Thread: Overheating 101
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
firstbase
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Yes, quite the rebel. At least that what all my sailboat friends say...! I would think that running WOT for 15 minutes every 50 hours or so would be an ok thing to do. Not so much for cleaning out cylinders and all that but to check cooling just like I did? No? I think I read that these engines have little need for high RPM "cleaning out"?

Thanks for the tip on the zinc install. I just wrenched them in never thinking about the solder seal (saying it like he actually knew anything about a solder seal). Also was SO proud to change the impellers all on my own just like a big boy I didn't think about needing to open up heat exchanger to check as nothing seemed amiss. Or aMrs. Either way. Now that I am learning a bit more I see the need to go back and look at several things no matter how pretty they are on the outside.

Going to hijack my own thread but the other thing I am trying to fix is the dipstick accuracy on my engines. I believe that the angle of the engines leads to the oil showing as low when it really isn't. Will mark it accurately when I change the oil in another 50 hours or so but for now I am showing this level on the pic. Both engines the same. Is this an adequate level for operation on the FL 135's? It seems you have the same ones maybe? Thanks for the comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Level.jpg  
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote