Who else washes their engine/s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like having a clean engine and engine room, but can't bring myself to turn a hose on it. When I clean, it's more of a sponge bath.

I agree. There are way too many electrical connections and related equipment in my ER to turn a hose loose. Scary in fact.

If you want a clean engine, just wipe it down. These things are not furniture. More important that the machine is in good condition and less that it is spotless.
:thumb:

Part of my long standing engine maintenance routine is to wash the engine and entire engine room after an oil change. I always clean up any spilled oil first.

Oil spill during oil change?

-Chris

Inevitably!

Usually it is a side mounted oil filter that gets me. I use a baggie but it isn't a perfect solution...

Bruce

That is one thing that you will love, not having to change a horizontally mounted oil filter that is in a hard to reach, awkward position.

My sailboat has a 56hp diesel with relatively easy access for a sailboat. It is so much easier and faster to change the oil and filters on my 380hp Cummins!

Wash your dog or car but not your boat engine.

Engine cleanup

Bruce I commend your efforts and success in cleaning the exterior of your engine and room! But what about the interior do you fresh water wash the exhaust system? Do you use some kind of injector cleaner? ETC
Gregg

Bruce - So SHINEY...

Had to put sunglasses on!!

Boats and girlfriends have similarities... i.e., we like to spend time shining both when new!

After that we just help em stay fairly clean... making sure both they and we can function well together - lol.

Bruce I commend your efforts and success in cleaning the exterior of your engine and room! But what about the interior do you fresh water wash the exhaust system? Do you use some kind of injector cleaner? ETC
Gregg

I am not an additive kind of guy typically. I did use a biocide on the sailboat. Not sure if I will on this boat or not.
I will perform the service suggested by Seaboard Marine on my aftercooler next as it makes perfect sense but while we are using the boat, no fresh water flush.
I certainly will flush if the boat is going to sit though.
Bruce

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom