Inflatable SUP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Does anyone use an inflatable SUP? If so, can you recommend a good one?

I have a couple of hard SUPs we use at home on the river, but they take up too much space on the boat.

I have a boat neighbor that has an inflatable, which he purchased at Costco recently. About $450., it solid and he loves it. Breaks down to a large back pack.

Bill

Oh sorry, stand up paddle board.

I got a Jimmy Stykes from West Marine and love it! It stores easily! Pumping it is a workout all in its own!

These stupid acronyms drive me nuts. It's rude to not at first, in this case declare "stand up paddle board" and thereafter "SUP". Preferably in the title, and then first time in the text. Got nothing against "CD" (car dude) but why do so many do this. It's obvious lots of people won't know what it means. But it continues. Perhaps it makes people feel youthful ??? I don't even know if acronyms are a youth thing but I'm sure retirement age people don't often use acronyms in this way. I think I'll just continue to ignore posts that revolve around acronyms. Like this one occasionally I'll click on just to see what it means. But often I have to read many posts to figure it out. One thing's for sure .. using acronyms indiscriminately is not a plus for good communication. Obviously it is if it's very common as in POW "prisoner of war". But I lived on an island named Prince of Wales Is. and of course everybody called their island POW. But they didn't try that in Seattle .. unless they just didn't think much.

Last edited:
These stupid acronyms drive me nuts. It's rude to not at first, in this case declare "stand up paddle board" and thereafter "SUP". Preferably in the title, and then first time in the text. Got nothing against "CD" (car dude) but why do so many do this. It's obvious lots of people won't know what it means. But it continues. Perhaps it makes people feel youthful ??? I don't even know if acronyms are a youth thing but I'm sure retirement age people don't often use acronyms in this way. I think I'll just continue to ignore posts that revolve around acronyms. Like this one occasionally I'll click on just to see what it means. But often I have to read many posts to figure it out. One thing's for sure .. using acronyms indiscriminately is not a plus for good communication.

Doesn't your computer come with Google search? It's very simple to enter the letters SUP in the Google search bar and find the definition, description and images. Google is your friend....embrace it.

I worked my entire career for a government agency that raised the bar in the use of acronyms...FAA. I used to joke that the FAA never met an acronym it didn't like. To this day, I still talk (and type) in acronyms.

BTW, SUP has been in the American vernacular for many years. It's become common use in many circles like SUV or AIDS. Folks have stopped defining those acronyms years ago.

Last edited:
FYI I have two 7 year old ULI inflatable paddle boards that get used and abused and are still going strong. Yes they are expensive but have served us well and I would not hesitate buying another ULI board Mike

Have a Bote Breeze inflatable SUP (Google it) and it's pretty impressive. Hard to argue with the portability, and the drop-stitch inflatable boards are a completely different animal from an inflatable tender. Very solid.

Why should I google all this stuff?
Most of the time I'm not interested enough to google.
I'll just go read something that .. oh never mind ..

Eric,
It might well be a youth thing. My 35 yo (sorry, year old) son:

Doesn't take a vacation, he goes on a "vacay"
Doesn't go over the Tappan Zee Bridge, he "takes the Tap"
Doesn't go to California on business, he goes to "Cali"
He doesn't pick up his friend and 5 PM, he "scoops him at 5"

and on and on. I don't know how to speak anymore and neither do you!

context is everything.....

SUP What's Up?
SUP Soudé Usine Process (welded machine process)
SUP Supuration (band)

SUP Supplement/Supplemental
SUP Supplemental Dictionary (File Name Extension)
SUP Society for Ultrastructural Pathology
SUP Standard Unit of Processing
SUP Sport Utility Pack (automotive)
SUP Sustaining University Program (program of PEE)
SUP Suspect Unapproved Part
SUP Service Use Profile
SUP Shot Under Protest
SUP Single Unit Pack (automobile exportation)
SUP Software Update Protocol
SUP Sophia University Press (Japan)
SUP Shared Use Path (various locations)

SUP Run Support (baseball; runs scored for a pitcher per 9 innings)
SUP Senshu University Press (Senshu University; Tokyo, Japan)
SUP Stanford University Press
SUP Start-Up Program
SUP State University Plaza (New York)
SUP Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis
SUP Superintendent
SUP Superscript (HTML markup tag)
SUP Supervisor
SUP Supine
SUP Sustainable Production
SUP Stand Up Paddleboarding (sport)
SUP Stand Up Paddleboat
SUP Sydney University Press (Australia)
SUP Supplementary
SUP Supply
SUP Support
SUP Supremum (least upper bound)
SUP Special Use Permit
SUP Specific Use Permit (city planning and zoning)
SUP Spherical Unit Provided

Stand Up Paddleboard isn't even listed

So are the expensive, drop-stitched high pressure boards really worth that much more than the $474 Costco board?

IMO, FWIW, I usually end up buying low end, cheaper stuff but maybe that's the wrong approach with these inflatable boards.

TTFN!

Yea I've got the list of 100 common acronyms. Dosn't seem to be much help.

Howard that was great .. loved it. It was years ago My nieces started w the "vaycay" stuff. There seems to be much more importance on being cool these days. Much more important than grades. But Howard we were cool too don't you remember? Blue swade shoes w the welts painted white. Very skinny belts and peged pants. Then there was all the "far out" "daddyo" "alligator" .. yup we were fairly silly but most people understood us.

And I'm sure someone will say "still do". But it's rather extensive when we're talk'in bout young people stuff on an old man's boat forum. That's prolly it. Just old men wanting to be heard as youthful. Does that mean old people now days are halving trouble w aging. I sure don't like it ........ however I'm glad I have the knowledge and experience that I do. Explains a lot of things old people said when I was young. Things, important things I certianly didn't understand.

Dude,
Other than being cool what is the (if any) advantage over paddling a canoe. Seems to me a very weak stroke is all to be had standing up. Far more powerful sitting or kneeling. Try it standing or/and sitting on the ground. Are you advertising that you're not afraid of tipping/falling over? If you're the show me kind I hope you don't fall in wearing a Hong Kong suit.

I worked my entire career for a government agency that raised the bar in the use of acronyms...FAA. I used to joke that the FAA never met an acronym it didn't like. To this day, I still talk (and type) in acronyms.

In 17 different jobs with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), I did a lot of technical writing. I can assure you that their style manual requires that every acronym or abbreviation be explained at the first use in each document, on the assumption that the recipient has no prior knowledge. This would have been true also at the Sacramento Flight Inspection Field Office (SAC FIFO).:lol:

I think the advantage to paddleboarding is the greater strain it places on your core muscles, so there's a fitness/health angle to it.

I think the advantage to paddleboarding is the greater strain it places on your core muscles, so there's a fitness/health angle to it.

Paddling a SUP is more work, therefore more beneficial as exercise. The added challenge of balance is also an advantage. As we age, anything that will improve core strength and balance is a good thing.

Well I'm hungry and I thought SUP stood for supper, boy am I disappointed!

Why should I google all this stuff?
Most of the time I'm not interested enough to google.
I'll just go read something that .. oh never mind ..

Wifey B: But you were interested enough to rant? Time to type rant, 72 seconds, time to google term, 8 seconds. :lol:

And don't blame acronyms on the young. Those in your generation, (1800's, 1900's, I'm not sure when exactly) had and still have plenty. Is it rude to introduce terms that some of us have never heard of? Yes, every generation has it's slang too. You talk about engineering stuff that I have to look up if I want to understand. Maybe we should only use words found in basal readers. :D

Well I'm hungry and I thought SUP stood for supper, boy am I disappointed!

Wifey B: Well there is an acronym for dinner. Unfortunately, it could be quite confusing due to it's other use. It's DNR. :rofl:

There is an acronym, it's a photo of a medium rare steak from Shula's.

SUP is just another TLA. No biggie!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom