The start of a nice project (clipper 30ft)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hoi Matt,
Originally it was done with Velcro .... but the velcro strips came of the timber beams (prepd with ply) (the glue didn't hold) and the velcro strips weren't the full length of the board , so what we have done now is , have little bracket to hold each of the panels up, and just the last one we hold up with velcro, we glued the velcro to the timber and stapled them as well ... and it seems to hold .... you could probably glue and staple the velcro all the way .... as long as you use the full length of the board with velcro. We found that it was holding OK except in very hot weather ...
Attached a picture of the preparation, sorry if it is not very clear, please ask ....
Cheers. Erik

Hey Erik
Thanks for the reply mate. I don't suppose you have a couple of pics of those little brackets do you?
Cheers again mate
Matt

iPad Forum Runner

Hendo, have you seen what scary has been up to on the "I'm about to start a project on.... " Thread? He looks like tho potential source of some good help in your project, as they have had to replace significant rot damaged sections.

Ah yep the chriscraft job. I have seen this thread. That guy is a great craftsman. Totally different league to me and my girl :)

iPad Forum Runner

Ok, Erik. We will think of you while out there. However, we must eventually link up, surely.
PS. Sending this on my new iPad. Now, all I have to do is download that Garmin Blue Chart App. Then I will really be cooking. It will be good backup to my Lowrance, and for the fly bridge. Now it is up to a good weather window.

I am using Navionics HD on the ipad on the flybridge, like it

Yes. In the end, forewarned by something Marin said, I compared prices, and at $321 for Bluechart, compared to $40 for Navionics, I went with the same for now.

Hi John,No I don't think it's common .... but as she didn't have an proper electric winch, we wanted to put one one, the anchor went over a high sitting bowsprit and a Samson post it was hard to put one in. We needed to build a proper anchor well .... so we decided to build the well, put the platform straight on the deck, and make a hole in the bow .... was scary ... I hope it works and that I don't get much water in it through there .....

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 03:54:01 PM
Did you build an anchor well from "scratch", i would be intressed in pics since our boat doesnt have one and i liked to have a windlass in front.
ps: very nice job on your boat, spec the forward cabin, very modern looking.:thumb:

Enclosing the flybridge

Hello all,
does anyone remember me? :)
Looking at enclosing the flybridge, probably putting a fibreglass roof on, what does the forum think about that ? I am thinking about it, am going to draw something up, anyone done this on a small flybridge ?
I had the boat for sale, but had no interest, so will make it a bit better for our own use.

Talk to you guys soon !

Erik

Hello all,
does anyone remember me? :)
Looking at enclosing the flybridge, probably putting a fibreglass roof on, what does the forum think about that ? I am thinking about it, am going to draw something up, anyone done this on a small flybridge ?
I had the boat for sale, but had no interest, so will make it a bit better for our own use.

Talk to you guys soon !

Erik

Hi, Erik. Where yah been..? 'course I/we remember you. Welcome back. :)

As to building in the flybridge...for mine, I'd advise don't do it. Too much fixed windage and weight, especially for a 30 footer. But also, being brutally frank, and based on how my boat, the 34 feet version of yours, has also been hard to sell, asking significantly less than you, hence the lack of interest. Unfortunately, it would just add to the considerable amount you have already sunk into the boat, but not get back. Sorry, but the reality is, it is not a buoyant market for boats like ours here right now, and too easily to over-capitalise.

Besides, Shipshape looks right how she is. More up top might not. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
My take on it, if you live in a climate where more than half the time you wouldnt sit outside, then probably a good idea.

I like the openess of a bridge with only a bimini, but and enclosurevis great for those nasty days, but then again my saloon is fine for comfortable lounging.

If I did a lotvof rough weather, open water work, I definitely would not do it on smaller than 40 foot boats unlesx their design was massinve making the bridge enclosure minimal.

Hi, Erik. Where yah been..? 'course I/we remember you. Welcome back. :)

As to building in the flybridge...for mine, I'd advise don't do it. Too much fixed windage and weight, especially for a 30 footer. But also, being brutally frank, and based on how my boat, the 34 feet version of yours, has also been hard to sell, asking significantly less than you, hence the lack of interest. Unfortunately, it would just add to the considerable amount you have already sunk into the boat, but not get back. Sorry, but the reality is, it is not a buoyant market for boats like ours here right now, and too easily to over-capitalise.

Besides, Shipshape looks right how she is. More up top might not. Just sayin'...

G'day Peter, yes I am way over over-capitalising, yep I am over it :), I don't worry about it, I just like what I have done, it looks pretty good and is solid, as I can't sell (Wish I had a bit bigger boat) I am therefor thinking making it a bit better. I was thinking putting a solid roof on it (twice the size as canopy) a fibreglass roof on poles, or maybe a small fibreglass support, this would give me more space out of the sun on those hot days (as the seat/table is just not under the Bimini. I could have clears on it if necessary, which I could roll down when these heave rains are there, allowing us to still sit upstairs. Remember , my cabin is much more smaller than yours .... and as such not so comfortable and roomy. Again, food for thought. Talk soon and thanks for your feedback. Erik

I wanted to do the same on my 30 footer. Wanted to replace the bimini with hard roof. Then I did a cruise during out chilly month of October and I realized how enjoyable it is to be able to retract the bimini and cruise under the sun when the temp is a bit lower than expected. I will keep my bimini as is over the fly bridge but will add a hard top over the aft deck, the best of the two world for me.

L.

I wanted to do the same on my 30 footer. Wanted to replace the bimini with hard roof. Then I did a cruise during out chilly month of October and I realized how enjoyable it is to be able to retract the bimini and cruise under the sun when the temp is a bit lower than expected. I will keep my bimini as is over the fly bridge but will add a hard top over the aft deck, the best of the two world for me.

L.

That is great, I like the look of your flybridge, and the fibre glass support do interest me ... love to do the same on mine, would I be able to get a detailed photo form the side of the fibreglass bridge? I appreciate what you are saying, but for us, here at the Goldcoast, its 10 months out of 12 .. HOT in the sun :)
Thanks. Erik

I am thinking of getting into a defever 44 ... I am selling shipshape .... anyone has some advice re these Defevers ? I am looking at buying one in Hongkong, or Australia, as I want a 240 V equiped one. Because of the value, probably looking at around the 90's. All advice is appreciated. Thanks. Erik

Shipshape Update

Hi All
I’ve read this thread many times since buying Shipshape late last year. Erik and Bridget poured their heart and soul, and a ton of money into this Clipper 30 and I’m now the beneficiary of their dedication to doing it right, using all the very best equipment. We are trying to carry on their legacy by keeping ShipShape looking as good as it did after the refit. We feel blessed to own such a wonderful boat and plan to enjoy it for years to come.
Mike

Attachments

• C26E744D-86B1-4B21-BCE2-F9E76B226B1B.jpg
    C26E744D-86B1-4B21-BCE2-F9E76B226B1B.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 7EB80972-D40D-4783-B8B4-C00B2467339E.jpg
    7EB80972-D40D-4783-B8B4-C00B2467339E.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 83
I am doing the same with my 29 foot express cruiser styled boat, new engine, fuel and water tanks, bow thruster, etc., too much to elaborate. For me as I'm sure for him, I am enjoying bringing a boat back to life that is older, in my case 50 to 55 years old and built by a manufacture in Vancouver British Columbia that has disappeared off the radar. In a way, I feel my boat is an homage to boat builders in BC that existed but will never be recognized.

I'm sure after all the work done on your boat, the success of the restoration will be partially measured by its continued luster over the years. In my case, I will be gifting my boat to my son so some of my motivation to rebuilding is to pass on a boat that won't need a massive over haul when he receives it.

I'm sure you know how lucky you are to have a new old boat.

Hi All
I’ve read this thread many times since buying Shipshape late last year. Erik and Bridget poured their heart and soul, and a ton of money into this Clipper 30 and I’m now the beneficiary of their dedication to doing it right, using all the very best equipment. We are trying to carry on their legacy by keeping ShipShape looking as good as it did after the refit. We feel blessed to own such a wonderful boat and plan to enjoy it for years to come.
Mike

I am so glad the new owners are enjoying our years of dedication and hard work, indeed a lovely boat and we hope it will last lots more decades to come. Have fun with the lovely "ship" and keep her in good "shape". Greetings. Erik and Brigitte

Hi ShipShape. Did you have a Cuddles that you refitted at Horizon Shores with Bruce Forsyth? I saw pictures when I was buying my Cuddles. I’m looking for some information on the Cuddles? Is Bruce at Horizon Shores still? Thanks. Sue

cuddles

Hi ShipShape. Did you have a Cuddles that you refitted at Horizon Shores with Bruce Forsyth? I saw pictures when I was buying my Cuddles. I’m looking for some information on the Cuddles? Is Bruce at Horizon Shores still? Thanks. Sue

Hi Sue,
Bruce is out of business. I helped my friend when he was refitting the cuddles himself, nothing to do with Bruce, Bruce only did some work on my clipper. Can I help you with any questions you have re the Cuddles?

Cheers. Erik

Hi Erik. Well I bought an ‘as is, where is’ Cuddles at Horizon shores in May this year. I was looking for information & came across your refit. So I ripped out the 40yr old carpet on the walk & roof & painted it. It’s been freezing! Realised I lost all insulation. Your v berth looked a glossy white. Did you line it first? I love the boat but there’s a lean to starboard that’s quite puzzling, lots of leaks from windows & random holes drilled, nuts without washers etc. it’s certainly a long term project. I’m living on it. I just couldn’t find any plans of electrics & pipes. It’s a 30’ with flybridge. Your work definitely inspired me as I kept photos from it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Sue

Back
Top Bottom