Which wrist watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What was the legal issue? Look like really nice watches. I like the Seikos' too.
I had thought it may have been related to the crown in the logo, but I have also read of possible name copyright issues in the USA. There was a change of distributor name in the USA to Débaufré, though that web site no longer appears to be maintained.

Geez, you folks have greater disposable cash than I. And I hesitate spending more than $10 on Ebay for my watches that keep accurate time. Don't know how I would benefit spending another $190 or more for an accurate time piece. But no, I don't need a watch that will function at depths of 200 meters of water

Either do we... Just like we don't need radars, Multiple GPS and other bling.....

Geez, you folks have greater disposable cash than I. And I hesitate spending more than $10 on Ebay for my watches that keep accurate time. Don't know how I would benefit spending another $190 or more for an accurate time piece. But no, I don't need a watch that will function at depths of 200 meters of water
Might be right if watches were still, well, watches, they`ve become guy jewellery. A Breitling wearing friend near puked when he saw the solar powered Casio with tide chart I usually wear on the boat. But, I do have others...

All very good points. A $10 used ebay quartz watch will likely keep better time than a $1000 automatic timepiece.

I am the first to admit that there is no practical reason that I needed another watch, let alone a $200 timepiece. I have plenty of good watches. I have plenty of good waterproof watches. A watch like the Seiko SKX is not an investment, I can certainly sell it down the road if I want, but I would lose money. I simply wanted it.

I don't smoke and I don't drink good whiskey. A new watch on occasion is a less expensive hobby.

Might be right if watches were still, well, watches, they`ve become guy jewellery. A Breitling wearing friend near puked when he saw the solar powered Casio with tide chart I usually wear on the boat. But, I do have others...

I have been keeping an eye on the Casio Pro-trek PRW2500 watch. It has a nice tide display along with barometer, compass etc... The tide display would be nice. Not too expensive since it is an older design now.

I think I may have a serious problem.

I have been keeping an eye on the Casio Pro-trek PRW2500 watch. It has a nice tide display along with barometer, compass etc... The tide display would be nice. Not too expensive since it is an older design now.

I think I may have a serious problem.
Did you know there are glass fronted boxes for watches holding 7 plus? Won`t help with "the problem" but it will keep the solar ones charged.:)

Pride of ownership drives most high price watch sales. It's fun to have nice things.

Everybody (well almost) has an i-phone.
Are they not a dependable timepiece?

No Dave, I was referring to new watches :thumb:

Even so, a $10 quartz watch is likely more accurate than any of my automatics, at much less cost. Folks buy watches for reasons other than just telling time.

Everybody (well almost) has an i-phone.
Are they not a dependable timepiece?

True Eric. This was covered earlier in this thread. However, during my workday I need to know the time yet can't pull out a cell phone to check. The same is true on the boat where I don't necessarily have my cell phone at hand.

There was a time during professional career when I was checking my cell phone every minute or two unless I was with a patient, taking a shower, or sleeping. Fortunately, I know longer need that level of connection. Since I no longer have the cell phone twitch, I like having a watch on my wrist to keep me on track with my schedule.

Even so, a $10 quartz watch is likely more accurate than any of my automatics, at much less cost. Folks buy watches for reasons other than just telling time.

Sure Dave, I agree with you. Our Sons have expensive everything, drive $75-85K new cars and I have my ancient 2002 Saturn. Yeah, I can afford a new car and might just purchase one soon or at least within the next year, maybe :D

Too much old school here from my youth where I had nothing. Still remember my Grandmother...."waste not, want not" and I apply that to most of my spending habits. Now with Wifey, that is another matter although she is outspent by our Sons.

Last edited:
Sure Dave, I agree with you. Our Sons have expensive everything, drive $75-85K new cars and I have my ancient 2002 Saturn. Yeah, I can afford a new car and might just purchase one soon or at least within the next year, maybe :D

I hear yah. My "new" car is a 2006 Nissan 350Z that I bought used in 2008. My "newish" car is a 2002 Explorer that I only bought new because I was able to get 0% financing and depreciate it as a business expense. I bought my wife a new vehicle, which I hated doing, only because she wanted it.

I like some watches because they reflect either utility or excellence in design. I am comfortable spending under $100 on a watch. I am OK with spending up to $200 if it appeals to me in some unique way. Beyond that, I really am not comfortable. Even at $200 I can envision what my Dad's expression would be. :smitten:

My thought exactly, but it is not my money to burn. I have a Wenger Swiss military watch that was bought new in 1993 for a little over $100 or so. I was 17 then and it still serves as my daily watch. It continues to run great!

My go to boating watch is my solar powered citizens chronograph. It's waterproof to 200 meters and never needs winding or a battery. I've had it for years now and it's as accurate as my atomic watch.

Too much old school here from my youth where I had nothing. Still remember my Grandmother...."waste not, want not" and I apply that to most of my spending habits. Now with Wifey, that is another matter although she is outspent by our Sons.

Me too, I'm thrilled but a little sad. I just sold my '83 Toyota pickup that wouldn't die to a youngster and bought a new to me '03 Tundra.... what a nice truck. I still have my '74 Superbeetle though. And about a dozen cheap watches :lol:

My go to boating watch is my solar powered citizens chronograph. It's waterproof to 200 meters and never needs winding or a battery. I've had it for years now and it's as accurate as my atomic watch.

Very nice watch. I have a Citizen eco-drive chronograph that I use a watch for the office. It is nice and not very expensive. I would really like an eco-drive diver chronograph. I have been keeping an eye out for a reasonably priced used one in good shape.

Yes, watches are guy jewelry.

I like a good watch and have no problem with it. Heck... I see plenty of gals sporting a couple carat diamond, so whats wrong with a nice watch? :blush:

Wifey B: My hubby never spent more than $40 on a watch for himself, but that's what he has me for to accessorize him with fancy watches. Only fair since he's spend a lot on watches for me. :)

Here is what I hope readers can chuckle about.

One of my recent Ebay watches arrived the other day and I could not activate the various timing features. Just could not push their buttons. So I sent the seller a message detailing my problem.

He just responded: "dear friend,sorry to tell you that this button is for decorations,No matter how,as a honest and resposible seller.If only our products don't satify you. We can refund 30% to you without any requirements. And you do not need to ship it back to us. What is your opinion?"

I laughed! Told him to forget about the refund. It cost $4.27 delivered. But geez, it sure looks expensive :D

Best story of the day!

BTW, I did find a Casio Protreck 2500 used on ebay for pretty cheap. It should be arriving within a week or so. Hopefully, with real and functioning buttons.

Wifey B, nothing wrong with cheap watches. Heck, I think it was Northern Spy who mentioned that he got a new Seiko 5 automatic recently. While not $40, you can get them for between $50-60 and have a quality mechanical watch to wear. You can then change bands to fit your needs.

OTOH, nothing wrong with looking at a cell phone to check the time.

Wifey B, nothing wrong with cheap watches. Heck, I think it was Northern Spy who mentioned that he got a new Seiko 5 automatic recently. While not $40, you can get them for between $50-60 and have a quality mechanical watch to wear. You can then change bands to fit your needs.

Wifey B: Nothing wrong with his watches he had, but I like to keep my hubby stylish. Now, when we go out on a real dress up occasion he still wears the first watch I ever got him. But casual, he now has a drawer full. Normally I pick out one for the day when I choose our outfits for the day. Have to coordinate our outfits. :hide:

Wifey B: Nothing wrong with his watches he had, but I like to keep my hubby stylish. Now, when we go out on a real dress up occasion he still wears the first watch I ever got him. But casual, he now has a drawer full. Normally I pick out one for the day when I choose our outfits for the day. Have to coordinate our outfits. :hide:

What pray tell is that watch???

WifeyB

I now know why you never had a kid, HubbyB is your kid. You dress him, clean him up and what else. LMAO

Back
Top Bottom