Newbie to Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjmarchand

Vessel Name
Lefty G
I've owned a boat for 10 years now but am thinking hard about entering the trawler world. Need to figure out how to balance family cruising from Cape Cod and pelagic fishing in a trawler! Any and all advice is appreciated! Happy 4th!

Welcome to the forum! You will find a number of members who fish from their boats.

Ted

Depends how far off shore, the time constraints, and creature comforts. Trawler tend to be full semi displacement, 6 to 15 knots, but tend to have more creature comforts. More detail would be helpful.

Depends how far off shore, the time constraints, and creature comforts. Trawler tend to be full semi displacement, 6 to 15 knots, but tend to have more creature comforts. More detail would be helpful.
Creature comforts are good and probably are more important in the end but I'd like to have the option of some serious fishing. This means no aft cabin, easy maintenance aft and likely a flybridge. From Cape Cod, reaching the Canyons to fish (48 hour trip) 2 or 3 times a year, cruising to Maine once a year, and maybe cruising to OBX once a year. Otherwise docked and used for an office, weekend retreat, and day dreaming.

I really like the Tollycraft 44 aft cockpit, plenty of room to fish.

Welcome to TF

My oa 456 Clasdico has a rear cockpit in which the previous owner installed a fighting chair. I also have plugs for four electric reels. What I dont have is a way to ice down a significant catch.

Gordon

Here's how one owner decided he would modify his trawler for fishing. :D:D

Attachments

• DSC02502 (Small).JPG
    DSC02502 (Small).JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 119
A Hatteras extended cockpit motor yacht would have the aft cabin layout along with an adequate fishing cockpit. Need to find one that is stabilized.

Here's how one owner decided he would modify his trawler for fishing. :D:D

That's a pretty cool cabin truncation! Also down under? Your's is also an interesting boat. Center cockpit? Aft cabin? Got some pics?

Last edited:
Welcome aboard TF
gjm...
Any any relation to djmarchand?
Another valued TF contributor

Hatteras Yachtfisher. The 58 is a 53 motor yacht with a cockpit, you can run at 9mph hull speed for 1mpg or get up on plane at 50gph! Yachtworld has several from $99k and up, depending on how handy you might be.......

Welcome aboard TF
gjm...
Any any relation to djmarchand?
Another valued TF contributor
I don't think so....but one never knows! Most if the boating interest comes from the other side of the family! Thanks for the welcome!

Hatteras Yachtfisher. The 58 is a 53 motor yacht with a cockpit, you can run at 9mph hull speed for 1mpg or get up on plane at 50gph! Yachtworld has several from $99k and up, depending on how handy you might be.......
I'm pretty handy...esoecially when properly motivated! I'll have to check those out!

Welcome to group OP. Im slipped in Marina Bay (Quincy) but have been boating in Buzzards Bay for the past 2 years.

I just sold my planing boat now in the process of buying my first trawler.

Good luck with your search!

Welcome to group OP. Im slipped in Marina Bay (Quincy) but have been boating in Buzzards Bay for the past 2 years.

I just sold my planing boat now in the process of buying my first trawler.

Good luck with your search!
Thank you! Was just in the Bahamas and fell in love with a Nordhavn. Let me know what you end up with!

A Hatteras extended cockpit motor yacht would have the aft cabin layout along with an adequate fishing cockpit. Need to find one that is stabilized.

We have a couple of those in our marina. A very practical design, and nice looking.

What make trawler is in the photo? I like the way it looks.
Thanks,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom