Changing the Name of a Vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T4Liberty

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why I should or should not attempt to change the name of a boat I am under contract to purchase at the time of closing and documentation transfer?

Can't I just ask the closing agent to add it to the list of tasks they will perform?

Anybody done this?

Thanks

Is there any reason why I should or should not attempt to change the name of a boat I am under contract to purchase at the time of closing and documentation transfer?

Can't I just ask the closing agent to add it to the list of tasks they will perform?

Anybody done this?

Thanks

You can do so. I haven't done so, but it's done on the Form CG-1258.

As to where you should or shouldn't, depends on how you feel about the old name and may also depend a bit on the reputation of the boat. I'd always change, because you never know what the old owner might have done to give that boat a bad reputation.

I definitely want to change the name. I'm just wondering whether there is any reason why I can/ can't or should/ shouldn't do so at the time of closing.

I did last year when I bought mine. The new name and hailing port went onto the documentation even though it was a month or so before the name got put on the boat.

I definitely want to change the name. I'm just wondering whether there is any reason why I can/ can't or should/ shouldn't do so at the time of closing.

That's the time you should as it's very easy then.

We also did the name change at closing. In our case it was a condition of sale (we would have changed it anyway) as it was named after a family member who had passed. Our document company took care of it.

I also changed the name in the documentation paperwork at closing. It was a simple step. It was 3-5 months before I was able to change the name on the boat.

Once you have submitted the paperwork, the documentation company should give you some paperwork showing the change is in the works. You can go ahead and put the new name and hailing port on at that time.

And then, some will claim it is bad luck to change the name of a boat. :banghead:

And then, some will claim it is bad luck to change the name of a boat. :banghead:

Superstitions may be irrational, but always a source of fun. Next time someone tells you changing the name is bad luck--and someone surely will, ask him how many times he has started a voyage after work on Friday.

As long as you pay Neptune his due, all will be well:)

Our "green"another story 30' timber ex Navel Launch DAHLIA broke her morning in a storm traveled from Northbridge to Balmain in Sydney :eek: (for the ozzies here ) :) Then 3 days later broke her mooring again at Balmain Police compound traveled towards Sydney Heads overnight then sunk off Middle Head .
All this happened because we removed her name a week before . This could have been avoid if we have taken advice and removed her name from the Ledger of the Deep, and from Poseidon's memory :rofl:

Many times more booze afterwards. :)

Back
Top Bottom