View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #83
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Well, this is unfortunate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I can't tell....either I am super inpressed he can tell all that from a partial boroscope inspection....or he just is doomsday scenario guessing....and moving on....at least to you benefit.

For an engine that just started to dilute the oil, probably far from WOT during the short occurance and it still had 10 psi oil pressure....I am amazed at the possible damage outlined.

He is the mechanic, but.....usually takes more teardown to pronunce the engine all but dead.

Anyone want a stab at why the jnjectors would be damaged?....or he could see damage in the combustion chamber other than scuffing from less lubricity? That has me scratching my head.

I agree with you that he is rendering more of a guess than a determination with certainty. And I didn't hear if he identified the source of the fuel contamination? But either way it's pretty hard to see blame falling anywhere other than cummins since they are behind both the service and the parts.

Perhaps they have learned that it's better to just deal with problems like this rather than create an angry customer for life, and a boat where they get called back for everything that goes wrong with blame placed on the original issue.

And internally, the service manager can blame it on the mechanic whom has likely been fired, and let the whole event fade into the corporate cloud as an unfortunate accident.