Sticky power cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
I know this one has to be in here some where, just can't find it. My 50amp power cord is sticky from one end to the other and all around. My bet is PO "cleaned" it using...?? Acetone maybe? It was something that was a no-no.
Exactly what I don't know. What is the right thing to use to clean a power cord in general and what should I use to de-stickify the thing now?

If anyone tells me Magic Eraser I swear I will start a "Which Anchor Is Best?" thread... :)

Gojo or Goop waterless hand cleaner and a fine scotch-brite pad is what I use. Mine went from throw away dirty to virtually new looking with a little hand rubbing time while drinking a few beers. There was no residual after wiping off with a dampened cloth after scrubbing.

Craig

I hate sticky. Sticky anything drives me crazy. I would try alcohol and if it didn't work, I'd drink the rest of the vodka, throw it away and buy a new one. Yes I know how expensive they are. LOL!

Seriously though I would try alcohol in a tiny spot.

If it's anything like a sticky dinghy floor it's pretty hopeless in my experience. I've tried everything I could think of with no success.

I've soaked mine in oxyclean overnight

I hate sticky. Sticky anything drives me crazy. I would try alcohol and if it didn't work, I'd drink the rest of the vodka, throw it away and buy a new one. Yes I know how expensive they are. LOL!

Seriously though I would try alcohol in a tiny spot.

I'm with you. I hate sticky. I don't eat oranges because they leave your hands sticky.

I hate dirty, I hate sticky....but I hate buying 75' of 50A power cord even more! I'll try Donna's Vodka Solution. Any particular brand? :) Why do I already know that Donna doesn't drink cheap vodka?

I'm with you. I hate sticky. I don't eat oranges because they leave your hands sticky.

The entire State of Florida is yelling BLASPHEMY! at you.....I can hear them outside right now...

Greetings,
Mr. fb. Also suggest the GoJo. As to Mr. hm's sticky dinghy floor. How about simply wearing shoes and....oh....

200.gif

I hate dirty, I hate sticky....but I hate buying 75' of 50A power cord even more! I'll try Donna's Vodka Solution. Any particular brand? :) Why do I already know that Donna doesn't drink cheap vodka?

Grey Goose but on the power cord try the really cheap stuff. Rubbing alcohol. Just don't drink it. :lol:

Thanks for the tips. I'll give Donna's Rubbing Alcohol a try.

I wish someone had mentioned to me that I shouldn't drink it a few years ago. That probably explains some things....

spray paint, perhaps vinyl top paint because I think it has additives to make it more flexible but any spray paint would probably work.. Never latex, you want a solvent that is compatible. The hot solvent in spray paint should be. Try a small section and see what happens. Don't build up too thick.

Last edited:
I think by the time I cleaned and degreased it, spent the money for that special flexible plastic paint, laid it out so I could paint all 75' I would wish I just left it alone or bought a new one! I have been searching and see that the sticky may not be the result of a previous cleaning attempt but "uncured plasticizer" that could be a sign of a cheaply made cable. And what do they say to use to try to clean? Yep, acetone. I will give all of the above a shot and see which, if any, works. Seems the others that have this same issue say that it keeps coming back until all of the plasticizer is exuded. The things you learn when you ask what appears to be a simple question....!! I did stop drinking Rubbing Alcohol as a result of this thread and my wife says she can already tell a difference.

Plasticizer oozing out of the cheap PVC coating. It's what makes the otherwise hard pvc coating flexible. That's how a chem-e described it to me. Not the result of some cleaning attempt.

Plasticizer oozing out of the cheap PVC coating. It's what makes the otherwise hard pvc coating flexible. That's how a chem-e described it to me. Not the result of some cleaning attempt.

In that case Acetone or Toluene might get rid of the "sticky"?

Firstbase nailed it, cheap cord!
If you can get it clean, try a vinyl protectant product with uv inhibitors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom