What's your favorite online marine store for odds and ends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
I'm always on the lookout for an off the wall online store that stocks quality products. I'm talking about the kind of stuff you can't just order from Flounder Pounder, West Marine or Defender or any of the usual haunts.

So I thought I'd start a thread where we could post a link to your favorite place and give a short blurb about what they carry.

Here's one that I've bought a few things from. The service is always excellent, the products are well made and they're fast on their shipping. So, if you're looking for stuff made of plastic, here's a great place to shop:

SSI Custom Plastics. They have all kinds of odds and ends drawers, drink holders, and just about everything else you could want that is made out of plastic. Got a bit of wasted space behind that panel in your cockpit? They probably have a box you can fit in there to give you more storage.

BTW, the usual disclaimers apply. I have zero affiliation with them other than being a satisfied customer from years back.

https://ssicustomplastics.com/products/

So what's your favorite online shopping place?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hodges Marine out of Florida has some good prices and great service.

I learned that no one source is the most inexpensive. Sometimes even local stores are cheaper.

I resort to google shopping, search the stores and prices and go from there. Depending on the order , it may sway me to a higher price if I think a return, warranty or other issue may come up.

Amazon Prime. Surprisingly they have everything that can be shipped UPS that Defender or WM has and it is almost always cheaper.

David

I like supporting the local store so I visit Hopkins Carter (Parks Masterson) for great prices and great service, I'm going there tomorrow like for the past fifty years.

+1 for Parks and Hopkins Carter. I hope the store and service stay the same since it was sold.

I learned that no one source is the most inexpensive. Sometimes even local stores are cheaper.

I resort to google shopping, search the stores and prices and go from there. Depending on the order , it may sway me to a higher price if I think a return, warranty or other issue may come up.

Another vote for Hodges Marine, great service and prices. I've also gotten some great pricing on select items from Great Lakes Skipper.

Hamilton Marine in Maine, Defender in CT, and eBay. Even the boatyards here will beat West's prices when they order something for you if you pay when you order.

In the spirit of the OP request, I offer the following:

Depco Pump for all things pump-related and a bit more. It is not a click to buy e-commerce site, you get a virtual print catalog and then call and talk to someone who expertly knows what they are talking about. That "Old School" level of knowledgeable service everyone likes to complain is missing from today's world. Catalogs - Depco Pump Company

Deep Blue Yacht Supply for all below-the-waterline needs. https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/
Great service, high quality goods, and someone knowledgeable there to talk to you if you need it.

Sam's Marine for Hatteras owners. One of the big reasons to buy a Hatteras. Like Depco in that you look up what you want but really end up just calling and talking to an expert. Great source for many non-Hatteras specific items, such as second hand props. Sam's Marine International

One more in the old school "you have to talk to someone" , Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass. you can look at the online catalog, but I suggest you just pass Go and call them for any related need... they are very helpful and knowledgeable.

MarineBeam for lighting needs and miscellaneous cool boat stuff. High quality, they know boats, and good service. Marine Grade LED Lights for Your Boat | Marinebeam

Sailorman for the obscure and who-knows-what. Site isn't back up until Wednesday. Not as good as an in-store visit, but worth a try when you're stumped or bored. http://sailorman.com/

I have a few more, but those are some not-so-mainstream sources that come immediately to mind. Sailrite, Scalise Marine, CG Edwards are a few others worth your time for specialized marine needs.

I buy all my anodes both engine and running gear from boatzincs.com. They are fast and reasonable. Tell them your engine model and they'll put a set together for you.

Sailerman is a great source fur used item like anchors, chain and many old parts, they have saved me many times.

Jamestown Distributers has worked for quantity and heavy stuff. They have VIP shipping for $60/year. When we priced bottom paint it paid for the year with no tax.

Fisheries Supply, great selection, knowledge and service. Decent prices too.
iBoat for paint, best prices I've found and great service.

Up here in Canada my favorite is http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/ a Kingston based shop.
They have a lot of things in stock, a great customer service and if you need something not in the catalog you ask them and they quote you the part right away. Their prices are matching US prices which is quite surprising up here and shipping is quick and much more important to me, very well packaged!
Anyway no interest in them but for 2 year now always had good experience with them.

L.

Amazon Prime. Surprisingly they have everything that can be shipped UPS that Defender or WM has and it is almost always cheaper.

David

Agree. We order almost everything through Amazon and have it shipped directly to whatever marina we expect to be at for a couple of days. Free shipping and usually second day delivery. Easy. About a only stuff you can't get through Amazon are WM branded products.

Paul

Last edited:
Very timely post. West Marine's stock was up 33% today on the news that they're being purchased by a private equity firm.

And now I see that HeadMistress already posted this. Never mind. (I didn't buy WM stock either...behind the curve.

For unusual pump rebuilds, call these guys- Flying Dutchman rebuilders:

Home

Years ago, I needed a circ pump for my Mitsubishi diesel. The local rep, Blue Ridge Diesel, quoted me 8000 shipped.

Tony at Flying Dutchman in 1 day- total cost $100.00!

Up here in Canada my favorite is http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/ a Kingston based shop.
They have a lot of things in stock, a great customer service and if you need something not in the catalog you ask them and they quote you the part right away. Their prices are matching US prices which is quite surprising up here and shipping is quick and much more important to me, very well packaged!
Anyway no interest in them but for 2 year now always had good experience with them.

L.

I agree Lou, I have used Marineoutfitters.ca many times and where their prices were higher I have called them and they will usually match. They are limited however and find a far greater variety from the US in which case I go to Greatlakesskipper.com for good prices and delivery. They ship USPS cheaply but more importantly there is no border clearing fees that UPS and others charge which can be significant. :thumb:

I like supporting the local store so I visit Hopkins Carter (Parks Masterson) for great prices and great service, I'm going there tomorrow like for the past fifty years.

Hop Car is great. I always prefer working with a known entity when ordering tricky stuff. I've never been unhappy with Gallery Marine out of Seattle for engine and genset mechanicals.

The local yards in Sidney are top notch for anything marine with very smart order desks. We prefer to support the local Sidney BC stores for most smaller stuff. Fuel and oil we get in the US. Yada yada, so many choices.

Same with me.

Agreed! Parks is the guy. :thumb:

I of course also shop other venue for general items. However... When needing guidance on unusual/classic marine parts and at good prices too... Parks Masterson of Hopkins Carter is great to contact.

With today's connection/shipping capabilities a few thousand miles distance is no problem at all. :D

I was in Hopkins Carter today, same store same employees, same great service. Being Saturday Parks was playing hookie. ��

I was in Hopkins Carter today, same store same employees, same great service. Being Saturday Parks was playing hookie. ��
I hate to tell you this but Parks plays hooky everyday now.

He took the Golden Handshake and retired

I hate to tell you this but Parks plays hooky everyday now.

He took the Golden Handshake and retired

Oh Great! My 1977 Tolly is weeping! :cry:

Congrats Parks... Enjoy!! :thumb: :D

PS: Parks, do you have a name there we could/should ask for??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom