Mainship 34 DIY/tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrwesson

Vessel Make
1979 Mainship 34
Just figured we could get some common "modifications" to the boat.

Have the old engine hatches that are shaped like a shoe box?

Im going to drill a hole and "inject" the hatch with insulating foam. Heat builds running the Genset and engine at cruise(FL Heat/Need A/C). Should help cool things off and make it even quieter in the saloon.

Heat build up in the forward salon? If you have a bug screen you can put a foam project panel from home depot inside the screen in the forward hatch and reattach fits like a glove and helps alot.
8e56912a-e7be-40d7-9a92-09ae16c386e5_1000.jpg

A portable A/C(notice a theme here :lol:) fits perfectly under the v-berth insert but does block a drawer.
ZLD0i8ul.jpg

Spend alot of time at the lower helm and vertically challenged and don't have a helm seat? Make one out of 2x4's. I did it with basic tools in an afternoon.
how-to-build-bar-stools.jpg

How to Make Bar Stools

Run out of water on the hook? I added a 50 gallon water tank, installed it in my rear "box". I fill it up through a hose through the top and have a barb on the bottom for gravity filling my onboard tank when it runs dry. I don't use it much as a day tripper but it works for now. It's under the dog :)
NQUJVzil.jpg

This one isn't done but its also related to staying cool. I have a patio mister like this one.
81cMYOJQPCL._SL1000_.jpg
It works okay but felt a bit flimsy so I ordered the nozzles which are 10/24 thread, thread pvc pipe with a 10/24 bit, screw in nozzles, cap the end and add a hose attachment. The limit is your imagination. I'm going to use my raw washdown when away from the marina and a separate hose at the dock(don't want marina water misting me :ermm:).

Link to the nozzles https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K40RFFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to mister(don't use the clips they arent stainless) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0KSXO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's all I can think of right now.

Greetings,
Mr. Mr. Nice mods. I'm particularly tempted by the mister although I don't know if I'd be amenable to being cool and salted...

MrWesson, We're always on the lookout of vintage Mainship mods, Thanks!

RT I'm with you; a salt mister might not be as refreshing as a freshwater one but I've been known to sit in the cockpit with a washdown hose blasting over my head on hot days. For me, salt water trumps sweat any day!

Greetings,
Mr. Mr. Nice mods. I'm particularly tempted by the mister although I don't know if I'd be amenable to being cool and salted...

MrWesson, We're always on the lookout of vintage Mainship mods, Thanks!

RT I'm with you; a salt mister might not be as refreshing as a freshwater one but I've been known to sit in the cockpit with a washdown hose blasting over my head on hot days. For me, salt water trumps sweat any day!

If you have plenty of onboard water then no need to use a washdown. I'm limited for now but plan on adding more water for extended trips.

I also haven't tried it with the onboard water to see how much the mister uses but I suspect it doesn't use much if your connections are tight. As of now i've only used it at the dock which has fresh water.

Given the choice i'll deal with the salt water though.

My smaller boat needed work and I started late(8:30am) and had to be back in the house at 10:15 because I was feeling sick due to the heat.

Most minds will jump to someone being older and needing to stay out of the heat but I'm 32 :lol:. The heat doesn't care if you're young or old it will make you sick all the same.

I'm with you on the heat getting you down! I've had at least a half dozen bouts with severe heat exhaustion & heat stroke (yes I guess I'm a slow learner) & now I can't even sit in the sun without getting woozy. This is coming from someone who used to LOVE spending all day in the sun; I couldn't get enough of it.

V Berth insert??? Could you post a picture please. Mine doesnt have one and i was pondering adding one to make the bottom bunk more usable for 2.. There isnt even a ledge to suggest one.

V Berth insert??? Could you post a picture please. Mine doesnt have one and i was pondering adding one to make the bottom bunk more usable for 2.. There isnt even a ledge to suggest one.

No pictures unfortunately. I noticed some earlier mainships are designed with an insert making a flat bed and another design with bunk style.

The engine hatches on my MK1 were hollow and adding some insulation(fire resistant foam) significantly reduced engine noise.

The new mainship 34's have a really nice couch that pulls out into a bed. I was lucky to find an owner who'd prefer chairs and it fits nicely(through this forum I might add).
XN4GzjWm.jpg

These lights can be had for $50 per 5 pack on amazon and fit in place of the originals. They are Led and with decent build quality. Not going to match lights sold by defender but they hold up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733RQDXL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tbt89vAl.jpg

Clamp on rod holders are nice for fishing and I regularly use them to grab on something when getting out of the dink.
OnipWm9m.jpg

Not mainship specific but I've had really good results on my smaller boats using thick porch paint in place of non skid Kiwigrip. It holds up really well and can be tinted in any color. Very tough. Behr Textured Deckover BEHR PREMIUM Textured DECKOVER® Coating | Behr
JI70lBKl.jpg

RkJCz0Ul.jpg

Working on insulating the rest of the boat for summer and will report back with what I come up with.

Back
Top Bottom