Electric Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First heard. but... apparently it's diesel-electric (925 gallons of diesel), not just electric... I'm surprised no mention of solar augmentation... a 9-year Torqueedo warranty doesn't seem all that reassuring.

Otherwise, seems quite feasible, assuming the engineering matches the marketing... and assuming cost is in line with product.

-Chris

The electric trawler in this thread is really a diesel / electric hybrid. I've spent a fair bit of time considering the pros & cons of diesel / electric hybrid boat drive systems. For some operational profiles it almost makes sense. When the operational profile is a mix of high and low power rquirements yet have engines running 24 X 7. A harbor assit tug is a good example. For loitering in the harbor all that is needed is power for maneuvering and light running. As the gen sets charge up the batts the system switches to all electric. When full power is needed the system goes into diesel electric drive. Foss maritime developed and deployed such a system. I don't know how well it has worked out for them.

Cruising yachts, especially trawlers don't fit that operational profile well. We get underway, cruise at a moderate load for a relatively short time compared to a work boat. Then we shut down. We'd deplete our batteries quickly then be on diesel electric the rest of the run. We'd then need to run the big gens to recharge after reaching dock or anchorage.

And there is the overhead of big heavy batteries, controllers and get-home systems.

3gallons/hr. 2500 miles range I get if I pull a small tank behind me.If designer will put 925gallons in my boat, I will get 3500 miles range. If they make electric/hybrid that will make 2500 on 250gallons tank, I will be interested.

There is a thread somewhere on the forum about one who built a diesel-electric trawler starting from a grand banks, it was interesting.

L.

Greenline has done more with hybrids than any other boat builder.

Hybrid — Greenline Yachts

They build from 33' to 70' and are very popular in Europe. They sold over 300 of the 33' the first three years they built it. Nice boat. On electric it cruises at 4 knots for a range of 20 nm. WOT is 5.5 knots. On diesel, depending on engine chosen, max speed is 12 to 18 knots and range up to 700 nm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom