Need advice on re-fit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Lets see if this photo comes through. I needs ideas to make this aft door into the salon taller. Hitting my head because I can't remember to duck is getting old.

Sorry about the sideways pic. At least I got a pic up

Attachments

• IMG_3663.jpg
    IMG_3663.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
The forum seems to like "landscape" photos. "Portrait" not so much!

Attachments

• IMG_5013.JPG
    IMG_5013.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 92
Can you post a photo that shows the entire area around the companionway? Not sure what is above the door.

You might be able to put a "hatch" above the door that would be hinged on the forward edge and raise up on the aft edge and stay up when you are going in and out and the latch in the down position when you are off the boat. That way you might not have to modify the door itself.

It appears it's a two piece door. If the top door was angled toward the bow it would give more clearance.

I've seen many aft cabin boats with a single door and the top portion angled.

Is there enough head clearance on the lower inside corner? You might just be moving the impact point. I would put a small cushion where your head might hit. Otherwise hinging the top part frame is probably pretty simple (as per Comodave)

I am 6'1", and our camper door is 6' tall, but the cushion starts over the 1" aluminum frame.:banghead:

On our Chien Hwa, the previous owner made a nice toolbox underfoot at the helm. Not only does that prevent me from stepping up and out the 5' door, but I found out the hard way it makes me tall enough to head-butt the ceiling handrails. :facepalm:

If you don't remember to duck now, will you remember to flip open the new hatch? If you plan to open it all up in the morning and keep it that way all day, you will probably be fine (except for that first bump on the head in the morning) though.

Put a handhold on the stbd side and go down the stairs backwards.

This:

Attachments

• IMG_0151.PNG
    IMG_0151.PNG
    51.5 KB · Views: 154
You wouldn't have this problem in the first place if you didn't wear your heels on the boat! :rofl:

Ok guys, funny posts!! Actually made my night. I think FOG came up the winner on this. I really like the idea of an angled top door. Plenty of clearance for that. I wanted to avoid the hatch solution. I'm sure this will cost a bit of coin. Sigh.........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom