Average Marina Costs in FL, GA, SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
Hi Fellow TF'ers!! I am on a mission to learn what the average monthly marina costs are around Florida, GA, and SC. Hilton Head, Charleston, and Savannah for GA and SC. In Florida I'm thinking Tampa, St Pete, Sarasota area on the west coast and east coast around Jacksonville down to Vero. Not limited to just these areas, but a good place to start!

We like a full service marina, but it doesn't need to have resort amenities. I know this is a huge area to cover, but it seems like we have members everywhere who might be able to give some insight! I've always wanted to move further south.....time to start doing some research!!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

Last edited:
1.50 to 2.00 per foot average.

Thete sre higher and lower.

Really just have to search areas you plan to visit.

Not sure about Fl West Coast...havent been in awhile.

Use Active Captain. They give web addresses for essentially all marinas in the US. Sometimes the marina's web site gives prices, but more often than not you have to call.

Cheaper the further north you go from Miami and the farther you are from big cities. Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart, Fl gets good reviews from snowbirds.

David

Thanks guys. Looking more for monthly rates...on average, for example, does Jacksonville usually run 15.00 per foot per month?

Not a member of active captain...was once...but let's not have another thread on closed accounts.

Just looking for averages on monthly rent.

I pay $485 a month for my slip plus $5.00 for water and I have metered electric. The slip fee is the same no matter the length of the boat.

Here is what I get for my fees -
Fresh water with gulf of mexico access
Great view of the sunset
Broken docks (as in falling down all around us)
No wifi
Dirty bathroom
Horrible parking situation

Blue knows what I am talking about. He rescued a boat from my marina.

Ft Pierce City was a little less than $800 per month for a 40 footer, live aboard.

Great marina, great town.

Ask Don Moon of Moonstruck as he is the Marina Mayor and superstar of the annual February get together there. :)

In Fort Myers, FL the monthly rate is $10 to $18 a foot depend on what you want. I spend $600 a month for a nice municipal marina in a protected area with a very low salinity level. It's not a resort, but well maintained and very secure. I tend to spend little time at the marina, choosing to go cruising when on the boat.

Ted

Palm Coast average, $500.00 a month inclusive.

Goodness, what do you get for those 500-800 per month? We pay here in the old world 2000/3000 per year! Thought you have so many space over there that is has be cheaper than here in the EU

Ft Pierce City was a little less than $800 per month for a 40 footer, live aboard.

Great marina, great town.

Ask Don Moon of Moonstruck as he is the Marina Mayor and superstar of the annual February get together there. :)

Bess, this is evidence that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Scott was a great help in putting on the gathering along with Larry and Lena, Irv and Wafta and Ahmed. Ted also did his share.

FPCM is about $11.00/ft/mo. plus elec and tax. I would say for your boat probably between $5-600.00. A livaboard fee of about $130.00 is added for that. I think Ortega River Landing in Jax is about the same. LarryM could shed some light on this. There are some areas that are pricey like St. Augustine. I think Rivers Edge Marina on the San Sebastion River is about the most reasonable there. Anything below Ft. Pierce is more than likely more expensive. The West Coast prices are fairly similar as Ted said.

In SC Charleston and Hilton Head are very pricey. Charleston City Marina is within walking distance of the old city plus they run a van shuttle from the Marina. Shelter Cover on Hilton Head is $16.00/ft plus $120.00 for 50 amp electric. With taxes added you could be spending $1,000.00 or more per month. Harbor Town is much more than that. That being said, Hilton Head is a great place. Shelter Cove is like a second home to Moonstruck. We are contemplating moving back just to cut driving time.

It's been a few years since we were last on the Chesapeake, but I found marina charges there less than farther South.

We have found Fort Pierce a good place to base our boat. The inlet is close by, and it is just a short hop to the Little Bahama Bank. There are good marine services, and many restaurants within walking distance. 2 restaurants are in the marina.

Moonstruck does not really have a permanent home. Instead we move her around for extended stays in various places. That's the way we like it. As a result a lot of places feel like home when we get back.

First, if we would post the city and the marina, it would probably help the OP.

I'm a Florida Cruiser.....

On a trip from Palm Coast (south of St. Augustine) around thru the Okeechobee up to St. Petersburg I had no problem finding Marinas in the $2 or less per nite, which may not be an indication of monthly rates.

As for monthly, the Marina I left at Palm Coast, Hammock Beach Marina $500 mo with pool, restaurant, great dock master and only charge for the days you stay.

Here in the St. Petersburg area it's more like $800 per month. Twin Dolphins on the Manatee River is nice. The St. Pete Down town ones are nice, but more pricey, Vinoy, Muni Marina (a bit cheaper) and Harborage.

In the inter coastal, there's a few that are cheaper, Madeira Beach is cheap, few amenities, but walking distance to a lot. However a waiting list to get in, probably easy to get in for a short time.

To the north Dunedin is nice with lots close by, Marker one is ok but little near buy, and Home Port is very nice with good restaurant and pool. The last two are in the $700 to $800 range last time I checked.

Bess....be careful with the sliding pricing.

Monthly costs based on one month....or the monthly cost of a more than 3, 6, or12 month lease?

Even weekly costs are calculated differently by different marinas. Some give it to you spread out over days stayed, some give you a week or whatever multiple of, but any days short of a week you pay the high daily rate.

Unfortunately nothing is simple.

And unfortunately some marinas are friendly and will negotiate, others are quickly insulted you would challenge their business plan if you ask for a deal.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. Looking more for monthly rates...on average, for example, does Jacksonville usually run 15.00 per foot per month?

Not a member of active captain...was once...but let's not have another thread on closed accounts.

Just looking for averages on monthly rent.

You don't need to be a member to access this information.

Bess....be careful with the sliding pricing.

Monthly costs based on one month....or the monthly cost of a more than 3, 6, or12 month lease?

Isn't that the truth!! :) This happens in NC at some marinas too.

Thanks all!! This is all very helpful. My overall take away so far is that there are some reasonable rents to be found!!

Isn't that the truth!! :) This happens in NC at some marinas too.

Thanks all!! This is all very helpful. My overall take away so far is that there are some reasonable rents to be found!!

Compared to southeast VA, those prices are high.
Belle Isle Marina Hampton VA is
5$ a foot per month wet slip, includes city water and electric
9$ a foot per month hauled out
12$ a foot haul wash block and includes going back in, separate fee from the 9$ foot per month dry storage in the yard after hauled out

I am paying $130 per month at Thomas Marina in Seaford VA, includes 30 amp power and city water.

Last edited:
Compared to southeast VA, those prices are high.
Belle Isle Marina Hampton VA is
5$ a foot per month wet slip, includes city water and electric
9$ a foot per month hauled out
12$ a foot haul wash block and includes going back in, separate fee from the 9$ foot per month dry storage in the yard after hauled out

I am paying $130 per month at Thomas Marina in Seaford VA, includes 30 amp power and city water.

Yea, but there is no way in hell we are going further north... nope. Not a chance. :blush::lol::lol::D:blush:

Ok, I agree about location, I live here, get to boat, and it's not too pricey.
I have seen Northeast marina prices and they are also high.
So must be more than temp.

they have rebuilt Poquoson Marina and renamed it White House Cove Marina. I think the prices are high except for 'E' dock at $150 per month wherever that is.

I tried calling them but they never respond, never a live body on the line.
The place is also very empty, it used to be very crowded before the upgrade. In february , the U shaped covered docks had only one boat in a slip of 70?
Here are the prices
http://whitehousecovemarina.com/wp-...pp-Lic-Agreement-Annual-without-SY-prices.pdf

Last edited:
Moonstruck does not really have a permanent home. Instead we move her around for extended stays in various places. That's the way we like it. As a result a lot of places feel like home when we get back.

This is great information Don! We are the same....we somewhat consider New Bern our Home port, but other places quickly become home. Home is where the boat is. We are hoping to become more "remote workers" shortly and come to Florida for a bit to see how we like it for a possible retirement location. (Or just for fun while we're still working!!!)

For some crazy numbers consider this:

In Ocean City, MD, my charter boat slip is $1,000 a month ($29 per foot) for a 35' charter boat with a seasonal 6 month contract. In Crisfield, MD, the nicest slip on a 50' floating dock for my trawler costs $2,700 for the year. That's $5 per foot per month! The marinas are less than 75 miles apart. The one in Ocean city has a waiting list. The one in Chesapeake Bay is half empty.

It's all about location and what people are willing to pay.

Ted

Don't be surprised if the local government seeks your payment of property taxes on the berth if in a municipal marina. I pay nearly $100 a year to the local tax collector on the berth. With paying annual property taxes on my boat and berth, dang right I expect free pumpout facilities but choose to pay a fee for someone else to pump out black water.

Except for liveaboards, no waiting list here.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if the local government seeks your payment of property taxes on the berth if in a municipal marina. I pay nearly $100 a year to the local tax collector on the berth. With paying annual property taxes on my boat and berth, dang right I expect free pumpout facilities but choose to pay a fee for someone else to pump out black water.

Except for liveaboards, no waiting list here.

That's a California anomaly. Now, each state has different property taxes to be aware of and, in Virginia, they vary by city.

Jacksonville, Beach Marine around 13.50 a foot non-liveaboard I think 15.50 liveaboard and the Marina is falling apart. I won't park my car there.

Palm Cove Marina across from beach Marine not too bad, nice docks a few amenities, pool etc. I believe 13.50 to 15 a foot per month.

St. Augustine last I checked was 14.50 a foot per month.

Don't forget a soon as you hit Florida your Insurance will go up.

3200 a year for us and that does NOT include the Bahamas. I think it would be around 800 a year, if I was in MD.

100 a month plus $20 for electric/water for me. This is a barebones setup with a floating dock, parking and some lights.. Wouldn't be great for liveaboard(no pump out).

Panacea,FL area and they don't charge by the foot(flat rate @ $100).

Carabelle can be done for around 265 a month for a 34' trawler(some spots are $250 flat rate). Get closer to Destin and the prices skyrocket(for good reason).

St marks @ shields is very nice and my marina of choice but @ nearly $300 I think i'd rather be in Carabelle(they have dry rack storage for very reasonable rates but their fresh water slips are in demand).

When I was in Fort Lauderdale is was 600-1000 for a decent setup @ marina's and quite a bit cheaper if you can find a spot behind someone's house on the Dania cutoff canal to rent. I heard guys would take a ride up the canal and door knock the ones without boats..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom