Stern Thruster??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptHondo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Loon
Vessel Make
1992 Grand Banks 32' Hull #855
Can anyone recommend a stern thruster that will fit a 2007 Mainship 400?

Ordered a SidePower but it is too large for the space.

Thanks!
Randy Hondros

captainhondo@gmail.com

I put an 8hp Sidepower in the stern of my President 41. I had lots of room under the aft cabin berth. But the berth does go all the way to the transom so that might be the difference. What part does not fit? I love my stern thruster. I was not able to put in a bow thruster due to the main water tank being in the way so a stern thruster was a good second choice.

Dickson Stern Thruster

My 1990 GB 32 has a Dickson hydraulic stern thruster. Prop unit bolts onto transom under swim step and only a couple of small hydraulic lines penetrate the transom. Rest of the unit (motor and resevoir, I think) can be anywhere in the ER, and the motor mounts on the engine up front. Works very well and because it is hydraulic there is no problem with running it for several minutes if necessary.

Dickson is located in Sacramento CA and is still in business as far as I know. Try Googleing them.

Good luck!
Oldersalt

"Just remember, everything on your boat is broken; you just don't know it yet."

The stern area in the laz on the Mainship 400 is tight.

WESMAR Stern Thruster

I have found the WESMAR thruster product line to be very good for my usage on one of my boats.

You might want to take a closer look at their line.

They have electric & hydraulic.

I have used them for a long time & are very durable.

I have a 13 HP - 24 volt electric as my stern thruster & it works great.

Reasonably compact & attached on back if transom - NO through hull tunnel needed. See picture below - it is the little sideways 10 inch Dia. pipe that is about 3 feet long under swim step as an example to show what it looks like installed.

good luck.

Alfa Mike

11002-albums620-picture3796.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a stern thruster that will fit a 2007 Mainship 400?

Ordered a SidePower but it is too large for the space.

Thanks!
Randy Hondros

captainhondo@gmail.com

A friend had a 2005 Mainship 400 with Sidepower bow and stern thrusters.

His was single engined, and due to space constraints he installed the stern thruster well off to one side of the centreline; I forget which side, although I think it was on the port side.

But he felt there was no noticeable difference in thrust either to port or to starboard.

With the full depth swim platform on my 390 a thruster would be exposed and present drag below the boat, or exposed to dingy damage from behind. Has anyone ever tried to port one side-to-side through the swim platform?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom