Your opinions on GARMIN 5000 series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Me again:

Does any of you experienced traler owners have the new GARMIN GPSMAP 5015/12/08 installed? What is your opinion? Was that a good value for the price? Does it do its job?

Thank you all

Fernando

Fernando:

I don't have a 5015 but one of my passions is going to West Marine and trying all the various chart plotters. I found the 5015 extremely easy to use, a very bright & sharp display and it was highly recommended by the owner of a San Diego electronics shop. At several boat shows I've attended over the past few years, the Ranger Tugs dealer had that model in their boats. I really liked it as do I like most of the Garmin plotters.

Old Stone wrote:
Although I have two large Garmin units, they are not the 5015's. In my personal opinion, anything Garmin makes is a home run. Have never had a bad unit, and they are easy, even for a dummy like me, to use!
*X2

I just bought a Garmin 700 series plotter and like the 5000 series is touch screen. Touch screen is the future and the only way to go if you can afford it.

I have Garmin chart plotter too 12" screen, not the 5000 series. *Their plotters are the best and only get better with each new model. *They have great maps and all the bells and whistles, more than I can use. *I don't know what I did without one all these years.

You won't be sorry whichever one you buy. *Maybe think about the screen size and where you will mount it at the helm. *A 12" was a little overwhelming at my helm at first. If you are going to have integrated networked systems, radar, with the plotter, then the 12" or larger is desirable.

I think it would not be an overstatement to say that as far as GPS goes, Garmin is the world gold standard...and I don't even have one....

Thank you all guys...You have helped me to take a decision. A 5012 will be.

Thanks

Fernando

When I began searching for options to upgrade my electronics with a budget of $5000, I think I should have posted the question just the way you did here. I'm headed down the pike now to look again at the 5000 series. Sounds like a good way to go....all plug-ins possible, and the Admiral loves the touch screen. *But that price increase from the 12 to 15 inch....wow.

-- Edited by healhustler on Thursday 4th of August 2011 10:35:17 AM

Why have a 15 inch? Heck my GPS is only 5 inch, and although I'd like bigger, it suffices, as a bigger screen is no more accurate, just a bit easier to look at. The huge cost increase for larger screens is a (marine) rip-off, look how cheap an iPad is compared. I would be more than happy with a 7 or 8 inch, so 12 would be more than enough, in my view. Larger is just one-upmanship if money is no object.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom