8 Knots - Are you kidding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Photos Wifey... Photos... Please!!

WifeyB

Sounds like a great trip, well except for the zoo on the catamaran, Spain has great food and wine but going too fast you miss the relaxing Spanish life style.

Are you planning on shipping your boat over for the season or will you rent a yacht?

Enjoy.

Wifey B: We have no idea. Our plans to this point have been to cross and then keep a boat there a couple of years. Plans could change and become buying a boat there or something. Could ship but one day we do want to cross the Atlantic. We could charter but I don't think we'll choose that option.

We've enjoyed the relaxing Spanish life style. We've been relaxed. We never feel the speed at which we're moving that others observe. Today has been leisurely, time ashore in each location we've been to. A fast boat made time for other things possible. Traveling on the water is always relaxing, just wish we could have taken the helm. I so wanted to drive that boat.

We figure just the Mediterranean countries would take two seasons because of Schengen limitations. 90 days in a Schengen country, then 90 out routine.

Yeah the catamaran think was freaky. I don't mind at all being on a boat with my minimally clad friends, but being crowded onto a boat with a lot of stranger bikini's and trunks and drunks, no thanks.

We've enjoyed the great food. Haven't had any of the wine yet. Don't know if we will one evening or not. Bottled water, flat, please. :) That's our standard order and they just stare in shock. :lol:

WifeyB

Well at least your suffering through all this. LOL

Greetings,
Uh-oh...."Spain is just a start." I suspect a round of world exploration is on the menu.

200.gif

WifeyB

Well at least your suffering through all this. LOL

Wifey B: Yes, we're out in the garden, strolling some, relaxing. Waiting to go to bed. Turning down dessert offered. This place is unbelievable. The disappointment of the owner's life though is that neither his daughter nor his granddaughter wants to return to live here. His daughter did for a while after her husband died but she wasn't happy, just not what she wants.

Many times kids want to strike off on their own without the influence of their parents, other kids want to live with their parents until the kids reach SS age. :banghead:

Hi,

I went from a Baja 322 to a Mainship 34 pilot. Which translates to going 70mph to 16mph. This is my first season with the new boat. Do I miss the speed, sure, but I had 12 people aboard for a short cruise last week and we could carry on a conversation and didn't need sippy cups for our drinks.

Hi,

I went from a Baja 322 to a Mainship 34 pilot. Which translates to going 70mph to 16mph. This is my first season with the new boat. Do I miss the speed, sure, but I had 12 people aboard for a short cruise last week and we could carry on a conversation and didn't need sippy cups for our drinks.

Oh for the days when Bucyrus, Ohio was brimming with the competition between Baja and Checkmate. I miss seeing the water filled with them. Those were the days. We are going to have a fast boat again one of these days.

Oh for the days when Bucyrus, Ohio was brimming with the competition between Baja and Checkmate. I miss seeing the water filled with them. Those were the days. We are going to have a fast boat again one of these days.

My buddy recently sold his <100 mph 27' Fountain. That baby was fun! Drank gasoline like I eat chocolate... too damn fast and often way too much! :lol:

Drank gasoline like I eat chocolate... too damn fast and often way too much! :lol:

LOL!:rofl: Man Art, I am going to steal this one! :thumb::smitten:

Al-Ketchikan

Speed is relative. Relative to how much money you have. I'll go slow.

Generally you can go far or you can go fast, but you can't go far fast.

My buddy recently sold his <100 mph 27' Fountain. That baby was fun! Drank gasoline like I eat chocolate... too damn fast and often way too much! :lol:

Wifey B: We once went for a ride on a 94 mph v-drive Rayson Craft. There were three on the lake and they all started at about 70 mph, then got into a contest to be the fastest after the first one took his to Holman Moody in Charlotte, which was once a big Nascar team and engine builder and still builds racing engines and cars. A little scary as it really didn't have much control at those speeds as there wasn't much in the water. They were nice boats at 70 mph but not so much at 90+. They couldn't even use engine covers. Plus the hulls were so thin and lightweight that the smallest anything would damage them so they were in the shop for hull repair about every three or four times they were used. The guys had their kicks and then wanted to sell them. :oops::censored::speed boat: No market for such a boat. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

So, I like 60 to 70 mph. Our boat ran 60 mph but 90 mph, I don't think so. :rolleyes:

I want a boat that will run 55-60 knots and cruise at 45-50 knots. :D :hide:

Wifey B: We once went for a ride on a 94 mph v-drive Rayson Craft. There were three on the lake and they all started at about 70 mph, then got into a contest to be the fastest after the first one took his to Holman Moody in Charlotte, which was once a big Nascar team and engine builder and still builds racing engines and cars. A little scary as it really didn't have much control at those speeds as there wasn't much in the water. They were nice boats at 70 mph but not so much at 90+. They couldn't even use engine covers. Plus the hulls were so thin and lightweight that the smallest anything would damage them so they were in the shop for hull repair about every three or four times they were used. The guys had their kicks and then wanted to sell them. :oops::censored::speed boat: No market for such a boat. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

So, I like 60 to 70 mph. Our boat ran 60 mph but 90 mph, I don't think so. :rolleyes:

I want a boat that will run 55-60 knots and cruise at 45-50 knots. :D :hide:

> > "I want a boat that will run 55-60 knots and cruise at 45-50 knots" - That's good speed for a quick boat.

> > "They were nice boats at 70 mph but not so much at 90+" - I went on a few rides with John. Only once did he surpass 90 mph. Boat was squirrelly as heck in the water at that speed. John builds all his own engines for boats and race cars. Quite the accomplished race engine mechanic!

> > "No market for such a boat." - That's correct!! John spent two years before getting it sold. Started in the low $40K's. Then dropped to Mid $30K's. Then high $20's Then mid $20's; held it there for some time. Eventually it sold, but I'm not sure how low he had to go. I'd bet $20K or just below got the deal done. :thumb:

Only once did he surpass 90 mph. Boat was squirrelly as heck in the water at that speed.

Wifey B: That's the word I needed....and very squirrely:eek:

One of the dealerships on the lake once had a racing boat in their showroom of some sort supposed to run 120-130 mph, but illegal to run except in races or official practice sessions. No one knew of it ever actually winning a race either. :rolleyes:

Generally you can go far or you can go fast, but you can't go far fast.

I found that by towing a larger fast RIB you could get just about all the speed you want from the RIB and a larger boat to easily stay on with the base boat.

With our 34' Tolly tri cabin, whenever we go out n' about, we nearly always tow our quick little o/b runabout. She cruises all day at 25 to 30 knots and can stay WOT for long as desired doing 39 knots. Lots o' fun going places and doing things while our Tolly remains anchored as home base! :thumb:

Two boats are very often better than one! :D :popcorn:

:speed boat::speed boat:

Last edited:
Life begins @ 6 knots

Attachments

• [000064].jpg
    [000064].jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 78
  • [000065].jpg
    [000065].jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 85
  • PA080123.JPG
    PA080123.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 2_7halfKnots_814_1.jpg
    2_7halfKnots_814_1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00513.jpg
    DSC00513.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I would imagine a boat getting "squirrelly" at 90 mph must be a near death experience. No thank you.

I would imagine a boat getting "squirrelly" at 90 mph must be a near death experience. No thank you.

Wifey B: Especially not when it's something like an 18' boat or something which without the engine weighs maybe 1000 pounds. :) I'm fine with 60-70 mph tops. :blush:

When I wanna enjoy my time, look at the scenery, be in seclude places alone, and watch mother nature in all her splendor, I have a boat. When I want to go fast and have sensations of speed I have car. Perfect balance.

L.

When I wanna enjoy my time, look at the scenery, be in seclude places alone, and watch mother nature in all her splendor, I have a boat. When I want to go fast and have sensations of speed I have car. Perfect balance.

L.

Wifey B: Boats are a lot more fun to run fast than cars. Well, cars would be, but they have speed limits on the roads and I'm a good girl. :)

I had a custom flats boat made with Airex, 16 feet with a 90 two stroke, fast little boat but around the high 40s she would chine walk which was OK in flat calm water but that wasn't often. I gave it to my son who fished with me often so he knew the boat well, he loves it but he is younger. LOL

Wifey B: Especially not when it's something like an 18' boat or something which without the engine weighs maybe 1000 pounds. :) I'm fine with 60-70 mph tops. :blush:

John's near 100 mph top end Fountain brand speed boat was 27', quite heavy and very stable at most speeds. However ,at 90 mph plus even that heavy duty really cool and comfortable speed boat was ready to fly! And... flying boats can kill!! :facepalm:

Wifey B: Boats are a lot more fun to run fast than cars. Well, cars would be, but they have speed limits on the roads and I'm a good girl. :)

Hum sorry I do not agree, you may try to drive a fast car on a road in the middle of the alps mountains or on track, you will see what sensations means :)

L.

You want fast, fly 10 feet above the boat doing 90 at 200 knts, zoom climb to 1000 feet and barrel roll.

Trying to hit smugglers in the head with landing gear was also kinda fun. :).....took more skill....

Well... you may be a good girl on traffic filled roads in general... but, having read many of your posts... I'm not believing for a minute - that same "good girl" exists on roads that are vacant of traffic! :lol:

Sooo.... I am a good boy on roads when there is traffic... but... when no traffic exists, my 1967 Wildcat's recently professionally rebuilt factory stat 430 cid, 360 hp. 500 ft. lbs. torque muscle car engine loves to be let loose and simply GO!!! :thumb:

149 mph was top end original mfg stats for my car stemming from road tests during year of production. From a few relatively mild engine and exhaust modifications I believe she has about 25 added hp. Meaning she now has about 385 hp. total. I've buried the speedometer a few times on desolate flat roads. Though I didn't dare hit GM's mfg stats of 149 mph top end. Know for sure I had her in the high 130's!

Art

I have a BMW. M6 ( my toy car), its was to fast for me but my kid and get in it and make it rock, I don't even line to ride shotgun with him behind the wheel. I enjoy driving it up to 120 and that's it.

Wifey B: I know nothing about roads without traffic. Where would you find those? I wouldn't mind a few laps in a race car or something. Seriously, my car has 530 hp and top speed around 190 and it's never been over about 90 mph and that would have been passing or something. Now, if I was somewhere open and no speed limit, it would be different. Someone mentioned Alps, but it's a long drive to them from Fort Lauderdale. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom