Unidentified Maxwell Anchor Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryM

Guru
Vessel Name
Pelago
Vessel Make
Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
I can't think of a more knowledgeable group of boaters to ask for help with this. I simply can't identify this windlass.

My new boat has an anchor platform with integral roller. It is equipped with a Maxwell windlass that has what appears to be an all-rope drum/chain wheel/capstan/clutch. It has controls at both upper and lower helm stations and the bow. When I bought the boat, there was an undersized Danforth anchor with a badly bent stock that exited the roller at an angle and just plain looked bad. I replaced it with an appropriately sized Lewmar Delta which now feeds through the roller and stows at a perfect angle.

Now for the issue. There is no room for any chain between the anchor and windlass when stowed. I went to Maxwell’s website and could find no reference to this model, or anything like it for that matter. All of the switch gear, relays and winch motor are all marked Maxwell, but the windlass itself has no markings other than part numbers cast into the various parts. The decal makes reference to rope size, but there is no mention of chain size, and the jaws don't look like they are designed for links. Interestingly, they are different top and bottom.

Does anyone on the forum recognize this windlass?

Can an all-rope rode still provide reasonable anchoring performance? I’ve heard that 7:1 scope is the key to getting decent holding with an all-rope rode. My boating is limited to the relatively soft bottoms encountered in the Galveston Bay, Corpus Christi Bay, points between and some offshore.

I hate to throw the windlass out because it appears to operate very well and is still in good shape.

Any ideas or advice any of you might have would be greatly appreciated.:)

Attachments

• After 1.jpg
    After 1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 42
  • After 2.jpg
    After 2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Windlass 1.jpg
    Windlass 1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Windlass 2.jpg
    Windlass 2.jpg