Auto pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rubber Duck

Vessel Name
Cabernet
Vessel Make
Resort 35
What effect would a blocked helm check valve have on an auto pilot ?
Will it cause wandering off course ?.

Can you give a bit more detail? The only time my autopilot wanders off course is in rough seas, wind and current. I'm at the helm anyway so I adjust it.

I have never heard of a helm check valve. Can you educate me on that please? I'm learning as I go.

Blocked checkvalve or stuck in the open position? Blocked & you won't be able to turn with the wheel or pilot because a check valve is in-line. Open with perhaps a piece of debris under the valve & yes, your assumption would be correct.
Try really ,REALLY giving the wheel a hard, snapping turn in both directions. That'll dislodge a piece on trash from under a valve in lots of cases.

Can you give a bit more detail? The only time my autopilot wanders off course is in rough seas, wind and current. I'm at the helm anyway so I adjust it.

I have never heard of a helm check valve. Can you educate me on that please? I'm learning as I go.

Donna there needs to be a check valve in the line at each helm otherwise when you turned the wheel at one helm or engage the (hydraulic) pilot, the other wheel would turn instead of the rudder moving.

Donna there needs to be a check valve in the line at each helm otherwise when you turned the wheel at one helm or engage the (hydraulic) pilot, the other wheel would turn instead of the rudder moving.

Gotcha, thank you! Another entry for the master spreadsheet!!! :)

Thanks Boomerang,
will give that a go, ive bled the steering and am confident that no air is in the system but the course wanders when on the pilot even after increasing sensitivity and re calibrating the pilot.
the pilot has been very reliable until recently.

Duck, there's all kinds of things that'll make an autopilot wander. Does the boat hold true when steering by hand?
It could be something as simple as somebody has inadvertently tinkered with the actual pilot settings, you've placed your toolbox too close to the pilots compass or the rudder feedback linkage is worn. Those things more likely to be the cause of an autopilot wandering than a check valve.

"the pilot has been very reliable until recently."

Check for new ferrous items near the AP compass.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom