View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
PNW Jeff
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Mold -- Is it as bad as they say?

Hey Everyone,

My wife and I are serious about becoming live-aboards (we're in Seattle), and as part of the process we just spent 3 nights living on an older Grand Banks 42 to "test out" the space and the lifestyle. Overall, we LOVED the experience and it got us even more excited to find & purchase our perfect boat.

With that said, my #1 concern is mold. I've heard it can be pervasive on boats and very difficult to keep at bay, and my wife has mold allergies. She seemed to have some minor allergy reactions (primarily in the mornings) on the boat we just stayed on. Not sure if it was the bed, or just the boat in general.

Anyway, I've been doing a ton of reading on how to keep mold in check on a boat. From what I've read, keeping the boat heated to 70 degrees, running a dehumidifier to keep humidity under 50%, and allowing for proper ventilation (fans to move air and windows / hatches open when possible) seem to be the most common suggestions. All of which seem doable.

So, my questions to you all are...

1) Based on your experiences, is mold impossible to keep in check, or is it fairly easy if the proper measures are taken?

2) Does anyone here have allergies to mold and live on a boat without issue?

3) How difficult is it to keep mold clean in hard to reach areas? I'm not concerned about things like windows or areas with easy / obvious access. But, how does one deal with mold in more difficult areas to access?

4) Will a good survey typically be expected to look for and notate mold issues?

Thanks in advance for the answers and feedback!

Cheers,
- Jeff
PNW Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote