New boat, new member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howesounder

Vessel Name
Sea Gypsy
Vessel Make
45 CHB Pilothouse
Hello all, and thanks for the opportunity to be on this site. Just bought the "Sea Gypsy out of Portland Oregon, and sailed her 100 miles down river, over the Columbia Bar, and up to North Vancouver. Seems like a remarkably good condition boat for 1980. I just have a few issues to deal with. Front window leaks, but in a boat house so no big hurry there. Fuel tanks just replaced, 650 total, so nice! Fuel gauges only work on one side. Suspect a leak in the bubbler tubing, as when pumped, the second pair of tanks measurement immediately drops to 0 inches. Think I may have someone pump, and use an ultrasonic leak detector to find the leak? Perkins 260 HP diesels with Twin Disk transmissions, so a great engine package. Managed 6 GPH total doing about 8.5 knots during the trip, and now safely on inland waterways slowed to about 7.5 knots for 4 gallons per hour. (Has flowmeters) Have not tried full speed yet, but had it doing 16 knots the other day at 2400 rpm. Had no idea these things could get up and plane. Fuel burn was a staggering 55 GPH, and I only stayed at that speed for about 30 seconds. Sound proofing seems a bit lame, so hoping to take some of the foam/foil/barium insulation down there and double up everywhere I can, and mostly just go around all of the exsisting systems,.....see how that works for starters. Lots or reading here for me will keep me busy for a time

Welcome aboard,

Sounds like you found yourself a nice boat. With the Floscans, you quickly learn the benefits of displacement speed travel.

You live a a great area to enjoy a boat like this. Have fun.

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new boat.

Ted

Thanks all. Last two boats were 4588 bayliners so the basic format is similar. This boat seems a bit more planted in the water than the bayliners. Finish on this boat is nicer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom