Boom tender lift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ole Hank

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hanks Dream
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler44
I have a 2015 44ST. While lifting a 190 pound tender with motor it is very creeky, sounds like there is just too much strain on the blocks or system. Does anyone have experience with this. I am thinking of upgrading the two lower cheek blocks which are rated at 540 pounds. Not sure why else it would be so scary. You get the feeling something is going to fly apart.

Need more info or hire an engineer...

If yours is like the one in the current brochure (www.beneteau.com/sites/default/files/public/Produit/PDF/Swift_Trawler_Gamme_2016_en.pdf[/url]) I think you have reached or exceeded the full lifting capacity of the system.
The lifting boom on my boat is more robust than the Beneteau system, yet there is no way I would attempt that lift with it.
Putting on better blocks may help eliminate the noises that have alerted you to the overload, but won't reduce the overload.

If yours is like the one in the current brochure (www.beneteau.com/sites/default/files/public/Produit/PDF/Swift_Trawler_Gamme_2016_en.pdf[/url]) I think you have reached or exceeded the full lifting capacity of the system.
The lifting boom on my boat is more robust than the Beneteau system, yet there is no way I would attempt that lift with it.
Putting on better blocks may help eliminate the noises that have alerted you to the overload, but won't reduce the overload.

The system is rated according to beneteau at 270 pounds. I figure there is some level of safety on that so 180 pounds would be well within the ability.

For those interested I replaced the cheek blocks which seems to have solved the problem. Although the original cheek blocks are rated at 560 pounds the bearings are loose and tend to bind.

Is there any way to increase the 270 pound capacity? Is the limit the mast, boom, electric hoist, or what? There are some nice center console inflatable RIBs but with engine would be talking close to 500 pounds...

Electric winch

Hi Guys
I converted my boom lift with a couple of wire rope blocks (Schaeffer) and a 3500lb badland winch $150. Now I just press a button. Dead easy.

Attachments

• IMAG0564.jpg
    IMAG0564.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 351
I have a 2015 44ST. While lifting a 190 pound tender with motor it is very creeky, sounds like there is just too much strain on the blocks or system. Does anyone have experience with this. I am thinking of upgrading the two lower cheek blocks which are rated at 540 pounds. Not sure why else it would be so scary. You get the feeling something is going to fly apart.

A fellow ST44 owner here in the SF Bay Area had some modifications done to hoist a dinghy with a 10hp motor. He switched the boom to 3:1, re-routed some of the lines and added extra screws to the fly bridge settee because it was moving whenever he used the electric winch.

A fellow ST44 owner here in the SF Bay Area had some modifications done to hoist a dinghy with a 10hp motor. He switched the boom to 3:1, re-routed some of the lines and added extra screws to the fly bridge settee because it was moving whenever he used the electric winch.

Did that owner post a how to and some pics any where here?

Has anyone added a crane and using that instead of the mast/boom/hoist?

Has anyone opted to install davits on the swim platform versus using the boom and bringing it up and down the flybridge each time? Someone told me adding wait to the bridge will make the boat rock more... I'm thinking if I install davits on the swim platform maybe I can get a larger/heavier dinghy. I am after one with a console, steering wheel, etc, so no tiller, and they all seem too heavy for the boom/winch. Thanks!

That dinghy will "likely" be too heavy for your swim grid too. You will probably have to beef up the supports for it.

That dinghy will "likely" be too heavy for your swim grid too. You will probably have to beef up the supports for it.

Correct, but that would be easier than beefing up the other option:thumb:

Interesting. I see most swim platforms support 1,000+ pounds on boats of this size. What do you think the ST 44 capacity is? Depending on which route I go, I probably need 3-500 pounds...

Mine is creeky (scary) too, but has never failed. Gross weight is around 240 lbs.

I have had to replace both cheek blocks twice due to the UV deterioration. Now I protect them from the sun with a rag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom