Harrowing crossing to the Bahamas. [emoji23]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Beating us to death" "whoa this is bad"

Give me a break! ?

They should rename their boat "Drama Queen".

Their crossing was more like a staged "reality" TV show.

I am terrible at judging wave height. I find that I can judge it best by not looking ahead or astern, but looking to the side along the length of the trough and peaks.

In that video, above it looks like 3-4' at the most to me.

"The sea was angry that day my friends "
George Costanza from the Seinfeld Marine Biologist episode.

I am terrible at judging wave height. I find that I can judge it best by not looking ahead or astern, but looking to the side along the length of the trough and peaks.

In that video, above it looks like 3-4' at the most to me.

I do similar and try to imagine myself standing in the bottom of the trough. If they're 6' I shouldn't be able to see over them. When I do that I pretty quickly realize they're much closer to 4 than 6.

"It is very hard to get a good handle on the seas from video shot from above rather than at water level."

Just site along the horizon using your bow tail and/or flag staff as a reference as they move above and below the horizon should give you a pretty good idea of the size of the seas.

Personally I don't see any 8-9' in that video.

Looks more like 4-6'.

Looks like mostly around 4', some up to 6' but no 8-9'. At that speed your bow travel is very close to the wave heights.

I wish I was crossing over to the Bahamas right now!

What's stopping you - go!

We're planning on six weeks or so in the Abacos in March/April before we head off to the Chesapeake for a few months.

Love retirement! :thumb:

I think the guy really hated the crossing and truly was miserable, and I think the father or father-in-law was there to watch over them.
Maybe he brought his cc to fish there.

OK, here are my contributions to the rough water vids. This was last year on the Columbia River.

I think the guy really hated the crossing and truly was miserable, and I think the father or father-in-law was there to watch over them.
Maybe he brought his cc to fish there.

Wifey B: I have no idea what the guy's reality was but some people just shouldn't cross, they should stick to the ICW. If the conditions that guy was in are going to flip them out into panic mode then don't be going outside. There are many boaters very happy never to cross. :)

The kids are having a blast and the parents are complaining lol. Should have secured for sea better! I love how she talks about 45° rolls, I've been at 45° and a little more and they were not rolling anywhere near that bad!

But harrowing means different things to different people. Rick looked like he was having a blast on the CC

OK, here are my contributions to the rough water vids. This was last year on the Columbia River.

I've had my 60 ft pounding through this same stretch with spray over the top of my flybridge enclosure many times. The gorge can get very rough indeed. It can be a wild river ride through here!

That boat looks like my old Fu Hua right down to the cushions. I had it in 6-7s on the bow and stern and never had a mess like that. On my current boat there is a bell in pilot house. At 7 knots into a 3 foot head sea it will ring every now and then. Into a 4 foot sea it rings on every 3rd or 4th wave. After 5 feet it rings on every wave and that's the message to slow down a little.

Wifey B: Oh we had 110' waves on Lake Norman every 4th of July. They were so tall they'd hit the sky and cause lights of all colors to go off in the sky and loud sounds. :rofl:

WifeyB. We have that in south Florida on the same day. Wow, what a coincidence.

I have posted this video before. It is 100 miles through GOM chop in my 25' Blackfin. My late wife piloted the whole way perched on top of the leaning post. That boat has one sweet ride.

Of course, that's also the difference between 7 knots and 24 knots.

I have posted this video before. It is 100 miles through GOM chop in my 25' Blackfin. My late wife piloted the whole way perched on top of the leaning post. That boat has one sweet ride.

Of course, that's also the difference between 7 knots and 24 knots.

Wifey B: I like her style, just let me put this thing up on top and go, go, go. What's a little bit of waves anyway? I bet she was even enjoying it. We see center consoles crossing to and from the Bahamas every time we're out, regardless of conditions. It's like, if it's ok for us, it's ok for them. I can't help but laugh comparing that video to the "harrowing" one. :)

Wifey B: I like her style, just let me put this thing up on top and go, go, go. What's a little bit of waves anyway? I bet she was even enjoying it. We see center consoles crossing to and from the Bahamas every time we're out, regardless of conditions. It's like, if it's ok for us, it's ok for them. I can't help but laugh comparing that video to the "harrowing" one. :)

You're right. She did love to run that boat. She was my equal in boating in every way. There was no auto pilot. She hand steered all the way. However, the way the Blackfin tracks very little steering involved. We were on our way to the Chandeleur Islands off Louisiana for a little fishing. After a days fishing running back in she would hand the wheel over to me. Even in 4' slop she would lay across a bench and sleep all the way back.

Last edited:
You're right. She did love to run that boat. She was my equal in boating in every way. There was no auto pilot. She hand steered all the way. However, the way the Blackfin tracks very little steering is involved. We were on our way to the Chandeleur Islands off Louisiana for a little fishing. After a days fishing running back in she would hand the wheel over to me. Even in 4' slop she would lay across a bench and sleep all the back.

Wifey B: My kind of woman. Thanks for sharing the incredible memories. :)

Don

If you guys were fishing why did you bypass that platform on your starboard side.

It looked like you were following a sport fisherman back in?

How was the fishing?

Irv we would fish the rigs quite often, but this was a trip to try out the red fish, mackerel, and other inshore fishing. I didn't put the heavier tackle on the boat. The fishing is usually good, and it was. The Chandeleur Islands are the fishiest looking place on the Gulf Coast. Around the rigs if offshore we would be hunting for tuna. Inshore smoker kings. (they could smoke a reel).

Northern Gulf Coast area is really good fishing. I had my Blackfin down there 9 years. I just got tired of dodging hurricanes, so brought her home. I can fish off the Sabre, but it's not the same. Sometimes we troll some lines going over to the Bahamas. Especially if some good weed lines develop. Then we anchor at Great Sale Cay, and cook fresh fish for dinner.

https://youtu.be/JpFfOfyJ6Ks

Our last harrowing crossing of the Gulf Stream, leaving from No Name Harbor at daybreak and bashing our way to Gun Cay! (We were in a sailboat. No powerboat would have survived!).

Last edited:
Great stories Don, et al. Keep em coming!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom