View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #70
eyschulman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
If you're going to ride bare sticks up and down the ICW then a sailboat is cheaper. If you actually sail, then sails and rigging are expensive to keep up and replace.
Depends how you do it. My sails all lasted more than ten years. If you don't flog them and pay attention to a stitch in time and keep them covered out of the sun when not in use they keep going. I also did my own sail and rigging repair and occasionally sail making. No question in my mind sail boats are less expensive to run. Also a 15-20 year old sail boat is often in much better overall shape and sea worthy than a comparable motor vessel and can be the economical buy between the two. I think the real question for many on this site is not coast but cottage comfort and effort and skill needed to run the boat. On the hook and at the dock comparing boats of the same LOA the power craft is much more home like and the sail boat is more like camping out, until you get to the new big model sail boats which have been cottaged up.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote