View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #87
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani-lu View Post
So, where are we? I am leaning towards a semi-displacement, with a good sized ER. I want 2 heads, preferably separate standup showers in each, but I would compromise with only one separate standup shower. This is the set up we currently have on our boat and it works fine, even when we have guests overnighting. I would prefer a raised pilot house, with side doors for easy exit to assist with lines when needed. We want an island master bed, something we don't have now. Other considerations - one or two engines? I am not a fan of an aft cabin where the cockpit is raised. I like the cockpit at water level, with easy access to the swim platform. Well, where do I go from here? What boats should I be researching? I am thinking 43 to 50', and controlling price with age of boat. Price is kind of up in the air, but I would think at least $300k, with room to go up if I fall in love with the perfect boat, a Unicorn.

Thanks again for all the input.

Jeff
Jeff,

We are close to being in the same boat (pun intended). However, you're set on a bigger boat and sounds like you'll do more of the live a board life style that we do, but we are planning on the loop.

I'm with you, don't like the aft cabin and much prefer the open cockpit, where we spend a lot of time.

We ended up with the 400 Mainship, single engine. Not stand up ER, but doable for an old retired fart. But only has a single head. The 430 "might" be an option for you, as well as the Beneteau fast trawler. Both in your price range and both have some speed when needed. However, my 400 with the SD hull will cruise high speed at 13kts and top out at 15.5. But 7 to 8 is the comfort zone.

Another nice thing about the above it they have room for toys, which is a must for us. Bikes, windsurfer, kayak and a dingy.

The Mainship is not an ocean going vessel, but great for the ICW, loop and short week trips. The Beneteau is better for ocean, and I looked at one very seriously. But at $300K it didn't have enough bang to pay almost double the Mainship. And, I need to save money for my other toys.

I'll also take the Mainship out for lunch runs, less than a few miles. It take little more time than my 280 Sundancer and is cheaper to operate. My only issue in launching the Mainship is tide... I live in a really shallow cove, hopefully you don't have that issue.

So, lots of choices out there. Keep us posted.