Startron gas additive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jleonard

Guru
I am not normally big on additives other than to stabilize today's crap gas.
However, last weekend Startron saved my bacon...well actually saved my 15 hp 2 cycle Yamaha dinghy engine.
She was running great then suddenly when we were leaving a friends boat, it would not stay running at idle long enough to put it in gear. It would not take the fuel when I tried to rev it a bit in neutral. Just sputtered and died.
I finally got it to shift into gear and we went back to our boat but it would not idle.
I took the on engine filter out and it was clear (I also use a generic in line filter in the fuel line).
Thinking it was a idle circuit jet that was clogged I needed some carb cleaner or something to attempt to clean it out. I didn't have any on board.
Since it was cocktail hour (that we arranged) we got her running again after several attempts and made it back to our friend's boat.
A couple of wines later we started diagnosing my problem. Both friends immediately said "dose it with Startron".
Ok so they had some, gave (loaned) me a 8 ounce bottle and I dumped most of it into approx. 5 gallons of 2 cycle mix. (bottle says overdose is ok)
Fired it up and almost immediately it cleared Ran it around the anchorage for a few minutes at close to wot and once again runs like a champ.
Maybe they hooked another sucker, but I know I'm sold on it.
"Startron in every tank" is my new policy.

Should have added Marvel Mystery Oil too.

Art will chime in that you are one of the chosen, enlightened ones now.... :)

I used to use Startron when I had a gasoline powered boat. I had no fuel issues but that's not proof that Startron prevented issues or not.

Your experience is purely anecdotal and proves nothing. It doesn't disprove anything either.

Something else to buy!

I personally prefer the proven " Trawler Forum gun oil" treatment I'm now totally convinced I'm getting more HP at same RPM and travel faster at the same RPM.

PS : : 15 hp 2 cycle Yamaha ? Id say you had a sticky reed valve ;)

"Should have added Marvel Mystery Oil too."

Make your own, MMO is #1 diesel with oil of wintergreen to change the smell.

I never believed in Startron either until...
We used to own a small Yamaha 2.5hp 4-stroke for powering our Trinka dinghy. I swear that all it took was refilling that engine with ethanol gasoline on a damp day to introduce enough water vapor to the fuel to make it run badly. At the time I was a Vespa scooter dealer and when things were busy I would help in the shop. One of my mechanics introduced me to the Startron and told me that it was a miracle solution for the small engines.
Of course I ignored his advice until, at whits end, I decided to try it.
All I can say is Wow!
It will not fix a truly fouled carburetor where the jets have plugged but it will certainly help move the small water molecules that are part of life with ethanol fuel through the tiny passages of a small 4 strokes jets.
It should be part of every persons fuel cocktail. Especially with the smallest displacement engines.
I am not surprised by the report of helping the 15 hp run again.
Bruce

You guys must like making me spend my money! I get some on board.

You guys must like making me spend my money! I get some on board.

Of course I would advocate for good gasoline storage discipline first. There is no need to treat fuel, especially with a larger 2-stroke engine unless you need it for a problem. All 2-stroke TCW-3 oil has fuel stabilizer included in the mix so for the most part that is sufficient. 4-cycle engines can benefit by the addition of fuelmstabilizer if the fuel will be sitting for any length of time so I always give my fuel a dose of some kind of stabilizer. The Startron actually works to move water molecules through the jets of the carburetor so unless you have an abundance of water, there should be no need for most outboards. The exception is the smallest 4-stroke engines. The jets are so microscopic that they are simply overwhelmed by even the smallest amount of water.
When we were in the Pacific Northwest we saw non ethanol fuel for sale at marinas. This would be my first choice always as 99% of the issues are caused by ethanol. Here in RI we can only get ethanol oxygenated fuel so...
Bruce

I can get fuel that hasn't been adulterated with ethanol in my area (at a premium) so I would think it would be available in most places if you look hard enough. I only need it for my dinghy motor so I'm buying a gallon at a time. I treat it with Startron as soon as I buy it.

I started having trouble with my Honda 2 HP 4 stroke so I took it to the dealer for service. After charging me way too much to replace the carburetor, the owner did come out and tell me that if I closed the fuel valve and ran the motor until it quit from fuel starvation, I would never have to come back. I do that now.

Good thread...

Might have to try some Startron.

I've been using StaBil for years, without a problem. And before I started using it, I did have problems.

One can search the Startron vs StaBil, and seems like Startron is the more popular product.

I'll use Seafoam about once a year for injectors.... no problems.

My main reason for an additive in gas is for longevity. Gas degrades over time.

For my little toys, pressure washer, Honda Generator, muck pump.... I use aviation 100LL, which does not degrade over time, and over the years has worked quite well. Might try that in my outboard.

In Florida many gas stations near a boating place like a ramp sell non ethanol fuel and I buy a 5 gall container and fill my gasoline vehicle at the same time.

In Florida many gas stations near a boating place like a ramp sell non ethanol fuel and I buy a 5 gall container and fill my gasoline vehicle at the same time.

Wawa sells non ethanol.

I wish our government would eliminate ethanol gas, then non ethanol would be just a cheap. There is no longer a gas shortage. We should be eating our corn, not burning it.

I agree. The crap is bad that's why one of my vehicles is Diesel.

We get rainwater in the small boat gas tank all the time. The 30 year old merc crapped out once. I drained the fuel/water separator/filter and re-primed. now it runs like a top!

no star-tron, MMO, or snake oil needed. Keep the krud out in the first place.

We get rainwater in the small boat gas tank all the time. The 30 year old merc crapped out once. I drained the fuel/water separator/filter and re-primed. now it runs like a top!

no star-tron, MMO, or snake oil needed. Keep the krud out in the first place.

Gabe,

Good plan, but what do you do for longevity, or if the gas pumps have water?

Back
Top Bottom