What to cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I usually have my onboard parties catered. Say you are having a small party on board 6 people max and you have a full galley and grill. What do you like to serve?

Depends on the people. If they are visitors I would probably go with local seafood - lobster.

Whatever I feel like cooking that night or what looks good to me at the grocery. How about grilled seasoned bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, fried apples and baked sweet potatoes? That might be on my menu tonight. Or maybe cedar planked salmon. Ok, now I gotta go to the store.

Y'all are making me hungry!!! These are fantastic ideas!!!!!

Quick and easy .Satay chicken and beef screws on the BBQ glutinous rice cake fresh pineapple, onion wedges and heaps of satay peanut sauce

I'm always a fan of taco/fajita bar for dinner parties. Shrimp, fish, chicken, steak, homemade pico de gallo, veggies and fixings. Every one can find something they like. Use the smaller tortillas. Easier to handle and encourages more sampling.

Last edited:
How about Puttenesca, tasty quick. Serve with salad and bread and some nice red wine.

Whatever I feel like cooking that night or what looks good to me at the grocery. How about grilled seasoned bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, fried apples and baked sweet potatoes? That might be on my menu tonight. Or maybe cedar planked salmon. Ok, now I gotta go to the store.
Hey Paul, good to here from you. We have had that same meal with the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, just not on our little trawler. My wife also makes a mean tomato pie to go with this .

Last edited:
Ironic! The last thing I cooked on board was puttenesca! I should mention my daughter will be there and she has Celiac. (no gluten)

Everyone likes seafood, just don't know whether I want to make it a huge production. I could do Portugese garlic shrimp over jasmine rice with a side of asparagus. Thats pretty easy.

Now, how about a festive 4th of july dessert?

Some recent meals on board.

Make some bread before they arrive so they are hit with that aroma as they board - that will get the appetites going!

Don't forget wine - wine with everything!

Chops, Bahamian style rice and peas, cauli.

Teryaki flank steak

Home made pizza

Sides of conch salad

Shrimp salad

Crab cakes with feta and pepper salad

Crab stuffed salmon with pasta

Attachments

• BoatBread (960x720).jpg
    BoatBread (960x720).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0274 (960x640).jpg
    DSC_0274 (960x640).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0337 (960x640).jpg
    DSC_0337 (960x640).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0445 (640x960).jpg
    DSC_0445 (640x960).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0375 (960x720).jpg
    DSCF0375 (960x720).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20170317_185600 (960x720).jpg
    IMG_20170317_185600 (960x720).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20170330_192635 (720x960).jpg
    IMG_20170330_192635 (720x960).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20170323_191026 (960x720).jpg
    IMG_20170323_191026 (960x720).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I'm coming to your boat Menzies!!!!!! Look out!

Seriously, those meals look fantastic! I'm going to go with the garlic shrimp and small steak fillets. Surf and turf!

Maybe a triffle for dessert.

Try going Mediterranean. Tabuli salad, stuffed grape leafs, veggies with humus and small cubed tenderloin skewers marinated in olive oil and lemon juice cooked over the grill. Most of this can be prepared the day before with the exception of grilling the tenderloin.

Mmmm, stuffed grape leaves, one of my favorites!

I would try and keep it simple. Also try and think about clean up after. Maybe just do something that would only use the grill such as steaks and grilled chicken. You could also grill veggies such as peppers. Maybe add an easy salad then you have yourself a meal!

Recent meals:

Shrimp (or chicken or pork) Yakisoba with stir fry veges and hot chili oil

Pressure cooker Pork roast with homemade applesauce and asparagus

Sliced Tri Top roast topped with cooked mushrooms and onions and bleu cheese with spinach

Chicken (or pork or fish) with homemade pico de gallo and sides of coleslaw and beans

Pressure cooker corn beef, cabbage, carrots, onions and new potatoes

Grilled ribeye steaks with toppings (mushrooms, onions, bleu cheese) and grilled zucchini

Teriyaki chicken and stir fry veges

Since it's (a) summer, and (b) your daughter has Celiac, try a Dill & Avocado Shrimp Salad. You can Google it....I use a Joan Rivers recipe from a Paul Newman cookbook. Serve with a crisp white wine, and maybe bread for the other guests.
You'd only have to boil the shrimp unless you're baking bread. Everything else is cool.

Grilled steaks and artichokes followed by bananas foster served over homemade coconut icecream served over rum cake.

I like to do a Paella on the round Magma grill.

When we have guests, with possibility of differing tastes, we often do a "Middle Eastern mixed grill" of some steak, chops, sausages (usually breakfast sausages), lamb, chicken, shrimp... small sizes and quantities of each so everyone can mix and match at their plate. Varying spices for each pf those group , so everything imparts a somewhat different taste...

Often accompanied by rice, various ripe olives, grilled veg (peppers, onions, etc.), and a good bread. Often preceded by appetizers like fried feta, etc.

-Chris

Wifey B: If it was just hubby and me doing the cooking, we'd go with the simplest there is. Steak grilled, probably Rib-Eye, Baked Potatoes, Salads, some fruit or berries tossed in, perhaps shrimp appetizer, perhaps steamed broccoli. Nothing requiring any real work. :)

My favourite boat entree (starter)

Prawns (shrimp) stuffed with blue cheese, wrapped in prosciutto and tossed on the barbie (grill) for a few minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom