K now and then you are looking at an express.

I talk to Krogen Express owner John Tegtmeyer every year at the Annapolis power boat show. As I remember our conversation on this issue both brands had the same designer but have always been separate companies.

Jim Krogen, the naval architect behind the Krogen full displacement trawlers designed the first Krogen Express in the 1990s(?) as a planing boat. The two lines have sold separately since inception and serve different markets. The exteriors and interiors have many common touches because of Jim Krogen's influence on both designs.

Kadey Krogen split off (sold) Krogen Express in one of the recessions: either the Dot com or housing busts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom