Shower floor not draining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry47

Veteran Member
I have a new to me mainship 47. The aft shower has a list away from the drain.
I'm looking for solutions other people have employed to get the water to drain.

Sponge as part of the post shower cleanup. Just sweep the left over water to the drain.

If you have dual fuel tanks or water tanks, just adjust their level to counter that list. Our shower will drain when perfectly level but if there is even the slightest lest to Starboard we have a similar issue. Foggy gave good solutions that work well, but I find it is easy to just keep the fuel/water adjusted so that when we will be using the shower I have just a tiny list to Port.

If I have a tiny list to starboard due to fuel/water levels, I just transfer 30 gallons of fuel from Starboard to Port and all is well.

Me too--I run fuel out of the port tank to get the slightest starboard list to help shower water flow.

Ken

Me too--I run fuel out of the port tank to get the slightest starboard list to help shower water flow.

Ken

I also noticed that my port water tank empties more quickly than my starboard tank. I noticed this when I was filling and flushing my tanks several times a few weeks ago. The water pump is on the Port side and even though both water tanks are open, the Port tank drains more quickly than the starboard. Even with the fuel level, this tends to give me a slight starboard list making the shower not drain as well (the floor or the shower seat). This last time I closed the Port water tank and started using water from the starboard tank first, then opened the port tank after the starboard was about 3/4 full. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Your squeejee is your friend:
squeegee_progrip%20squeeg.jpg

L.

Have the same problem on my 2002 Novatec trawler, poor design, shower floor should be slanted to drain but the people that build these boats never use them I guess.
Solution is to load provisions and gear to one side or add ballast (verry common)
A few degrees of list will solve the problem.
Or just use a squeegee as others have recomended.
Seems like the designers of boats need feedback from real world experience.
Just my humble opinion.

I have my dive tanks and weights all on the port side to level things out.

I thought I was the only one with this problem . Mine was so bad I was ready to rip out the shower floor and rebuild it until my wife talked me out of it. Our drain is on the starboard side of shower floor and floor is slanted hard to port . I laid a ball bearing on the floor and I'm not sure that I could list the boat enough to make it drain completely. We just sweep it over after showering. .

Last edited:
If the floor is not draining,is shower water also standing in the pipes below and not getting away readily to the pump or sump?

The water drains properly.
I have considered adding fiberglass to change pitch

On a previous boat the shower held about 1.5 gallons of water that would not drain. We had the shower rebuilt with new fiberglass on the pan, bulkheads and overhead. Then had it painted with Awlgrip. Loved the result, but don't ask how much it cost.

If you have access, why not just install a 2nd drain point at the low spot and tee the two drains together.

you could always hang a really big fish from one side of the boat.....

Attachments

• 4BBDCDCC-E562-45AB-82E9-E963A8E024F7.jpg
    4BBDCDCC-E562-45AB-82E9-E963A8E024F7.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 415
If you have dual fuel tanks or water tanks, just adjust their level to counter that list. Our shower will drain when perfectly level but if there is even the slightest lest to Starboard we have a similar issue. Foggy gave good solutions that work well, but I find it is easy to just keep the fuel/water adjusted so that when we will be using the shower I have just a tiny list to Port.

If I have a tiny list to starboard due to fuel/water levels, I just transfer 30 gallons of fuel from Starboard to Port and all is well.

Even after shifting ballast to level our Defever 44, our shower will not fully drain. We keep a small squeegee handy to evacuate the remaining water. Takes maybe 60 seconds. It used to concern me. No longer. I considered rebuilding the shower floor but the squeegee is an inexpensive alternative.

Adjusting the trim of the boat by moving fuel or other items seems just to get the shower to drain seems overly drastic to me. The boat should sit level from side to side at rest. It will run and handle best this way.

Once the boat is level, it's time to look at the shower. A squeegee is the easiest solution. It's cheap and easy. Adding another drain (in the low spot) as someone suggested is one solution. Rebuilding the shower floor to allow water to run down the drain (if you rebuild the floor, you can move the drain if you want) is the most drastic fix but the best fix if you know what you're doing.

Considering that you probably have to do it once a day and only when you're actually on the boat, the squeegee is probably the most practical solution.

Back
Top Bottom