Rocky Pass SE Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
OK TF. I am looking forward in planning. Pairadice and ASD plan to leave Juneau for Hoonah and down Chatham Strait.

So we have to make a decision of 3 routes back to Wrangell.

Route 1 is to travel all the way around Cape Decision and connect with Sumner Strait. Admiral says no way! So now we are left with 2 choices.

Route 2 would be to travel Frederick Sound to Petersburg, then down Wrangell Narrows. This is the "long way" around.

Route 3 is through Rocky Pass from Kate to Sumner Strait then to Wrangell.

Question: Who has traveled Rocky Pass? After all the reading, I have found it can only be transient at high slack because of depth at low tide of 5 feet or less at Devils Elbow and The Summit.

OK TF give me discussion please........:confused:

I prefer deep water.

Wrangell narrows is a nice easy cruise.

Plenty of things to see

We concluded that rocky pass was a bit too skinny for our 7' draft, but I know people in 40 and 43s that have gone through.

But don't dismiss going down and around Kuiu and cape decision. Kuiu is really cool, especially Tenenkof Bay, and there is some really interesting stuff up Affleck channel.

TT wrote;
"But don't dismiss going down and around Kuiu and cape decision. Kuiu is really cool, especially Tenenkof Bay, and there is some really interesting stuff up Affleck channel."

I've heard many accounts of this being a very special place. Most all from SE Alaska residents.

That friggin Tom is gonna try and run us aground! Think we decided to bypass this route, me and the Admiral really wanna enjoy the 4th of July in Wrangle.

But we gotta catch some fish! Kings are scarce and I cant seem to latch on to a halibut to save my butt.

No biggie. It's well marked and well charted. Hit The Summit and Devils Elbow at high water. I recall seeing at least 15 feet of water. Been through at least a half-dozen times and after the first time I don't sweat it. The biggest worry I have is plugging the cooling system with kelp.

Friends with a 58' West Bay just came through with no trouble. I've seen limit seiners in there. Don't cut any corners, though...but that's true of Wrangell Narrows too.

The Douglass guide makes it sound far worse than it is.

I agree kelp at the elbow is mostly the only problem .....
Unless your navagation goes "astray".

That friggin Tom is gonna try and run us aground! Think we decided to bypass this route, me and the Admiral really wanna enjoy the 4th of July in Wrangle.

But we gotta catch some fish! Kings are scarce and I cant seem to latch on to a halibut to save my butt.

Chief,

Generally the king salmon fishing is signifantly better near the ocean. If you come to Sitka I will be pleased to share some gear and point you toward some hot spots.

Ken

Chief,

Generally the king salmon fishing is signifantly better near the ocean. If you come to Sitka I will be pleased to share some gear and point you toward some hot spots.

Ken

You have a deal:dance::dance:

Chief,

Ken

Nice Going Deckhand, better set up a reservation service in anticipation !!:banghead::banghead::D

Three kings in an hour in Sitka Sound on 6/10, near Vitskari rocks.

While we we there heard Mayday from a chartered NT42, which had disabled rudder and was taking on water. We stayed close for a while, until troopers and tow boat arrived. CG came a bit later with a crash pump. Troopers said the boat was sinking by the stern. Don't know how it turned out.

I like Rocky Pass, have been through a few times. Hit Devils Elbow at high slack current and it's not too tough. I would not do it in poor visibility.

Last edited:
Rocky Pass is OK as a shortcut.

But it has very little scenic value IMO.

We anchored somewhere in the Pass near a river. Had a Forfjord anchor that refused to hook up on several tries. Then tried an XYZ that was an earlier model of that brand and it wouldn't hook up. Next I tried my 13lb Danforth that came w the boat when it was new. Hooked solid on the first try. Still have that one and it ain't for sale.

While we we there heard Mayday from a chartered NT42, which had disabled rudder and was taking on water. We stayed close for a while, until troopers and tow boat arrived. CG came a bit later with a crash pump. Troopers said the boat was sinking by the stern. Don't know how it turned out.

I like Rocky Pass, have been through a few times. Hit Devils Elbow at high slack current and it's not too tough. I would not do it in poor visibility.

Mr Cook, it looks like you qualify as the go to guy for fishing Sitka Sound! Indeed, it's Scary Rocks (Vitskati Rocks) is a hot spot.

Richard

The report I read said the vessel, 18 Eagles, ran aground in calm weather and began taking on water. Responders were both AK Troopers and CG. They were towed to Sitka for repairs. It is part of the NT charter fleet out of Juneau.

Keep on catching, hope you have a big freezer!

[QUOTE=sunchaser;565453]Richard

The report I read said the vessel, 18 Eagles, ran aground in calm weather and began taking on water. Responders were both AK Troopers and CG. They were towed to Sitka for repairs. It is part of the NT charter fleet out of Juneau.![/QUOTE]

Certainly glad that all were found safe.yet, reading the article and recognizing from the photo that it was a Nordic Tug, the unknowing would have thought this a case of a actual working tug in trouble in high seas not a fiberglass watanabe pleasure craft fortunately in calm waters.

I applaud our young folk serving their country and do not wish to take anything away from their efforts, but again, the article reads like a presentation to congress in support of additional funding. Just has a bit of self serving dialog for the actual depth of the situation.

Al-Ketchikan

Back
Top Bottom